9/11/20

Settling In

All is well here this morning, my friends. We learned just about an hour ago that our home is now at a Level 2 evacuation. That means we should be ready to go at a moment's notice, but it is safe to return to our home for now. Our power is still off, and so we'll probably just stay put at an RV park near our home. We were happy to find vacancies at this place since many of our neighbors have had the same idea.

First, let me give a global thank you to all of you who have written such kind and supportive comments. I'm working my way through the list and responding to all that I can. Some of you are no-reply, and so if you don't get a personal message from me, just know that your message was received and I am grateful to have so many friends in Blogland. Also, I'll be catching you up on the more scenic portions of the past few days. For now, I need some time to collect myself. Expect to see some pretty images very soon...just not right here and right now.

Backing up to the day we left home, we drove under eerily orange skies. If I didn't know better, I might think we were living on Mars. This next image was taken around 11:00 a.m. about an hour south of our home.


We had hoped to take a scenic byway to our destination, but the skies looked like this. We were heading parallel to the edge of the clouds, but our turn would have taken us directly into the smoke. As it turns out, the road was closed, and so it was just good decision-making that we changed our route.


Finally, we arrived at our campground, Rogue Elk County Park, in Trail, Oregon. It was a very nice campground with water and electric, and we were directly across from the Rogue River. We sat and enjoyed the view, and rafters floated by occasionally. 


Turning directly around from the river's edge, our site was just over there.


Ash fell on us as we sat. You can see the dark specks below the buttons on my shirt.


Of course, I wasted no time baking up something for dessert. This is the Original Plum Torte. If you click on that link, you'll find the recipe, but it also has an interesting story behind it. This is one of my annual recipes...every year when the plums ripen, I make it. Yum.


Interestingly, we left the campground a day early. It was empty, though a sign noted they were full for the weekend. The camp host was there, but we did not notify him of our decision. Then, we received a day's refund via email because the campground had been evacuated. I don't know any more than that, but it doesn't surprise me one bit. 

While we were sweating out news about our property, I found this image on Facebook. This was taken by our farmers from their farm just a little west of our property. The flames you see there are just one gully over, and less than a mile from our home. Yikes.

(Image credit: Working Hands Farm)

As you already know, we headed for home yesterday. It was a long day of driving through smoky conditions. When we arrived home, we were still at Level 3 evacuation. Everything at our place looked fine, although there were lots of downed limbs and leaves from the big winds. Our power had been out for around 20 hours at that point. Mike set up a generator to run our chest freezer and one of our refrigerators. Power won't be restored until the fire is out and it is safe for crews to enter. (As I'm writing this, we've been listening to radio dispatch. It seems they are intentionally leaving power off until the fire danger has passed.) 

We spent our time there taking pictures of our belongings (a weirdly grim task), and switching things from the truck camper to the fifth wheel. As we worked, at least 8 water tankers flew overhead dropping water on the fire. We couldn't see the fire, or any evidence of it, but the sky was glowing strangely yellow. We've been looking through a smoky filter for days, everywhere we've been.


We worried about finding any space at any RV parks nearby, but we found a place in McMinnville, which is only about half an hour away. The kitties have been troopers through all of this. They don't like being put in the RV at the beginning of a trip, but when we open the door and serve up their treats upon arrival, they settle into camping like old hands. Here, they are enjoying their dinner and their treats. I thought to pick up some wheat grass for them, and they really like that.


So, even though we are able to return home now, there is no power there. We'll stick where we are until power is restored, but we'll travel up to the house each day to refill our gasoline-powered generator with fuel. It will only run for about 8 hours. Surprisingly, even though the power had been off 20 hours, everything in the freezer was still frozen, and so we haven't lost anything there.

I'll keep you posted on any changes in our situation, and I'll be back later to tell you about our trip to Crater Lake. We're going to start calling this the "Vacation That Wasn't." It's all fine though. We have everything we need and our family is fine. And, honestly, what else matters?

43 comments:

Debby McRae said...

Grateful to hear that you are OK but still worried for all of you. Grateful too for the 2 1/2 inches of rain that we got 2 weeks ago. Dampish here mid Vancouver Island but there are fires South of us. Hard to imagine evacuating on an Island! Keeping you all in our prayers - we West Coasters need to stick together!

Lee Young said...

Oh Barbara, praying the best for you. We have friends who live in Mac so have been keeping up with their posts and in touch with my aunt who lives 'not so far from there'. My heart is breaking for all the things I've seen lost so far in my home state, places I've been too, or through that are no longer standing. Hopefully rains will arrive sooner than expected to help the fire fighters; I certainly don't envy them their jobs whether there or here in SoCal. Do not feel you have to reply; I understand the circumstances and do not expect a reply! Stay safe.

Nancy said...

That is all good news! I am so glad all is well on the home front. Wonderful that you are able to camp close to home.
The smoke is worse here today. They even canceled my garbage pickup because of the hazardous air quality. We are staying in and trying to keep the smoke outside. Strange when your house smells like campfires.
Now I think I will go pray for rain.....Who would think I would need to do that in the PNW?

Cathy Smith said...

Hang in there kid! Keeping you and Mike and the kittehs in my heart.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You, Mike, and the furkids are in heavy prayers deep in my heart.

Edith said...

Glad to hear things are ok so far, hopefully it will stay that way. Take care of yourself and your family. Hopefully you will get some rain soon.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I really have been very worried about you and your home--am glad to hear about all your very smart decisions and that you are safe right now and staying on top of things!!
I am just soooo sad about all the lost for everyone --
stay safe--and know that I am and have been praying for you--
love, di

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

The image the farmer took brings back our experience not so long ago as one of the first fires this season was just over the next mountain. We watched the planes and helicopters pass overhead to drop there load. That fire was 20 miles from us, but honestly I was not sure if that was road miles around the mountain or 20 miles as the crow flies. Our realtor's home was the first to burn in that fire. It's all so scary. Hope you will remain safe and able to return home soon.
xx, Carol

barbara woods said...

praying for you'll my friend

Pamela said...

So glad you are ok, the kitties are ok, and your home is ok! Not the best way to have a vacation, but I am glad you were able to return to your home and get things taken care of. We've got smoke and ash here in Coos Bay as well, but aren't in any danger, thank goodness! Take care!

Janarama said...

My heart breaks for all of the people involved with the fires. I can't even imagine the amount of stress you and Mike must be under at this time. I am praying that your entire family stay safe and out of harms way. Also praying for all of the firefighters who are out there trying to extinguish these horrendous fires. No need to reply to my comments. Spend your time with your loved ones and do what you have to do to stay safe.

Cathy said...

Whew! It was so good to hear from you that all is well so far! We’ve been worried, and even Alfalfa has been biting his nails. Stay safe. xo

Shari said...

So glad to hear you and your home are safe. Prayers will continue for you all.

Teresa aka MarieSews said...

So glad you are okay and have an evacuation plan/option that works! Thank you for continuing to blog! I always enjoy reading about what you are up to.

I'm in the south San Francisco Bay Area, thankfully in the valley away from the fires. The air quality is crap but we are safe from fire so I have nothing to complain about. The orange skies over the last few days have been eerie. I keep waiting for zombies to round the corner :).

Take care, stay safe, and keep stitching!!

Julierose said...

So relieved to hear that you guys are fine--and able to stay in your 5th wheeler. No power is no fun at all...Talk about being on edge--it must be really scarey to see all that fire and smoke --and know you are in the evacuation area!! I am thinking about you a lot out there and sending prayers for your safety...hugs julierose

Shirley said...

That is such a sad and devastating situation. So glad that you all are safe as well as your property. Praying for continued safety for all and the fire to be extinguished completely.

murphysranch said...

Trail?? That and Shady Cove were supposed to be TOAST but the Obenchain fire turned yesterday. I'm glad you didn't stay there long. That fire is 2.5 miles from me. Medford and surrounding towns hit hard. Air is "hazardous". I wish I had a generator - that was a smart move by you all.

allier4 said...

Sending up many prayers for you all and your family as well as all of those being affected by these fires. Stay safe...

"Bee" said...

Barbara,
So happy you are close to your home now and safe.
This is so sad....all the loss and pain individuals are enduring.
I'm happy the "kitties" are doing well. I love it when you have pictures of them on your blog!!
I will continue with my prayers for you and your family, including the "kitties"

Blessings my dear!
Carolyn

Rhonda Casey said...

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. I'm praying for you and everyone going this on the West Coast.

Stay safe.

Christine said...

So pleased you decided to turn back. At least you have time to sort things out. Praying for rain for you all over there.
Xxx

Carroll said...

We too here in Montana are praying for you, your darling cats and your neighbors. On a lighter note, my husband who is a Corvette owner like your husband wants to know if you've moved yours to a more secure location. First things first! Just joking. Nothing is more important than people. Stay safe.

crazy quilter said...

I am horrified at all these fires. I know you will remain safe and I pray your home is spared. I saw in the news tonight firefighters from Texas and 49 other places are heading your way to help get this fire out. I pray for everyone’s safety and the fires are out very soon.

kauanoeanuhea said...


so relieved to hear you are back home. Pray that you and all your family will be safe.

sirsumcorda said...

so glad you made it home safely. You are absolutely correct, when you say you what else matters, you and your loved ones are safe. Good positive thoughts are what keeps me coming back to your blog again and again. Stay safe, my thoughts and well wishes are with you.

Dorothy said...

"We have every thing we need and the family is fine. What else do we need?"
You need many prayers and much love coming to you. Be safe

Lee said...

Praying for you and glad you can be near home and safe. Take care!

MissPat said...

So happy to hear you and your home are safe for the moment. Praying that continues and that the fires are extinguished soon. No need to respond, your blanket thank you is enough.
Pat

Quilter said...


Wow! What a heart stopping ordeal to have to go through.
Please just know will be praying for the fires to be
quenched and no harm anyone's property - happy you were
able to find a place to stay pretty close so you can keep
the generator going to hopefully save your freezer goods..
We all need to pray for rain to possible knock out all the
fires ... Will be thinking of your all please stay safe
and keep those Kitties close...

MaryLou

Margaret said...

This is a year, isn’t it? I was relieved to hear that your home was safe and I hope that it stays safe. This situation boggles the mind. Your pictures convey the dystopian-ness of the fires so well, and I thank you for sharing them. I’m so glad you have a place you can stay, which keeps you away from the fires and the coronavirus. Stay well and stay strong!

Susan said...

Glad to hear you made it home so you could switch out the campers, take the pictures, and also find a close, but safer campsite. Continuing to pray you all that your homes are spared and everyone stays safe.

Nancy said...

Thanks for updating on your status. It's so disturbing and disheartening to see the devastation. I admire your preparations for keeping yourselves and the cats safe and ready. Prayers for safety and better times ahead!

piecefulwendy said...

Boy, who knew your little camping trip was going to take such a strange turn. I'm so glad that all is well so far, and I'm hoping that you will be back home safely soon. Thanks for keeping us up to date!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Praying for rain to help the firefighters deal with an impossible situation. So terrifying for everyone. Relieved to hear that your area is now in a stage 2 warning and that you were able to go home and do what you needed to get done. Be safe!

Debbie said...

Every mention on the news/radio of the fires, reminds me to pray for friends out there. So glad you are safe. Bet the kitties are happy with the grass, too! Smitty appears to be eyeing it :)
thanks for keeping us updated. This is going to be a long vacation that wasn't.

Charlotte M. said...

Thanks for the update. Glad your property is okay and let's pray it stays that way. I spoke to my daughter who lives in Portland yesterday. She is in town enough that she is not under evacuation orders, but many she knows are. Stay safe...all of you. Hoping for some rain relief for you. Smoky down here in San Diego too with fires near by.

Doreen said...

My heart breaks for all who are enduring this horrendous ordeal. Many prayers being lifted up on your behalf. Your "Mars" description is very apt! Definitely surreal. Blessings and hugs..........

kc said...

May the Good Lord be with you and keep you in safety. Words just aren't enough, but be assured you are definitely in our hearts. Please be careful out there.

Lyndsey said...

Thank you for posting at a time when you have so many other things on your mind. Great to know you and all the family are safe. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by the fires. Take care and stay safe xx

Natureluvr57 said...

No need to reply-save your resources. So glad you made it home and back to a campground safely. I prayed the areas on fire would receive rain. We've had rain almost daily including today in the Midwest. I own a 1948 Singer Featherweight and belong to several FW groups. One site said if you live in a danger zone that you can wrap your machine twice and bury it. They didn't say how deep to bury it but I would think you would have to bury it pretty deep. I really don't know how hot the ground gets when it's on fire. I feel bad for the people and wildlife in these areas and hope there's relief soon. Take care

Pinkflorentina said...

Dear Barbara and family. What a dreadful shadow of fear you’ve had to deal with. I only saw this today (in the UK) and was aghast at the flames in the photos, Your absolutely right, what matters are family and that you are safe together. Everything crossed that you can get back home soon

Stitches said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours!! The news on these fires is just devastating, something I can't even imagine..Stay safe and I hope your home stays safe also!!

Joni said...

So glad that your mobile "Cat Ranch" is safe in Mac. Our air quality is pretty scary (right now 394) a nice melon shade. Can this year get anymore surreal? I refuse to pick tomatoes until the air is safe, so that means getting the sewing station organized and ready for my quilting season. So happy that you are all safe. Thank you for keeping us posted.