12/30/20

Some Sewing

It was slow-going, but I actually sewed something yesterday. You have no idea how happy this makes me. Only a little progress was made, but there is no hurry on this project. I’m just happy to be able to do *something* at the sewing machine.

Of course, no sewing can happen without the sewlful helping crew nearby. Sadie occupied the floor where I wanted to walk.


Smitty occupied the table where I wanted to cut.


First up was, of course, to turn on and thread the machine. Of course, the on-off switch is on the right side of the machine, but that didn’t stop me. I used my left hand, but realized I could have reached it with my right hand just as easily.


I’m experimenting with the ideas I have for the setting. The 8-pointed star (pieced snowflake) blocks are 10-1/2 inches unfinished. I’d already trimmed the embroidered snowflake blocks to 10 inches, and so I needed to make them a little larger. After considering how much fabric I had to work with, I decided to trim them to 9 inches before adding a border around the whole. I’m using scraps from the quilt back for the snow globes quilt, finished a couple of months ago. I think this will work out well since some of the snowflakes are stitched with a gold metallic floss.


Then I was ready to do the cutting and the sewing for the 8-pointed (pieced snowflake) star. Smitty was very concerned about this part. He watched like a hawk, making sure I got all my half square triangles heading in the right direction.


When it was all sewn together, it looked like this. I’ll need six of these.


So I made two of what will end up being 18 blocks total (12 embroidered snowflakes and 6 pieced snowflakes). It’s a slow process, but I’m just happy to be sewing again.


As I mentioned before, this was supposed to be my December OMG project. Maybe I’ll try it again in January. We have still a few weeks before we leave, and so possibly, I could get it done in time.

Poor Smitty has to go to the vet this morning. He's due for one of his vaccines, and so we'll be loading him into his crate pretty soon for a ride into town. He invariably hears the call of his doody while we're on the road, which is very pewmiliating for him. He really hates being locked in a crate. We should be home from that before noon, and I'll get back to my sewing then. 


11 comments:

Barbara said...

You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat. ~ Albert Einstein

MissPat said...

Hope the vet visit was accomplished without trauma or drama. Very nice that you were able to do some sewing. Can't keep a good woman down. But be sure to pace yourself.
Pat

Julierose said...

Great that you were able to sew a bit--it must have felt just great!!
I like that blue star...and the extended border fabric is so lovely--this will be a beauty...
take care and don't overdo...hugs, Julierose

Darlene S said...

Really beautiful block, purrfectly pieced. I'm impressed you were able to do this so soon after your accident. Good to see you getting back to sewing. I think the cats are doing a great job taking care of you. I just hope Smitty forgives you for his crate ride to the vet for shots.

Teresa aka MarieSews said...

WHOOOOOTTTTT!! So glad you are able to get back to sewing. The star block is gorgeous!

I'm also glad to hear that it's likely you won't need surgery. That is good news.

Take care.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Well done - beautifully pieced block. I thank my lucky stars that my vet is just 1 mile up the road - mine cry like babies the whole ride.

SJSM said...

Oh, Happy Day! Sewing again must feel so satisfying. Baby steps forward will still get you to your goals.

piecefulwendy said...

Poor Smitty, hope he's home and resting now. So glad you are able to sew. That block is so pretty!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Woo hoo - sewing happened! I'm so happy for you! I love your wonderful star block (have I mentioned just how much I appreciate blue?). And...you have inspired me in regards to embroidering snowflakes and I think they are going to put in an appearance on my next landscape. Of course that brainwave is always subject to change!
Poor Smitty - awwww - I feel so bad for him, but I know by now his trauma is over and I'm sure he enjoyed some special treats and skritches when he got home.

Kate said...

That had to feel good being able to get back into the sewing room! Your setting plan for the snowflake blocks is pretty cool. Hope you've been able to get in some good stitching time every day since.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Glad you are starting to sew again.