4/16/21

Pretty Pots

Hear ye, Hear ye: This applies only to email subscribers. I am in the process of attempting to import all of you into a new mail server. If you receive an email from Mail Chimp regarding this blog, don't be surprised, and don't worry. At this point, even I'm not sure what's going to happen. Read it and do what it says, and we'll go from there. It will take some time to import all the addresses, and so I'll update when I know more.

The day went pretty much as expected yesterday. We called ahead to the garden center to see if they could accept payments. They could, and so we drove back to pick up the clematis we had our eyes on. It's sitting at the front door now, waiting for someone to plant it in the ground. There isn't much to see yet, but it has buds on it. It should bloom within the next month, I expect. After that, we did our grocery shopping, and then home. We had some lunch, and short naps, and then I got to work potting all the annuals purchased the day before.

In the three patio pots, I planted gerbera daisies, snapdragons, and calibrachoa (something new to me).


The snapdragons from years past usually come back each year. I'm afraid the winter ice storm killed them off, and so we started fresh.


Of course, we always include a scarecat. It does a terrible job keeping critters from eating the flowers.


In the pots lining the sidewalk, I planted geraniums. It's one thing the deer and squirrels won't eat.


Marigolds, because...no reason.


This is cyclamen...it's something I planted last year, and I was surprised to see it came back. It's sheltered under a fir tree, and so it had some protection from the ice storm. When it blooms, it will have pink flowers.

 
Finally, in my attempt to get something to grow in this shade-only-all-day pot, I'm trying impatiens. I needed a shade lover here, and the impatiens were Mike's suggestion. One would think after living in the house nearly 20 years, we'd have this figured out by now, but no. I've tried and tried and tried to get gerbera daisies to grow here. This year, I gave up and tried them in the pots where the sun shines.


Also, I caught a picture of the hanging pots. That far one hangs very near the catio. Hummingbirds visit and drive the kitties crazy.


While I was out this morning, I noticed more tulips ready to bloom. I expect these will be open by tomorrow.


Before we left yesterday morning, I paused to take a picture of the flowering plums lining the driveway. These were surprisingly undamaged by the ice storm, and now they are in bloom, looking so pretty.


Also, the red flowering currant at the edge of the woods is blooming. I feel very fortunate to have this Pacific Northwest native growing wild.


The white tulips are blooming. These are the only ones the deer won't eat, and so they are the only ones planted in the ground. All the other tulips are in whiskey barrels on the patios where deer fear to tread.


And this is my favorite daffodil. I've already posted a picture in a previous post, but you wanted to see it again, didn't you?


Oh yes, and the peonies are getting taller. The two on the far right and left are still just putting out shoots from the main root, and so there isn't much to see there. The one in the lower left corner of the image below has some tiny buds on it. That one in the upper right corner is the one that never bloomed last year. It went from bud straight to seed without ever producing a flower. Let's hope it performs better this year.


The cherry trees are getting ready to burst into bloom.


When we arrived at the garden center, I paused to take a picture of their pretty pansies planted on either side of their driveway.


So yesterday was all about the flowers, but I did get some hand-stitching done in the morning. I made a little more progress on this in the afternoon, but didn't get a picture.


Also, I turned the second corner on the Sundress binding.


And everyone had a good day because Smitty caught the first gopher of the season. Then he spent about an hour cleaning his nose and face.


It's impurrtent to look your best.


This morning, he's blissed out in the morning sun. It's the best time of the year in Smitty's world.


So it's going to be another nice day today, and warmer than yesterday. I'm going to get out and deadhead the hydrangeas, and pull a few weeks around some of the bulb flowers. Mike is getting ready to spray weeds, but I need to clear them out of some of the areas that can't be sprayed. No doubt there will be time for some slow-stitching, but in this weather, we're getting things done outside.

10 comments:

Barbara said...

What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness. ~ John Steinbeck

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love the flowers! We got no snow in the valley, but the mountains got anywhere from a dusting to 6 inches depending on altitude. Happy no snow, but it did cool down a bit much - a little warmth just spoils ya.

Quilting Babcia said...

Snow here this morning but just a dusting, the higher hills nearby had upwards of 6 inches with isolated power outages. So its great to see your flower photos!

Nancy in IN said...

Our flowers are in bloom and trees are leafing. Red bud are beautiful and dog wood are blooming. Such a beautiful time of year.
Got info from Champ. Updated my information which is the same as before.
Be safe.

Carol in Texas said...

I am envious of the many things you can grow in your part of the country. I love cyclamen, but here in central Texas they are a pot plant. I buy one or two every winter and enjoy their beauty indoors, but they cannot stand our summer heat. If you have good luck with deer not eating geraniums, I may give that a try.....we have LOTS of deer! I enjoyed seeing all that is growing in your yard.

Christine said...

Great post about gardening....have you thought of Heuchara for your shade only pot? Flowers aren't up to much in my opinion but the variety of leaf colour is wonderful. I have about 10 different ones in my blue bed.. blue being the colour of the ornaments!!

SJSM said...

You and Mike have such green thumbs. I know there is a lot of work to make it happen and all we see are the results. Our vegetable garden is growing. No expectation of anything for quite a while except the greenery getting established and strong for the coming heat. Tomorrow it is supposed to reach 80*. Yesterday is one of the better days I’ve had in many months. Perhaps we will get through this virus. The kids are in the process of full vaccination. Daughter receive the first shot this week. She is the last in the family needing a vaccine.

Leigh said...

I love the pretty newsletter format. Daffies have come and gone here for the most party self starter cherry is blooming. Hubby is mowing the lawn. Bee Balm gifted from another gardner has taken root, strawberry plants are up and reset. I noticed something coming up but not sure what it is so I will hold off pulling it out. Still no hand crafts as I still ache. We both got our 2nd vaccine this week so in 2 weeks we should be good to go. Our porch has started its rehab, new cement slab and new slider which is very heavy to move. Enjoy the day.

kc said...

Very pretty flowers and trees! And, ick. Gotta get the gopher guts off that purrrrty purrrfect face and paws! Hope your weather holds for a few more days!

Kathy said...


Caladium are nice in a large pot in a shady spot. Like begonias, they have to be lifted for the winter, but they're huge and colorful, so worth the trouble.
Your clematis photos are encouraging me to get one this year, if I can get out to the "good" garden center. Fingers crossed for a good day this week.