11/23/20

Moving Slow

There was no time for sewing on Saturday since we spent the day unpacking and cleaning up the RV. Since unpacking always has me dragging my feet, not much was accomplished that day. And that left Sunday for a lazy day fest. We got some things done, but mostly, we sat around looking at our iPads, catching up on things we'd missed during our unplugged days. 

Of course, no day is complete without a good slow-stitching session. I'm about one-third of the way across this first section of Calendula Patterdrip's Cottage. 

There was some housework to do, and I got started on the laundry. It was nearly 2:00 p.m. when I made my way into the sewing room. It seems like it's been a long time since I spent any time there. I had this "Burt Reynolds among cats" with me to help out with the heavy lifting.

Purrt Reynolds among cats...that's absolutely purrposterous. Smitty don't let that kind of talk go to your head or you won't be able to fit through the catio door.

I'm back to working on my WIPs list for the remainder of November. Next up is to make another row of blocks for Jenny's Flower Garden. Here's where I left it last time I worked on it.

The next row has three "flower" blocks and four "blanks." It requires 156 scrappy 2 x 2-inch squares. Sadie helped me keep count, making hash marks on that scrap of an envelope as we went.

When I was finished, I had a little box full of them. I really need to dump them into a zip-lock bag so I can draw them out more or less randomly. 

That effort took us to nearly dinner time, and so I quit for the day. Besides, Sadie was 'zhausted. She was ready for a nap next to the fireplace by then.

Today is one of those days dreadful to contemplate. We need to run some errands: mail packages at the post office, replenish our supply of bird seed, drop off some donation items at Goodwill, and then...horror of horrors...grocery shopping. We're going to go a little later in the day to give the store time to restock their shelves after the weekend-before-Thanksgiving shopping. Yikes. Our scaled down Thanksgiving feast this year will include Cornish game hens, but I also have a frozen turkey breast for the slow cooker on Friday. Even though our meal will be small, we want some turkey leftovers. The rest of it will be fairly traditional. I have the hens and the turkey breast, but I still need to purchase most everything for the side dishes. I'm hopeful the store won't be too much of a madhouse, but not really counting on it.

So, with all of that going on, I doubt I'll feel much like sewing today. We'll see. I'd like to at least get a start on the blocks. There are just two rows of blocks to finish before it's ready to be sewn together. 

How is your Thanksgiving planning going this year? Whatever your plans, please stay safe and healthy. We want you along when we start getting ready for the Christmas season.

 

10 comments:

Barbara said...

My get-up-and-go often leaves without me. ~ Nanette Mathews

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Purrt Reynolds looks pretty spiffy if you ask me! Tomorrow I'm facing the dreaded grocery shop and then, to add insult to injury (read that, added stress) the next day it's the visit to the eye surgeon's office. From what I understand I won't see the man himself until the following week - this will be a 'consult' with his staff. Drops are anticipated. It's all going to be a moot point I expect because additional closures are coming here again and elective surgeries such as cataracts will be on the back burner.
As for the family celebrations this year, Resident Chef and I have decided that rather than the traditional Christmas dinner for just the two of us we're going to have cheese & crackers, appetizers (from a box), chicken wings (also from a box) and coffee cheesecake bites (from a box). Something different for these different times and hopefully will be okay.

Katie said...

The kitties sure do look helpful, but all that helping is tiring. Good thing for a warm spot by the fireplace! I went for groceries at 7am today and found the store miraculously well stocked. I had gone last week on Sunday evening, an hour after our state governor announced some businesses were being shut back down, fearing the worst for panic buying again. The store that evening (7pm) was quite bleak, but that may also have been due to weekend-before-Thanksgiving shopping in general. Today I was able to find all the things I needed and the shelves that were empty just over a week ago, were stocked nicely, even toilet paper and white bread! My family has postponed Thanksgiving together (I was the first to question the choice, but I'm a science geek and listen to virologists talk about virology for fun), but the hubby's family is full steam ahead. I am wary. They feel having it in a pole barn garage where half the family will smoke a pack of cigarettes every 10 minutes is safe enough. And science Katie is wrong. Maybe because I'm sober? Anyways, I'm a little hopeful something will cancel those plans, and purchased accordingly to be able to have our own Thanksgiving at home. I know my hubby misses his family, but there are too many high-risk members for me to feel comfortable. (His brother was in the hospital recovering from it just a few weeks ago, but apparently that didn't scare the bejeezus out of them enough?) Your holiday with the cats sounds wonderful, but I find the longer this pandemic lasts, the happier I am to just stay home with my cats and my fabric!

Julierose said...

The two of us are having a nice chicken roast dinner--no family will be gathering...we are way too leery to chance that. To make us feel merrier, Tom bought us a nice bottle of champers...always welcome;)) hugs from afar julierose

Lyndsey said...

You have a pair of really helpful kitties. I love those scrappy blocks. The quilt will be amazing when finished. I hope the trip to the grocery store went well. Lucy and Richard are now doing our shopping. They think the store has far too many virus denyers to be safe. I'm not complaining. Take care.

Christine said...

Just another week for us here in the UK but I am grateful that we will be able to go out. I still have no death certificate for my husband but they have sent through a couple of copies..... work that out if you can!!! I am hoping the bank will accept the copy and release some funds....if so then it will be a great Thanksgiving for me. Have a warm and full stomached Thanksgiving celebration with lots of kitty love.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I found a small turkey for us, it is just us two as well. We've been just two for Thanksgiving for many years, and we like it. But we will miss the fun on the weekend as that gathering is canceled. I have much the same planned for today, totally agree, getting out of the house is a horror these days! I also have to hit the PO, and drop off a donation at Goodwill, take some library books back, and make a mad dash inside the grocery store for a couple of last minute items. Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

piecefulwendy said...

Hope you survived all those errands. I ordered groceries online, which I think is a real PITA, but maybe that's just me. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Barbara!

MissPat said...

I did the major grocery shop last week as I had oral surgery on Monday. I've survived and it actually wasn't as bad as I expected and the pain isn't bad either, but eating is a challenge at the moment. I have all the fixin's for a traditional Thanksgiving meal complete with a $6.00 13 lb whole turkey. It's always just to two of us. We may postpone the turkey roasting until the weekend, depending on how my tongue responds the next few days. I'm hoping that now hat the pre-op dread has passed, I'll feel more like sewing again.
Pat

Kate said...

We had to make a run to the grocery store Wednesday morning to get a few things that didn't make it home during the main grocery run and it was a bit of a zoo. Jenny's Flower Garden is coming along beautifully.