12/15/20

Bricks and Bones

Hallelujah! Mike’s procedure-that-shall-not-be-named was a huge success yesterday. I’m trying hard not to use words that can be turned into some kind of wisecrack, but it isn’t easy. Smitty is looking out at our horizon, and things are definitely looking up.


He’s been taking extra shifts on the medicinal cat front. Yesterday, he negotiated with Sadie for her to take the furrst shift. A guy needs some time off, especially in these COVID times. We have to take care of our healthcare workers, don’t you know.


So, yesterday’s slow stitching was me trying to repair the hole in my coat. My friend Debi pointed out I could buy a new one, and yes, yes, I could. Still, I love this coat. I was trying to remember how long I’ve had it...15 years, maybe? It’s an Eddie Bauer coat, and it’s still going way strong. We only need a heavy coat like this occasionally. We’re more rain parka people here in the Pacific Northwest. Our coldest days tend to be sunny days, and this coat has always gotten me through. I hate to abandon it now, when it’s broken and battered. I certainly know the feeling. 

So...anyway...here’s the problem. The coat nearly gave its life saving the camera I had in this pocket when I fell. It should probably get some kind of medal.


I’d pinned the patch to the orientation I wanted the day before, and yesterday, I tried stitching it. I couldn’t go very far, and it looked terrible besides. It was intended to be a temporary fix, just to cover the hole until I could do a better job with it.


Last night, I remembered this “craft glue” I’d used when I glued some buttons to my brother’s quilt. 


As a reminder, I used the glue to attach the Oshkosh B’gosh buttons to the overalls.


After checking the instructions to be sure it was okay to use it on nylon, Mike helped me glue it on this morning. Now we’ll leave it weighted with this brick until tomorrow, and all should be well.


I’m hoping to get in a little slow stitching time today. After typing this post, I have to give my thumb a rest. It feels better every day though, as does the shoulder. Still a long way to go though. Kitties are good medicine while I wait for those bones to knit.

15 comments:

Barbara said...

There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow. ~ Orison Swett Marden

gpc said...

Honestly, I was a little pleased to see those questionable stitches because they look like mine almost always do. I am clearly not a perfectionist. But maybe I could try a little harder. Glad Mike's test ended well (sorry), and glad you are feeling better day by day.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

E6000 is great stuff, but don't try to stitch through it. I'm sure your Dr. Katz crew will be watching you most carefully to be sure you don't try it.

QuiltShopGal said...

Hey I love the purrfect Cat Patch for your jacket. No one but you will know it is patched. And, BTW it is now a badge not a patch. You (and your jacket) made it thru one serious accident, thus you both deserve the badge. I'm glad Mike made it thru too! Onwards, Upwards, Forward - all to purrfect days, good health and happy stitching.

Julierose said...

Neat cat patch--um badge;))). Pleased to hear you are on the mend. (pun intended ).
We are expecting a mammoth snow event here beginning tomorrow noon through Thursday...So happy to have done my grocery shopping this morning...early and dark out, but D O N E. Hoping I won't have to return until after Christmas...
Take care and stay safe...hugs from across the country Julierose

Tilly said...

Like the cat badge. I am happy for you two that all went good with Mike.
Wish you happy x-mas days.

Lyndsey said...

Using glue to stick patches on works well especially on difficult fabric, thick seams or near a zip. The trouble is I never remember the glue until I've struggled and failed with the stitching or injured myself. Good news about Mike's test. Your kitties are doing an excellent job of health care. Does the additional workload require higher pay or increased catnip rations?

Debbie said...

I like the patch or badge idea and I would wear it proudly. There is nothing like a good story on your coat! Glue for now and maybe stiched later when it gets loose. Glad Mike passed and that Smitty is so attentive.

piecefulwendy said...

I'm just happy that you are able to do some of your usual things, even if it's not all of them. Good solution for patching that tear, too. Those older versions of EB clothing are worth keeping, I think. Their latest clothing isn't nearly as nice quality, although their coats aren't bad.

MissPat said...

Good results all the way around. Little by little, bit by bit, you're getting better everyday. Stitch, rest, repeat. That snack cake on IG looked delicious.
Pat

Stitches said...

I laughed to myself when I saw the brick on your coat..the image I had was you trying to wear your coat with the brick still attached!!! E6000 is a strong glue!! Sorry, it's just my weird sense of humor sometimes..I was glad to hear that you are making small steps in your healing, it has slowed you down but that could be a "good" thing..take care and I hope that brick doesn't get too heavy!!

Cathy Smith said...

Ok, I'll take one for ya! I'll go for the wisecrack (Get it? "Wise Crack"! Oh! Wasn't even trying on that one!). I've had several of the not to be named procedures because of a pre-cancerous discovery. I can genuinely commiserate with the Resident Engineer. Gives me license! Hahaha!!! So, in the spirit of the holiday, I'll just leave it with "Up periscope"!!!

Vicki W said...

I totally understand the cost. I bought a Barbour coat when I was working in London so I know it's at least 18 years old and I have an Eddie Bauer coat that's even older. I hope I still have both of them in another 20 years. They are perfect for me and I'll do whatever it takes to lengthen their lives. Now that I think about it I think my raincoat is even older.

QuiltGranma said...

I too was thinking, What if the brick is now permanently stuck there as well?

Kate said...

Good coats are hard to find, so any fixes that prolong it's usefulness are justified. Sounds like you found a great solution to getting it permanently affixed.