4/19/21

Signing Off with a Finish

The packing is all finished. This morning I just need to fill the bird feeders and water all the pots. And since I have so many seeds in pots right now, watering the pots is a significant investment in time. We're expecting warm weather all week, though, and so all those little green things needs them a drink before we go. 

Before I got after the packing yesterday, I turned the final corner on the binding for the Sundress quilt.


And that makes a finish. It ends up at 74 x 74 inches. I started this quilt on September 9, 2017. It was my second oldest WIP. 


Sadie was my quilt inspector yesterday. Smitty has already rendered his verdict...too girly for Mancats. Sadie likes it, though. She's wondering when I'm going to make one of these dresses for her to wear.


Here's how it looks from the back. 


The backing fabric was from a quilt shop we visited at the beginning of our USA Perimeter tour. I was only just getting started on the embroidery at the time, but I found that fabric at a shop in Whitehall, Montana, called The Dysfunctional Quilter. I can recall standing in the shop and looking up the size of the quilt so I'd know how much to buy. I can't always recall where I purchased certain fabrics. In fact, sometimes I look in my stash and find something and say, "Where did THAT come from?" And then I'm sure the fabric fairies have visited and left behind little surprises.

Finishing the Sundress quilt was my goal for April's


and so I'll link up there when the party gets going.

So anyway...that was pretty much the day aside from packing. We needed to pick up a couple of items in town, and so Mike suggested dinner out. It was such a nice warm day, we could eat at an outdoor venue we like. Just as we were leaving, I snapped this picture of the Black Tartarian cherry tree. It's looking fabulous just now. It's a very good time for it to be blooming.


I noticed a wild cherry tree at the edge of our property is also in full bloom. I want to pay more attention to it this year. No reason I can't use wild cherries in some of my recipes, is there? Note to self: investigate the use of wild cherries.

Okay, and so when we arrived at the restaurant, we marveled at their beautiful wisteria. We visited this restaurant one week ago, and the wisteria wasn't even close to blooming. It's amazing what a week of warm weather can do.


When I came upstairs to write this post, I left Smitty fully engaged in his morning sunbath. It's just about the best thing ever when the sun shines in on his pole in the morning.


So we'll be packing up the last minute items and taking off a little later. Looking forward to seeing the beach and the gift of dry weather in April. I might be back sooner, but you can expect me for sure and certain on Friday.

18 comments:

Barbara said...

Every time I stand before a beautiful beach, its waves seem to whisper to me: If you choose the simple things and find joy in nature’s simple treasures, life and living need not be so hard. ~ Psyche Roxas-Mendoza

Julierose said...

Oh do enjoy your beach outing...stay safe....;)))
That wisteria is gorgeous!! I've never tried growing one here in the NE...
Love the color...
hugs Julierose

Darlene S said...

Your Sundress quilt is so very lovely. Great stitchery, cheerful colors and fabrics and sweet quilting. I love that feeling when you finish stitching the binding. Congratulations.

Janarama said...

Love your Sundress quilt with all of the bright happy colors and the beautiful hand embroidered blocks. Have fun on your little getaway to visit your friends.

CA Bobbie said...

I also love your sundress quilt. Have a great time at the beach. I like just having a link for you. I'll go with that for now- same with the other blogs I follow that are in jeopardy.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Sadie looks like an excellent quilt inspector, testing for comfort and warmth ;-)
Beautiful sundress quilt and well done on finishing your UFO. Have a great week.

Jenny said...

Have a great trip!

Christine said...

Have a great, safe time.
I am not jealous... my eyes turn this shade green sometimes. lol

piecefulwendy said...

Enjoy your time at the beach! Your sundress quilt really finished up nicely. I didn't realize it was that large, so even more reason to celebrate the finish!

Elaine S. said...

Love the finished quilt! The backing is perfect! Great job! ❤️❤️

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Congratulations on a beautiful finish. So nice to have a wonderful accomplishment before moving to the next adventure.

Lyndsey said...

Enjoy your beach trip. I would love to visit the beach but it would have to be a day trip as I haven't got any more holiday until August.The sundress quilt is fabulous and the backing is perfect.

QuiltGranma said...

My brother and his wife live in Everett, WA so it is just a short jaunt of a day trip to Puget Sound. They called last night from there wishing we were there enjoying it with them. The lapping of the waves on the shore, the lighthouse nearby so picturesque, the ferry's churning back and forth. We had a nice, long distance visit. Enjoy your beach time!

Vicki W said...

Your quilt turned out beautiful! Have a great trip!

Kate said...

Sundesses turned out beautifully! Congrats on the finish. We've had rain and cold for the last week. I'm hoping we get the pretty and warm this week.

Kim said...

Such a cute sundress quilt! And the wisteria makes the restaurant all the more lovely.

Patty said...

Lovely. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I love the dresses quilt. Thanks for all your hard work on feed burner problem. Sorry there isn't a solution.