12/29/20

Turning a Corner

Is it just me, or are the days kind of going by in a blur? I’m still spending a good portion of my day sitting and resting. Nearly everything I do requires a “recovery” period these days. Getting showered and dressed is the most difficult part of the day, and so I have to sit for a while until I’ve recovered enough to plod ahead with the next thing. Still, things are looking up. I can’t remember if I’ve mentioned this already, but it feels as if I’ve turned a corner. The shoulder is still plenty debilitating, but it isn’t quite as scary as it was in the beginning, when I had to check even the tiniest of movements or risk being gripped by excruciating pain. I’m still gripped with pain upon certain movements, but it doesn’t hurt as much as it did a week ago. And so I’m feeling more able to do some of the things I love doing.

The kitties are grateful for a respite from their medicinal cat duties. Smitty had a good long nap in one of his favorite chairs yesterday.


Sadie took a turn warming Mike’s lap yesterday. His lap has gone begging through this whole shoulder debacle, and so fair’s fair. Or fur’s fur, in Sadie Catonese speak.


There’s been no more slow-stitching since my last report, but I am close to finishing the piece I’m working on. Yesterday, I decided to trace out two more short projects. If memory serves, this first “Liberty Sampler” is a pattern from Kathy Schmitz. I downloaded it a while back, and I’d like to have a small quilt appropriate for the 4th of July. It's stitched all in reds and blues.


Also, this small piece. This is a design from Gail Pan.


It was part of a quilt along from this Facebook group.

If you’re on Facebook, it’s free to join. All you have to do is make a request. Then, all the files for the quilt-along are there on the page. The blocks were all created by designers from Australia. The quilt is very cute. I didn’t want to make the whole quilt, but some of the block designs were appropriate as small stand-alone pieces, and so I saved a few of them to my Dropbox.

Today I might try doing some sewing. I’m able to cut with my rotary cutter and cutting mat, but I haven’t really tried sitting at the machine, threading it, or actually sewing. It might present problems I haven’t anticipated. One thing I discovered yesterday is that my arm isn’t really strong enough to heft my iron around to get a nice press on my fabrics. My friend Sharon mentioned using a travel iron, and that might actually work. I’ll give that a try today.

You might recall I was going to start sewing the embroidered snow flakes into a finished quilt top for December’s OMG. Well, OMG...I broke my shoulder, and so that goal was completely wiped off the map. Still, I’m thinking I might be able to get started on it. I’m using this free pattern.



I’m going to put an embroidered snowflake in each of the spaces for the pieced snowflakes shown on the pattern, and then use six pieced snowflakes for the floating blocks in the middle of the quilt. I needed some help narrowing down my fabric choices, and so I asked the Resident Engineer for his input this morning.


The only question now is whether I have enough of each to do what I want to do. There’s only one way to find out.

So...I’m saying I’ll do this today, and maybe I will and maybe I won’t. Each day, every hour, is just take it as it comes for now. Yesterday I got a haircut, and that made me feel a whole lot better. I’m hoping I’ll be able to do a little sewing today, and to get just one more step closer to normal. Wish me luck.

18 comments:

Barbara said...

It is a token of healthy and gentle characteristics, when women of high thoughts and accomplishments love to sew; especially as they are never more at home with their hearts than while so occupied. ~ Nathaniel Hawthorne

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I'm very glad to hear you are on the mend. I hope you enjoyed Christmas and I wish you a very happy 2021 :)

gpc said...

Well if the kitties say you are getting better -- actually well enough that they can leave you! -- we can all finally feel confident that it is true.

Terri in BC said...

It's so nice to hear that you are on the mend! Goals can change or be extended - I think you've done great to manage getting some stitching done at all. I haven't done much this last month, but I did manage to get the grandkid's PJ's made for Christmas Eve. Stay healthy and safe, and good thoughts for more healing.

Quilting Babcia said...

It does indeed sound like you've turned a corner on your recovery, hopefully everything will speed up a bit as you go along. I like that Nordic star pattern, looks like it will be a good 'road to recovery' quilt.

Julierose said...

You just have to do what you can do for a while yet...glad your shoulder is healing well.. and that the constant pain isn't as bad...
It is difficult to just sit when you want to be up and "doing"...
Sending prayers for your recovery hugs, Julierose

Nancy said...

Put in a new blade before you try and cut. It will take less pressure to cut thru the fabric. You might only be able to do one strip a day. I am glad you are doing better and even considering doing something. I was fortunate to have my daughter come over and cut fabric for me so that I could use one hand to run blocks thru the machine while I was recovering. Your description brought it all back, those first weeks are a blur. I try to get a certain number of steps a day and that was not happening for me. Wish I had had the medical cats.

Vicki W said...

You are keeping an amazingly great attitude during this! One hour at a time is just the right approach and your priorities seem to be right on target.....get sewing first!

Anonymous said...

So glad you seem to be moving in the right direction towards recovery...one day at a time will get you there!
And the kitties know when you need them most, and when they can ease off a bit on the medical care....
Your new projects will be great...love the looks of both of them!
If you are like me, getting a haircut just lifts my spirits...hope it did for you as well...
Take care!
Sandra B
scb304@juno.com

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Slow and steady wins the race - or in this case, helps with healing. Oh, a hair cut is so refreshing! Some cute projects planned for the horizon.

JoannU said...

So glad to hear that you are on the mend. I know it is frustrating to have things you want to do but can't quite do them yet. Your doctor kitties will continue to watch over you, and it sounds like Mike has a good handle on the kitchen-end of things. Now you just need to rest. I am one of those commenters who is set to no-reply. I have no idea how to fix that. Just know that I am out here, enjoying your antics and accomplishments each day (as well as those of the kitties!). You are helping me keep sane in this very insane time.

SJSM said...

It’s good to listen to your body. Listen well when it says stop. You can always start again when it says go.

piecefulwendy said...

You are making progress, and that's fun to see. Glad Mike got a little kitty cuddling too; he's probably felt a bit abandoned - LOL.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

The entire year has been a blur I think - or at least so it appears to me anyway. It seems the kitties must think you're on the mend if they're turning their attention elsewhere. Funny how animals know these things. Your new projects look like they will be so much fun and I have to say that I love those wonderful blues you and the Resident Engineer have chosen. Perfect for a snowflake quilt I think.

Emma's Daughter said...

I’m so glad you are feeling better. I’ve had 2 frozen shoulder that required surgery and PT so I feel your pain. The kitties have been faithful during your recovery and have earned extra treats😉. Here’s to a better 2021 ~ happy new year!

Susan said...

It is hard sitting around not being able to do what you want to do. It is actually quite stressful. I am glad you have a good attitude about it, because it is what it is. At least you can see and feel progress and that is so important.

Yes, this entire year has been a blur. I don't know how it got to be the end of December already. Sheesh. Love the pose and facial expression of that picture of Smitty. Here's to a better year in 2021.

Terry said...

So glad to hear you are healing nicely. I have been amazed at how much you accomplish during the day and then you still have time to blog post. I've always had to pace myself and then I still fall asleep during movies watching TV. One thing that has always made me feel better is guided meditation. I have some old DVDs I pop into my TV but you can find just about anything on-line now. With the meditation, you don't just release all the inner ramblings of your mind, but you also direct your breath or healing energy to various parts of your body. You probably already know this because it seams like you're game to trying just about anything. Sometimes we forget about the simple things that can help stimulate healing. Even if I'm sad, meditation will help. I still have the problem of my cats pouncing on me in the middle of my chest. While I try to rest, they want to mountain climb, and it hurts. Take care and be still.

Kate said...

I like your two new embroidery projects. Hope you were able to get in some stitching time at the machine without too much trouble.