7/20/20

Canning Season 2020 Begins


It was a busy day yesterday. Surprisingly, there was still time for sewing. Taking first position on the to-do list for the day was to start working with the cherries. Yesterday's goal was to can some cherries in syrup. I used most of the cherries we'd picked the day before to process eight pints. These are good over ice cream, or else in my recently-rediscovered recipe for skillet cherry cobbler.


It was late in the day by the time I made my way into the sewing room. My current mission is to sew "And On that Farm" into a finished flimsy. I started on this quilt in September of 2016, and so it's high time, don't you think? This is a McKenna Ryan pattern. I swore I'd never do another one, and I'm taking the same oath as I'm finishing this one. And that will hold me until the next one comes along. But no. (Smacks hands with a ruler.) No more McKenna Ryan patterns. Here's just one reason.

The first section I made, way back when, was this largest of the panels. The background was cut to pattern specifications, and then the applique covered nearly the entire background. And the problem with that was that with infinitesimally small placement errors and shrinkage from the applique itself, my panel ended up just slightly too small to fit within the rest of the pattern measurements. The borders and sashings need to be certain sizes in order to fit with the rest of the sections.


I spent some time squaring it up on Saturday. The applique goes clear to the seam-line on three sides, and so any background fabric peeking out at the edges had to be cut off and the piece squared up. It was supposed to be 30-1/2 x 30-1/2 inches. Mine ended up at 29-1/2 inches in width...


and 29-1/4 inches in height.


As I pondered how to make up for this, my furry furriend showed up.

What purroject are we working on today?


Oh this is just purrfect! I always wanted to be a barn cat!


Okay, so each section is sashed, and I calculated and calculated and calculated (using my calculator, of course) to figure out how much adjustment to make with the sashings. I ended up cutting a half inch in width from the sashings for the sections below...the chickens. And then I sewed them together.


And if you remember what the whole quilt looks like,

then you remember there is a garland applique around the outside. And that means I need to make adjustments in order for the border pieces to fit properly. So when I cut the sashing to connect the chickens to the bottom, I made an adjustment for length there by adding a half inch (I think...my memory is hazy on this, but you get the idea). When it was sewn to the bottom section, it looked like this:


So far, so good. Next, I needed to sew that to the two sections to the right, and there were more adjustments for length there. Fortunately, the rest of the sections of the quilt are all the right size.
First, I sewed the two sections together.


And then sewed them to the rest of the quilt.


And that was where I left it for the day. Smitty would have helped, but he was plum tuckered out from all the canning we'd done earlier.

You go on ahead without me. I need some serious shut-eye.


Okay, and so to end a busy and hot day, I used some of the leftover syrup from the cherries in place of the honey syrup and made some Cherry Bees Knees for our evening cocktail. Tasty and refreshing!


Today is going to be another busy day. We have a badly-needed grocery shopping trip to make. Last night's dinner was scraping the bottom of the bacon barrel to put together some BLT's. Now we really are completely out of food. So there's that. Also, we need to make a couple of stops along the way for bird seed, to return a shipment from Amazon, and the liquor store. Our neighbor has kindly encouraged us to pick the pie cherries from her tree. (Whoa! Really? Pie cherries? Count me in!) And she has raspberries as well. Mike can't have the raspberry seeds, but I'll use some to make raspberry-infused vodka. Yum. And then, I'll be doing more canning. 

We may need to wait toward the end of the day to pick the cherries, and so I don't know if I'll be making cherry pie filling or hot cherry pepper jam. It will be one or the other. Our weather has turned hot, and today is going to be the hottest day so far. Picking cherries in the heat of the day sounds very unappealing, but the evenings are nice. Time will tell. I'm hoping to get back to my sewing too, so there's lots on the agenda. My jars are clean and my spirit is willing. Feet, get walking!

11 comments:

Julierose said...

Not easy making appliques and then finding that there is a half-inch discrepancy!! After all that lovely work, too~~ I give you credit for figuring it out...thank heavens for calculators, right?

Enjoy your canning..that cherry cobbler sounds great!!

It is SO DARN HOT here today--and so steamy, that you can see the heat rising off the roadway after last night's big thunder storms...UGH

I've spent my morning trying to draw lavender and pick threads for my Tuscan Sunrise block...love doing this work...;)))

Good to hear you are "back in the saddle" again.
~ ~ ~ waving with my fan Julierose~ ~ ~

Kathy S. said...

OMG! I love that saying -- Grab your BALLS it's canning season. I'd love to have a shirt like that, but I'm sure our son would say it often and some people would not get the content. Happy canning season. This year I am experimenting with a food dehydrator. I ordered it yesterday. I'm sooooo excited! Who knew 20 years ago I'd be excited about dried food? LOL

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Hot cherry pepper jam? I've never heard of it but now I'm craving it. I don't know what it tastes like, but I'm craving it nevertheless. I have often admired the McKenna Ryan designs but haven't succumbed. Glad I didn't now that I hear about your difficulties with sizing. Having said that, it's well worth all that angst with math because your quilt is a showpiece!! Oh...and those jars of cherries don't look half bad either.

Becky said...

I just finished up a jar of Seedless Black Raspberry Jelly. It came from an Amish store (we have Jamesport, MO close). Someone must have taken the time to strain those berries. I don't know what is involved, just remember my mother hanging a cloth bag from a kitchen cabinet pull and letting it drip into a bowl beneath it all night.

Hurray for your Cherries. Down with McKenna!

Vicki W said...

And what did I take away from this post? I don't know what a cherry bees knees is but it looks delightful.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

The cherries look delicious. I tackled some refridgerator pickles and making cucumber salsa tomorrow (guild member gave me the recipe). I would skip all that fusing in the border - just me. The rest of the piece would have me in tears anyway.

Joan said...

I recently discovered McKenna Ryan and her beautiful patterns. I knew I was not ready for that level of expertise, but I did succumb to one of her cute preprinted panels. https://d2v8skpstyl8bm.cloudfront.net/products/images/product/0/9/09873d00-b86c-3a4a-a9de-fc5b797f185f.jpg?1549463302 Hopefully I should be able to stitch over her printed lines. Your panel is gorgeous! The cherries look delicious! Yesterday was my birthday and I had a good day until my machine started having fits in the late afternoon. Sadly not the first time, it is seven years old, which isn’t that old. Anyway, hoping to fix it today. Good luck with your grocery shopping!

MissPat said...

Having watch both a newbie quilter and an experienced one struggle with two different Mckenna Ryan patterns, I've decided, as delightful as they look, they are not for me. I hate fusible applique anyway, so it's not a hard decision. Your cherry concoctions all look delicious.
Pat

Charlotte M. said...

Well, in spite of the minor adjustments, your quilt top is looking very good. I have never done a McKenna Ryan patter because I thought them too detailed and fiddly. Happy canning.

piecefulwendy said...

You pack so much into your posts, they are such fun to read. I'll remind you when you hanker for a McKenna Ryan again - just walk away. Oy, too many adjustments in that quilt for this old gal. Cherry Bee's Knees - I might need your concoction for that. I know what you ended up making with those pie cherries - and yum, it sounds delicious!

Ann said...

Welcome home. Love to read about your canning and sewing adventures. Enjoy the rest of your summer