9/28/20

Sew Fourth and Sew On

Yesterday's sewing was finishing up the fourth block on two different projects. (And you thought I'd misspelled "fourth," didn't you?) So first...or fourth...was the fourth plate for Pieces of the Past. 


Here are all the blocks I have so far for this quilt.


Next up on my embroidery dance card is this project, "In the Good Old Summertime," which will occupy the "short" slot. Short projects are intended to be projects that can be finished in a single go-round. But you can see this is a fairly large piece...table runner size...and so I'm not sure I can finish it in just one turn before getting tired of it.


So, I'll give it a go, but it might take two go-rounds to complete the embroidery. After that, it will have some piecing work. Here's how the picture on the pattern has it:


I might decide to do something different with it. Either way, I'll just start on the left and work my way to the right. It's hooped up and ready to go and awaiting my return downstairs.


There was a lot going on yesterday. I did some housekeeping, and I did the laundry, and in between all that I was finishing up the next block (the fourth) for New Mexico Kitchen. I needed to finish the machine top-stitching, and then I had some hand embroidery to do. I really dislike doing hand embroidery on applique, but there are times when it is the only way. This one required embroidering the measuring cup on the left, the words on the blue corn meal bag, and some corn kernels in the batter and the bread. 


When that was finished, I added the two borders. I love the bright colors in this project.


Here are the four blocks I have for this quilt so far.


Okay, so I mentioned we were heading over to the Oregon coast this week. We'll be going to the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area to ride ATV's. Mike has been working on the ATV's for the past couple of weeks. They both needed some maintenance and then he washed and polished them. (They still had Moab red dirt on them.) After all that work, I can hardly blame him for wanting to get out and ride. Since our September trip was nearly a complete bust, it seemed like a good idea to me too. We're expecting nice weather, which is always a gift in Oregon at this time of year. It should be a good time. We'll only be gone a few days, and so it's pretty easy to pack up and take off. Catching Sadie and getting her into the RV is another matter.

Yeah...good luck with that.


She's so strong and squirmy-wormy. It's important to get a good grip on the nape of her neck...like her mama carried her...and then support her back legs with the other hand. When we tried catching her for our last trip, I caught her with my non-dominant hand and didn't have a good grip on her. She managed to kick me with her back legs, drawing blood, and leaving a paw-sized bruise on my arm. She might be little, but she packs a literal punch. So...always a good time getting Sadie into the RV...or her kennel...or trying to get her to do anything when she has other goals for her life.

So all of that to say that I'm signing off for a few days. There is no internet access where we're going, and so I know right now that I won't be able to blog. Of course, I'll be taking lots of pictures while we're there and I'll have lots to tell you when we get back. And when we get back, it will be October! Holy-moley. For a year that seems as if it's lasting for 20 years, it's also going very fast. 

The sewing I did yesterday will be the last sewing I'll do for September. When we get back at the beginning of October, I'll be quilting the Snow Globes quilt. It's chilling (can you say that where snow is involved?) on my sewing chair, awaiting its turn under my needle.

Already I know how I'm going to quilt it, and that is always half the battle. This will be my goal for October's OMG, and so I'll link up there when the party starts.


Okay, my friends. There is much to do today and some errands to run. Carry on. I'll be back in a few.

16 comments:

Cathy Smith said...

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Have a great time.... looking forward to hearing all about it (with scenic pictures, of course) when you get back....
Safe travels!!
Sandra B
scb304@juno.com

Quilting Babcia said...

Love the vintage plates, so delicate. Enjoy your trip, you two deserve some R&R after last month.

Julierose said...

I hope you have a wonderful and refreshing get away--you deserve one after the last aborted trip...;000
I love your Mexicali blocks--the Guac is my favorite--maybe just because I love avocados in any form..
Take care and stay safe...looking forward to your pictures--always a treat for we stay-at-homers..
Hugs, julierose.

Lyndsey said...

Have a great trip you definitely deserve it. Good luck capturing Sadie. She sound like Picasso, he may be old but he still packs a punch. He's due his annual vet trip in October and the family are already asking me which day so they can book to be somewhere else! Love the stitcheries and that latest block.

Dorothy said...

I some times have to scoop kitty and quilt in one swoop to get the kitty where I want her to be----as in the "kennel" to go to the vet. They are always surprised as to what comes along with her in her kennel. Have a fabulous trip

Kate said...

Your cornbread block looks great. The snowglobe quilt is one of my favorites, so it will be fun to see how you quilt it. Enjoy your riding and communing with nature.

SJSM said...

Enjoy your days away. A change of scenery and different activity is good for the soul. I haven’t figured out what we can do to be Covid safe. You having a traveling home is an ideal solution. No place for one in our life so we wait for this to subside. A vicarious outing will have to do.

gpc said...

Gotta admit, I admire that trait in Sadie, although I regret the blood letting. Still, I can't help but wonder what my life would have looked like if I had been willing to kick and scream to get the things that I thought would be best for me. Or perhaps just to hold my ground. But you get my point. Good girl, Sadie, but simmer down when it comes to your mom.

MissPat said...

Have a fun and safe trip. See you in October.
Pat

Pam said...

Do you plan on doing the crazy quilting on Pieces of the Past? I have some crazy quilting to do on a current project and having never done this technique, I am a bit terrified of it.

QuiltGranma said...

May The Fourth Go With You!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I must say I love those colorful blocks!! I've always liked intense color so these are right in my wheelhouse. There's so many amazing little details on each block too, so lots to look at. Having said that, I like the plates too, mainly because they remind me of my grandmother's dishes.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Enjoy that trip and your projects are so pretty!

piecefulwendy said...

We were definitely in ATV territory on a few of our drives during our break. I thought about all my ATVing friends and how much they'd enjoy the views. That Sadie, she's an independent one. Love the look on her face. Wilbs is a bit put out that we left, but he's slowly warming up to having us back home.

Patty said...

Thanks for thinking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.