11/1/20

The Sea: Gulls Just Want to Have Fun

Well, I'll just bet you've been waiting on tenterhooks for the reveal of my quilt for "The Sea" challenge. In case you've forgotten all about it, I'm participating in the themed challenges for The Endeavourers art quilt group. Today is the day everyone will be posting their quilts for this challenge, and you can see them at that link I've given you. This is only the second quilt I've made for the group, but so far, I'm loving it. We're given plenty of time to complete the challenge, and so it gives me plenty of time to mull things over.

So here's what I showed you that last time I posted anything about it. Do you remember? 

When "The Sea" theme was announced, I had so many ideas it was hard to narrow it down. I knew right away I wanted to try Karen Eckmeier's "Accidental Landscapes" technique. 


Her book has been on my shelf for years, but I'd never tried anything from it. Also, I thought it would give me a chance to use some of my grandmother's handmade doilies and dresser scarves in a quilt. 

So, I first settled on this original photograph, taken in Rodanthe, North Carolina, a small town in North Carolina's Outer Banks.


Using a collage technique, I rendered the seagull into fabric to create this quilt. It ended up at 20 x 24 inches.


The background was created using Karen Eckmeier's technique for layering fabrics and giving depth to a landscape. Also, I created some shimmer on the water using Angelina fibers.


As I worked, I remembered a lighthouse fabric I'd picked up during our travels. 


It included the Ocracoke lighthouse, also located in the Outer Banks. We traveled south to see the actual lighthouse.


And so I fussy cut it from the fabric...

 
and included it in the background of the quilt.


The foamy waves were made from my grandmother's hand-crocheted lace. This is something I've wanted to try for a long time.


Then I remembered visiting a fabric shop in Mantea, North Carolina, located in the northern portion of the Outer Banks. We live near the Pacific Coast of the United States, and most of our beaches are rather barren of seashells. The Atlantic Coast is quite different with lots of seashells for the picking. 


While visiting the antique/fabric shop in Mantea, I purchased a seashell fabric. 


From that, a grouping of shells was fussy cut to add to the lower corner.


Finally, I added in a few friends for the friendly seagull.


There were a few little details to hand-stitch, and my piece was finished.


Digging through my stash for a border and backing fabric, I found this one with waves and fish tails that seemed perfect. 


While I didn't set out for my "sea" themed quilt to represent the Outer Banks of North Carolina, that's where it ended up. It was a very fun project, and hard to walk away from it once I got started. I hope you like my quilt. To see quilts made by other members of our group, click right here.

37 comments:

gpc said...

Oh. My. Gosh. Incredible. I love everything about this quilt, but especially the use of doilies. (And I have collected most of those shells on the gulf coast, including the elusive junonia.)

Debbie said...

Amazing job on this! Those small landscapes are not always easy to do even with her technique. And you did a super job....with great fabrics!

Barbara said...

The Hopi Indians of Arizona believe that our daily rituals and prayers literally keep this world spinning on its axis. For me, feeding the seagulls is one of those everyday prayers. ~ Brenda Peterson

allier4 said...

Wow! This is gorgeous.

Julierose said...

This is a lovely quilt, Barbara. I like that you used the crocheted lace for the seafoam on the waves. Beautiful job on this one Hugs, Julierose

Sher S. said...

I went and looked at the others quilts. Yours is by far the best! Some came close but you nailed it!

Kim said...

Awesome quilt. I saw this quilt and my jaw literally dropped. Just awesome.

Quilting Babcia said...

This is one of those "heart and soul" quilts, so easy to see you put your heart into creating this little masterpiece. Love it!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Like it? What's not to like?!!! It's been worth the wait to see what you created - and fascinating to read the story of its creation too. I love it....congratulations on a great interpretation! (and now I'm in quest of a copy of that book for my own inspiration).

Becky said...

Wow!!!!!! Love it!

Rebecca said...

Love the details you included in this "Project"!
Great use of crochet work!

Tilly said...

Beautiful! Jou are a real artist.

Cathy Smith said...

You nailed it! Your art quilt skills have really blossomed!

Sandra W said...

Your Sea Quilt is beautiful. The use of the crochet for the waves is really good. Subtle and not overdone. Very effective. I went to the website for the group and can say with confidence that you are holding your own with the group. It seems like a good group to try some new things and push your talents.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh - gorgeous! I love the use of the lace for the waves. So much texture and detail. Ya dun good girl!!

MissPat said...

Your attention to detail is incredible. And the fact that you've collected so many useful fabrics from around the country certainly helps create such masterpieces.
Pat

Kathy said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Amazing quilt, Barbara! I love everything about it! North Carolina’s Outer Banks are very dear to us...it has been a while since we have visited Ocracoke but we always enjoy making the trip from our beach house, further north, via ferry, to go there. The first time we went, we were so surprised at how short the lighthouse is, compared to the other ones on the North Carolina coast.
This is such a special quilt, using items that represent memories of your trip, and the pieces of lace, all adding to an amazing interpretation of the challenge theme! Bravo!!
Thanks so much for sharing!

Sandra B
scb304@juno.com

Paula said...

Wow! This is a great quilt! Thank you for sharing the journey with us. Sometimes quilts or other crafty creations take on a life of their own, and this one certainly did.

Chris K. said...

I love this quilt. I remember seeing Karen Eckmeier demonstrate her technique on thequiltshow.com; I'm going to go back and watch it again. But you added so many great ideas of your own.

Kathy said...

That is just breathtaking.

Debbiegsp said...

This little quilt is just beautiful. The seagull is so perfectly done. Good work!

Lynette said...

Barbara, this turned out really neat!! Absolutely love the Angelina and Grandma's lace embellishments.

Beverly said...

The quilt is incredible. I live in North Carolina but not on the coast. The quilt made me want to head to the coast and visit a while. Thanks.

Dorothy said...

You truly are an artist. I love it !!

Cathy said...

A masterpiece, Barbara! I love every single detail. Do you see more od these little accidental landscapes in your future?

Judy1522 said...

I love your quilt! It is so beautiful and I really think it is awesome how you incorporated the pieces from your grandmother's hand crocheted lace into the quilt.

Celtic Thistle said...

Seagulls are not popular in my part of the world but your's would definitely be an exception:) You have included so many great details in your quilt I love it!

djquilting said...

Barbara, what a great interpretation. I love everything about this quilt. Isn't it neat when so many ideas are jumping around in your mind and you are able to corral them all into such a cohesive quilt. Good job!

piecefulwendy said...

It's so neat that you had all those particular fabrics in your stash for this quilt. The detail is amazing; I can see why you were so excited to show it. Well done!

works4me said...

What a great quilt, made even better by how personal the photo and fabrics are.

Shirley said...

Oh wow, that’s the prettiest seaside quilt I’ve ever seen, I just love the use of colors, materials and quiltwork. So lovely to have used a piece of your grandmother’s lace, it’s a great memory quilt.

SJSM said...

Just looking at the number of superlative comments let’s one know you created a masterpiece. I do believe you should enter this in some show or competition as I think you will fare well. This is a keeper or should go only to someone as connected to this experience as you. Your heart and soul is evident in this piece.

Diane said...

Oh I like how it turned out. What a wonderful way to try a new technique and remember your trip. I like the denim strip quilt by one of the other members too.

QuiltGranma said...

Beautiful finish, Barbara!

Vicki W said...

I love everything about it! It's the perfect representation of on of my favorite places. Using the lace for foam was genius. Lots of great details.

Helen said...

This is amazing... beautiful... painting with fabric!