4/2/21

All Flowers All the Time

It's starting to be that time of year when I need to walk around the house each morning to check out what's new. Things are starting to pop, for sure. One of the cherry trees is days away from bursting into bloom. The flowering plums are also very close. Yesterday I noticed one of my favorite flowers is getting ready to open...the Star Magnolia.

I'm really hoping it will bloom soon. It's flowers are so beautiful, but also very delicate, and they get beaten up by the rain pretty badly. We have a few dry days ahead, but I'm not so naive as to think the rain won't be returning to Oregon next week sometime. The forecast is good for Saturday, however, and Erik and Mae and I will be heading off to the farmer's market. We've missed the farmer's market for more than a year.

When this photo popped up on my Facebook memories yesterday,

I was motivated to take a little stroll down to the woods to see if the trilliums were blooming. Not yet. I found only their green shoots, but lots of them.

Another week or so, and there will be a carpet of these lovely whites. Along the way, I saw lots of little wild violets.

And this Oregon native, the red flowering currant should open in the next day or two. It's so pretty.

Of course, we still have lots of daffodils.

I noticed these crazy tulips blooming in one of the whiskey battels. They have no stems!

The daphne is covered in buds, but I could find only one open flower. Mike is looking forward to this one. It puts off the most beautiful fragrance.

Of course, I knew you'd want to see the crocus again.

Back inside, I was making the final two flowers for Jenny's Flower Garden.

Taking a break, I traced out the next "name plate" for the newest Shop Hop 2.0 quilt. It's ready for stitching now. When that's finished, I'll make the next block for that quilt.

It will take it's place with the ones I have so far.

Also, the newest Posies block was posted. The color of the month is supposed to be light or bright blues. I'm sticking with florals for these blocks. I dug all through my stash looking for something light or bright. Apparently I'm the one who's light on those colors. I selected this darker blue floral.

When I had it appliqued, traced out and ready for stitching, I went back to Jenny's Flower Garden to finish the final flower block.

There are the final four ready for the final row of blocks.

And then I made the three "blanks,"

And all 49 blocks for this puppy were finished. There are 1,825 squares cut 2 x 2. That is a whole lot of cutting, my friends. No way I can fit the whole thing in an image now, so you get this angled one from my design floor.

This could not have been accomplished without my excellent helper cats. Sadie was ready to help me lay out all those little squares.

Smitty kept an eagle eye out as I matched up all those little seams.

And that was my flowery sewing day yesterday. This morning, I stitched up and finished the next Posies block.

I'll be linking up tomorrow with 

Here are the four blocks I have for this quilt so far. These are really fun. They stitch up fast, and then they are easily trimmed and bordered.

So, this morning I'll try to get the stitching finished for the "name plate" and work on the next block for the Shop Hop 2.0 quilt. After that, I'm going to make a stab at quilting the Sundress quilt. I worry that its large size might be too much for my shoulder, but I'm still going to give it a try.

Also on today's agenda, it's time to start some seeds for this year's garden. I'm growing the same things I grew last year: corn, beets, green beans, zucchini, and sunflowers. This year, I'm adding cantaloupe and pickling cucumbers. I'll save the corn, beets, and green beans, and sow those directly into the ground. As starters, I'll plant the seeds for the cantaloupe, zucchini, and pickling cucumbers, and I'll also start some sunflowers. Tomato starts are on order. (Note to self: find out when I can expect delivery.) 

I love this time of the year...so hopeful. With the pandemic danger receding as more people are vaccinated, there's good reason to think our long dark winter is coming to a close. 

15 comments:

Barbara said...

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow. ~ Audrey Hepburn

Anonymous said...

Love all of the pictures of blooming things, stitching things, and, of course, the kitties!
I also love the phrase of the day...that would have been a good motto for my dad...he had the most amazing vegetable garden every year!
Sandra B
scb304@juno.com

Julierose said...

Such pretty RSC Posies blocks!! Lovely early Spring in your gardens...
Here, I see some green daff shoots and just a couple iris leaves poking up; our woods' trees are budding red against the blue skies today--despite the below freezing temps!! ;000..I hope your Easter celebration is a joyful one...
hugs, Julierose ;)))

Cathy said...

Your posy blocks are so cute! My helper cat (Alfie) is more of a rotary cutting kind of cat. I have to pick him up and smother him with hugs and kisses to get him to leave (works every time). Enjoy the Farmer’s Market. We are at least a month away (2 months for one market) here.

SJSM said...

The Irish chain is a pattern I truly like. It is a visual pleasure seeing you work on yours. In our garden, the camellias and azalea are almost done. The bloom from Christmas until late April. The calla lilies are going strong and the roses are budding up. Your flowers are so delicate looking at this stage and bursting with hope that spring is here.

piecefulwendy said...

So fun to see all the flowers in this post. I was just going to look up trillium as I couldn't remember what it looks like, and I opened your post and there it was! I've never seen stemless tulips - how strange, but pretty, just the same. Your Posies blocks are so cute, and the Irish Chain quilt is so pretty with all that color! Enjoy the Farmer's Market!

scraphappy said...

So many pretty flowers. Thanks so much for sharing! There aren't many quilts that I make again and again, but the Irish chain is definitely one that I keep coming back to. So many great fabrics.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Lots of pretty blooming things at your place! In Colorado, we're still waiting. The Irish Chain quilt is going to be beautiful - love the combination of colors you have there. And the posy blocks are so fun with embroidery and patchwork combined!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I see bits of BLUE throughout your post. That teapot is SEW darling! Best of luck on the assembly of your lovely large quilt.

Deb A said...

Love your scrappy irish chain! I have one going as well at 2 inches.... but it has been stalled for a long time (years). Love all the new spring flowers popping up.

Maggie said...

Love the poses, they will be making a beautiful quilt.

Jenny said...

Your posie blocks are gorgeous, so far I've printed off the patterns but that's as far as I've got. In fact I'm wondering if it might suit me better to get them enlarged a little.

grammajudyb said...

I so enjoyed your “flowery “ post! Very little sprouting here, but soon I’m sure! I thing your blue posies block fits the bright blue! IMO!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

The flower garden is coming along quite nicely, but the posies are really catching my eye. So beautiful!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a wonderful post! I am totally in love with your posies blocks and also the many many tiny blocks making up the bigger blocks. Coming together so beautifully. Thanks for sharing garden photos...love to see the bloom and green!