3/21/21

All Work and No Play

If you were rooting for me to get caught up on my housework yesterday, your efforts were appreciated. I won't say the whole house is clean, but the main level is. That's the only part anyone ever sees, and so I'm satisfied until the next chore comes up on the calendar...which won't be until Wednesday. Between now and then...all play. Except for Tuesday when it stops raining, and I can get out and pull some weeds. Somehow weeding manages to be less detestable than housework.

While I was writing yesterday's post, Smitty was sitting across the room considering different strategies for murdering his tail.


Admittedly, it looked at him funny.


The only sewing I did yesterday was to finish up the little Bee Brave stitchery. These are words to live by in these COVID times, don't you think?


I'll finish this off by adding a couple of borders to it. There are some perfect fabrics in my stash, and then I'll turn it into a little wall-hanging. And this being Sunday, I'll be linking up to:


For our first day of Spring at the Three Cats Ranch, we had a mixture of rain and sunshine, which is pretty typical at this time of the year.


Taking advantage of some of the sunshine, I filled the birdfeeders. While I was out, I took a couple of pictures. We have three HUGE heather plants, all in bloom now.


Also, I noticed green shoots on the clematis planted last year. This was very encouraging. I worried the winter ice storm might have killed it off. They are sensitive to extreme cold.


Back inside, I baked the Lemon Meringue Tart for Two I've been talking about. This was supposed to be done for Pi Day, but then...I don't know...I think I sewed all day instead.


Asparagus was 99 cents per pound. We love asparagus, and so I tried a new recipe for Parmesan Roasted Asparagus. This was super simple and delicious. I did it in my toaster oven.


While we were traveling, we came across a new cut of meat we'd never seen before. This was one of our expeditions when we were buying up the meat counter in an attempt to get our total over $200 in order to use a $20 off coupon. So if you think about it, we exchanged the coupon for this cut known as a tomahawk steak. It's basically a prime rib roast with just one rib left long. Kind of like the handle for a steak popsicle. Mike roasted and seared it and it was very tasty.


We had all of that with some Colcannon left over from our St. Patrick's Day dinner. I like the steak with some of my homemade hot cherry pepper jelly. Mike likes his with horseradish sauce.


Our bellies full, Smitty decided it was a good time to take a nap, especially after his many hours of hunting his tail. The problem with his tail is when he bites it, it bites him back. Weird, huh?


Okay, so there probably won't be much sewing today, or much of anything else. Erik and Mae will be here around 1:00 p.m., and then we have reservations for wine tasting at 1:30. We haven't seen Erik and Mae since early December...the day I broke my shoulder, and we parked our truck in their driveway for that fateful ride. It'll be good to see them again. Now we just need to get Matthew vaccinated. He'll be eligible on May 1st, and then we can all get together again.

Next, I'll be making our Sunday morning blueberry oatmeal pancakes. Mike drove into town yesterday and found some buttermilk, unavailable on our last shopping trip. Yes, I know you can make buttermilk with regular milk and lemon juice, but it isn't as good as the real thing.

With my Bee Brave stitchery finished, I'll get a start on the 10th block for Dancing Chickens and Flying Pigs. It shouldn't take long to stitch.


When that one is finished, I'll be tracing out a new project. Yay! Next up in the sewing room, though, is my challenge piece. I really need to get going on that. So there's plenty to do. What's going on in your sewing room these days?

8 comments:

Barbara said...

Men are like wine – some turn to vinegar, but the best improve with age. ~ Pope John XXIII

Cathy Smith said...

I spotted a Tomahawk steak for the first time last week. Ribeye is my favorite cut of meat, but being by myself, that was just too big to splurge on. I did score myself some mighty fine ribeyes. What makes them even tastier? They were on sale!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
I like your Bee stitching..so pretty and true. My cat used to so the
same thing with her tail. Your Heather flowers are beautiful! The Asparagus looks yummy. Have a great day!

Karrin Hurd said...

Love your Bee Brave stitchery. I have never seen a tomahawk steak. Love asparagus!

gpc said...

Everything looks so beautiful and tasty, oh my. There is not a bud or bloom here yet, but soon, surely soon. I'll look for that steak cut at our local butcher. We've been buying local meat and they are not so fancy. I can't wait for local asparagus, love them so much, especially roasted. I like a twist of pancetta but Jack says they are too salty that way. Love the bee sampler. And I sort of envy Smitty; I can't even get a glimpse of MY tail anymore. It seems like the bigger it gets, the harder it is to turn around a see it. Strange, huh? Have a wonderful time with the kids! That is the BEST part of being vaccinated!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Yummy dinner plate! The 'bee' stitchery is cute and I like it in the black - very traditional with a bee pattern. I had company today = spent 90 percent of the time outside as it was suny, no wind, and 69 degrees. GLORIOUS

piecefulwendy said...

Smitty and that perplexing tail :-) My challenge project is 3/4ths done, so today I'm going to sneak out in the sunshine before it disappears in preparation for tomorrow's rainy day. I need a sketchbook, so I'm using that as my excuse. Enjoy your day!

Ann said...

I love seeing all your projects. I've been busy crocheting a garland for my daughter's Christmas tree. It's a project I dreamed up last year. I decided she needed a pretty delicate garland made by me. I'm making it in sections then I will assemble it. It's a fun make.