9/26/20

Bag Ladies are In the Bag

The bag ladies are not intoxicated...just to be clear. But they are finished. I had the most faithful assistants working with me to bring this to a close.

Sadie...I need you! I've been working on this quilt binding for hours, and I need some relief.


Okay, Smitty. Just let me know when you want me to take over. I'll be right here.


We're almost finished, Sadie. I'll just rest my nose right here. Pawssibly, I can hold on to the end.


When I'd turned the last corner and finished it off, I laid it down for it's "four corners" picture...um...excuse me...would you mine just...


Okay, there we go. Did I mention Smitty helped finish this off?


And there we go. A happy and colorful quilt.


As mentioned previously, I've been rehoming some of my quilts and lightening my load. While I was stitching around the binding, I was considering what to do with this one. It's going to go to a friend who was diagnosed with a rather aggressive cancer earlier this year. (Yeah...2020 has been a major bummer of a year.) She's been undergoing treatment, and it looks like she's going to be okay. Nevertheless, she's had trouble regulating her body temperature, and so I decided to pass along this quilt to her. It'll be a great snuggle quilt for someone trying to keep warm.

Moving on, I was in a mood to switch out my fall runners, toppers, and wall-hanging for the more Octobery stuff. This little table topper is called Pumpkin Patch. The pattern was from the September, 2016, issue of Quilter's World.


This next little wall-hanging was the result of an all-day class I took with Meg Hawkey of Crabapple Hill Studios when she visited a local quilt shop. The embroidered pumpkin pie design was hers, and then I borrowed two more pumpkins from the table topper above to make this little quilt. I really like this little space on the wall between my kitchen and dining room. Originally, I didn't set out to have it be a quilt-swapping area, but it has worked out that way.


And, check out those bullion stitches. Those were my first successful ones. Meg sat by my side and taught me how to make them. The trick is not wrapping the floss around the needle too tightly.


And, finally, this little runner on our breakfast bar. This little quilt is called "Cornflowers," and the pattern was one I picked up from a "clearance" box at a San Diego quilt shop. It was from Sticks and Broomstraws. The flowers and the prairie point borders are made to look like candy corn. Rarely do I make the same quilt twice, but I think this would be cute done in spring colors with flowers made in different colors. Maybe some day I'll do it, but it was a pain top-stitching around all those petals and leaves, so maybe not. 


Okay, so then I went back to my slow-stitching. I filled in as much as I could on the latest plate for Pieces of the Past.


Today I'll start on this next section. I couldn't quite fit the whole thing in the hoop, which activates my OCD something awful.


While I was working on that, Mike brought in the mail. Lo and behold, there was a mug rug from my "ghost" partner in the Teal Mini Swap. Sheesh. Now who woulda' thought? So, thank you, partner. I take back all the bad thoughts I had about you. Why didn't you respond to my many messages??? Whatever. I love all the colors in this.


When describing my likes and dislikes for the swap, I always just say I'm a born cat lover. She included a fat quarter of this cute fabric. Are these cats wearing pajamas, or are they children wearing cat pajamas? I'm kind of going with the cats wearing pajamas because of the whiskers. Very cute.


Also in the mail was a bag of 50 tongue depressors I ordered. I saw this on Pinterest...or somewhere...I can't remember. It's ribbon wrapped around tongue depressors. I thought this would be a good idea for left over quilt binding.


So, I had quite a bit of leftover quilt binding, and I spent some time wrapping all of it around the tongue depressors. I used bent pins and old sewing machine needles from my "sharps" container to fasten the ends. I had in mind to use a large jar like the one above, but I had so many they were packed in too tightly, and I couldn't really see them. Instead, I used one of those plastic bags I save from sheet sets. And there they are...all tidy now.


I spent so much time on that, I barely had any time left to work on the New Mexico Kitchen block. I only had time to add the bowl of batter there on the right.

I'll have more time to work on it today, and I really do expect to get all of the fusing finished. If I'm really speedy, I should be able to get a start on the top-stitching.

So that was kind of a full day. I even squeezed in some housekeeping. Today there's nothing on the calendar. It's going to be an NBS day (Nothing But Sewing). I love Saturday, don't you?

13 comments:

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Oh what lovely Bag Ladies and they are so proud of you for finishing them off so nicely and now going to 'comfort' someone--they will love that job--but I bet Smitty and Sadie will miss this one!!!
take care--luv, di

Julierose said...

What a lovely finish on Bag Ladies--great that your friend will have it for comfort...
Nice Fall toppers on display too.
hugs, Julierose

Frog Quilter said...

Lovely bag ladies and even better is that it will comfort a sick person. Making and donating quilts for cancer patients is near and dear to my heart. My hubby passed two years ago in October from lung cancer. I miss him dearly.

Denise :) said...

Your Bag Ladies is just precious! Great finish, Barbara! Love how you keep your extra/leftover binding! Your pumpkin pieces are both such fun! Right up my alley! :)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

The bag ladies will be the perfect comfort quilt for your friends. Oh, I remember the COrn Flower runner - candy corn! Pretty decor for the season. I had the delightful Saturday with my daughter and grands - apple picking. Then we went thru the estate stash that has arrived here - OMG!!

Quilting Babcia said...

The Bag Ladies are well suited for their future bringing warmth and entertainment during your friend's treatments! So colorful and cheerful and so much going on in each block, it's a great finish as always.

Lyndsey said...

The bag ladies quilt is fabulous and perfect for your friend as she goes through treatment. Temperature regulation is a major problem which can continue even after treatment is complete. Great work Smitty for helping get that quilt finished.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I love your stitchery projects! The pumpkins are so festive for fall. Your bullion stitches are perfect! I have been trying to re-home a few quilts too, sending one to the Oregon fire victims quilt drive.

bcarlf said...

The bag ladies quilt is stupendous. I can't even imagine doing all that fabulous embroidery. I do want to learn. What fun it would be to have an expert sit with you while you learn! It will be so nice that quilt is going off to comfort someone. Imagine all the time spent joyfully inspecting the details of those ladies! And I think it is lovely that your mate has finally sent you your mug rug, which is quite bright, and I would love to find some of the cat pajama material. I have quite a collection of cats, but I have not seen that one before. I myself am quite relieved that she was eventually able to respond to you, because I was worried that she was somehow unable to respond. Sometimes we do not know what has happened to people. They could be in a bad place for a while. Any way, you are so lucky to have such warm, cuddly help for all aspects of quilting!

MissPat said...

Must be said to see the Bag Ladies go, but they will be put to good use by your friend. Since it's almost October, I guess I should pull out my fall wall hangings and table toppers. And a pumpkin or two. It's going to be an unseasonable 85 degrees today, so maybe Tuesday when the much needed rains arrive. Today I'm cutting more 2.5" batik squares for Wanda's Colorwash 360 class.
Pat

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Bless you for wrapping your friend in warmth and your love with this quilt. She will love it I'm sure. Your pumpkin project collection is great fun to see. I don't 'decorate' for the seasons although I do have a crazy quilt pillow that I change out. Must remember to put a photo on my blog! So glad that your swap showed up - and that cat fabric is fabulous!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great place for your Bag Ladies quilt to go.

Kate said...

Congrats on a fun and colorful finish. Sounds like you have the perfect forever home for that project. I'm going to follow your lead and move out some of my quilts to one of the groups collecting quilts for those in Oregon that lost everything in the recent fires. I've probably got 3 or 4 quilts that I can send that direction. It will help reduce the piles in my closet.