12/18/20

Sunday Drive on Thursday

Today marks two weeks since my accident. It seems as if it’s gone by fast, and yet, I’m kind of disappointed at how helpless I still feel. There is more mobility in my shoulder, and my thumb has improved enough to allow me to open child-proof caps and do some slow stitching. Still, I wish the pain in my shoulder would abate more. I’m still guarding it with every movement, and it drains my energy. Fortunately, I have excellent furrontline healthcare purrsonnel to ease my healing journey.


You’d have to go to an actual healthcare setting to find more faithful and diligent workers.


At days end, they are ‘zhausted.


Smitty was considering his options for a good period of shut-eye.


I gave them a break while I went on this little internet shopping binge...and when you have a broken shoulder, you should shop as much as possible. So, I saw this quilt on Instagram, quilted by a very talented person who calls herself “trish.in.stitches”. Look how cute this is.


I recognized this as a Bunny Hill Designs pattern, and then found the pattern called “Merry Merry Snowmen” on their website right here. There’s an optional button embellishment kit that can be found right here. And, yes, I spent way too much money on this, but it will make me happy just having it in my possession. I’m assuming I’ll be able to sew again some day. When I’m able, I think I’ll do mine in blues instead of reds.

For some reason I found myself kind of bummed yesterday morning. It was gloomy outside, and I was stuck inside. We had a wine shipment to pick up in Salem, and so we took a little drive into the country to get it. It was a nice diversion. I was able to wear my newly-patched coat, and I was able to put my earrings on by myself, using both hands. One must celebrate these little victories as they come along.

On the way home, we stopped and got McRib sandwiches at McDonalds. I like the McRib, and so it’s just lucky for me that they arrived back on the scene just when I needed some good old comfort food.

Some of you have posted some great snow pictures, and I’m enjoying see them. All I can say is, better you than me. On the other hand, you wouldn’t want to be me right now. 

19 comments:

Barbara said...

Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping. ~ Gertrude Stein

gpc said...

My gosh, look at the dedication on those furry faces. You are a fortunate woman, indeed. It's true, all shoulder injuries require a great deal of internet shopping to heal. I am evidently not shopping quite enough, but I have taken steps to address the lack. I am way impressed that you were able to use both hands to put on earrings, though. I can't do that without a fair amount of discomfort, and I imagine the same is true for you, too, so you are clearly just braver than I am, which is not surprising because I value whining and moaning more than you apparently do. The coat looks great!

Julierose said...

How great to have those little victories!! Sorry it is such a long process of healing..;(((
I like your coat patch--looks lovely. And, I do like your haircut--very flattering...my hair is down to my center back as I haven't gone to a salon!!
I mostly pony tail it or braid it...but I am longing to have it cut...
soon I hope if I can find a good hairdresser...

You should shop, shop, and shop again--I mean you HAVE to be ready for when you can sew once again, Right??? ;)))

Take care and hang in there...Hugs from my Winter Wonderland Julierose

Cherie in St Louis said...

Oh, your patch looks wonderful! It's bigger than I had pictured and it looks like it belongs right were it is. They don't call it retail therapy for nothing ;-)

Katie said...

I can't believe it's been two weeks either! But hooray again for the little victories. I've made that quilt (ahem...top...) and it is a super cute pattern. I made mine in purples and my mom made it too, in blues. I think hers may be done...but it looks good in all the colors, in my humble opinion, so have at it!

MissPat said...

Merry, Merry Snowmen will look cool in blues. I think I would prefer blue to the red. And if you can't sew, shopping is the natural substitute. You need to remember that the older we get, the longer it takes to heal. You're making progress and that's what counts. And your doing it at home not rehab (although I'm sure some physical
therapy is on your horizon). We lucked our with only about 3" of snow while only 3 hours away they had 40". But it's only 15 degrees right now at 9PM. Brrr.
Pat

Dorothy said...

Glad to hear putting earrings on using both hands. Lovely both hand stitching too. So glad there is improvement, but probably a long haul

Christine said...

Sending the purrsonnel some hugs and scratches for a great job done.
That quilt is amazing! Looks night impossible to do.... you're so clever....even with a thick thumb!
The patch looks as if it came with the coat, some good glowing there.
Xx

Christine said...

Predictive text makes interesting reading....mine changes it even AFTER I have corrected it!!! Enjoy!

piecefulwendy said...

That snowman quilt is so fun; I'm glad you picked it up. Good that you got out and got wine too (win, win). You look great in your jacket and those fun earrings! Sorry the pain isn't abating more in your shoulder, but yay for improved mobility in the thumb!

Sue said...

Looking good, lady!

Tammy Hutchinson said...

That patch is purrfect! Glad you are looking ahead to more stitching. I saw a hoop embroidery pattern yesterday called The Night Before Christmas, in Today's Quilter and thought of you. A wine shipment sounds timely!

Susan said...

The patch is bigger than I had it pictured. It looks great on your coat, like it always part of the coat. That's a great picture of you. For some reason in that picture you look so much like my sister.

Any improvement is good and testing your range of motion occasionally is good so you have physical evidence that you are improving and it will make it easier when/if you need physical therapy. Whine and wine is a good combination --like wine and dine. There is only one letter difference:-)

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You have the bestest nursemaids (kitty-maids?)and a personal chef - not a bad gig but you don't want the owies that go along with it. As for the being absolutely FORCED to do some retail therapy -good for you! You will have such fun making that quilt...it will be your reward at the end of all this. And yes, blue....my fave!!

Quilter said...


Yes that snowman quilt is quite tempting - glad you jumped on
the fun wagon and got it and think in blue's would be very
pretty...
Your coat looks great and love the cat for covering the whoops
from falling..
Wonderful that you doing well with healing but from my tiny
knowledge those kind of injuries take awhile to heal so be
patient (if U can) and enjoy the little improvements along
the way... Wonderful you have such good helpers in four
legged kids and a wonderful two legged one to do things..
Its gonna bet better n better...
Wishing you a wonderful Holiday and plenty of healing time...
MaryLou

Darlene S said...

Oh that Bunny Hill Snowman quilt just looks like fun and looks like you too! I wish I had some magic pixie dust I could sprinkle over you to make all your pain go away. Not fun, especially this time of year. Good to see your kitties are doing a purrfect job helping to ensure you rest your shoulder, to allow it to heal. They are wonderful caregivers!

CA Bobbie said...

I'm so sorry for your injuries, I missed many days of posts due to my ongoing Covid induced "funk". I have now mostly caught up. Loving your continued healing but also going backwards- all your finishes & sending out of quilts. YOUR NEW HAIRDO IS FABULOUS!!
I wish you quick recovery, Mike to enjoy his new duties & your kitties to stay attentive (which I'm sure they will). Lucky you for the refunds many places only issuing credit or won't even answer the inquiries.

Kate said...

That cat patch is a very spiffy addition to your coat. Glad you got out and about a bit, it does get old not being able to do what you usually do when you are at home. Glad you are gradually improving.

Frog Quilter said...

You are looking very good in your pictures. Keep taking care of yourself. I know the kitties will enforce the health care.