6/12/20

Lots o' Pots

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, it was a day for repotting the tomatoes into their largest pots of the season yesterday. Mission accomplished.


This is the first year I've ordered live plants from Territorial Seeds, which is a local company. I like getting seeds and plants from them because they are grown in Oregon, and suitable for our local climate. With farmer's markets closed, it seemed like a good time to give it a try. These tomatoes are doing great! I only just received them less than a month ago, and repotting them, I noticed the roots were already reaching to the outer limits of the smaller pots. These are all romas for making sauce. When I had the job all done, they were ready to have their drip irrigation hooked up.

If you're wondering why we grow them in pots like this, it's because our growing season is almost always too short for tomatoes. I end up with beautiful, luscious, fat green tomatoes. It breaks my heart. And so we added a greenhouse around ten years ago. Now the tomatoes get their own room for growing.

Frustratingly, we thought we'd caught all the naughty greenhouse-invading squirrels. The trap was removed because it was in the way. Then, yesterday, I noticed they tunneled in again from the same place. There isn't much left in the greenhouse that they desire. However, they are sampling the lettuce and preventing it from getting to a size we can harvest and use. Also, as I went digging through the dirt in the bin, I noticed they'd "planted" some peanuts there. This is in spite of the fact that the bin is kept covered. No problem for them...they just shove the cover aside and do whatever they like. So, I guess we're back to trapping.

Back outside, the deer left the rose bush alone long enough, and it is covered in flowers. It's unfortunate we've had so much rain the past week (and forecast for the week ahead). The flowers are beaten up by the rain, but they are still very fragrant.


Here's one strawberry the squirrels didn't eat. It was hidden under a rock. I washed it off and ate it straight away.


Smitty caught yet another squirrel yesterday. I think he's fairly wiped out the grey diggers inhabiting the planter area outside our dining room. 

Smitty 5; Squirrels 0 

After feasting on squirrel, he's always ready for a nap on his kitty pole.


He's blissfully unaware of Sadie plotting to topple him from his perch.
 

Just looking at that picture, I started thinking the kitties need a toy box. I wonder if asking kitties to put away their toys would work any better than it did when my kids were little. Nah...probably not.

The only sewing I did yesterday was to finish the stitching in my hoop.


Then I moved it to the far right of the piece. It's about 2/3 finished at this point.


Even though it will probably be several days before I finish, I have the next block for Dancing Chickens and Flying Pigs ready to go. The top-stitching was finished up yesterday, and so only hand embroidery remains. This block is called "Bright Ideas and Plum Jam."


This morning I'm heading out for a quick trip to the grocery store. I have food for about four days, and then we'll have to go again. For now, I'm just stocking up on things to get us through the weekend. There's a little housework to do when I get back, and then I'll get to work making another row of blocks for Jenny's Flower Garden.

9 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Barbara, caught up on your posts now. I'm very interested in your gardening chat. I've just planted 10 roma tomato plants and so far they are growing.
Did Smitty actually eat the squirrel? He'd have a feast here with all the red squirrels I've inadvertently encouraged by feeding the birds.
Do you compost? I do but have yet to have fresh soil here at this house. I did when we lived at the farm.
Love your embroidery. Have a great weekend now.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Your hand work is coming along nicely--
and did you see that Crabapple hill has a couple new pattern releases--I would like the first one--for the $18--!!!!
and are you still going to do the veggie pick ups this summer with our own garden or did you stop that??? Darn can't remember what it was called??? must be getting old and or else me brain is on vacation today!!!
have a fun week end--
luv, di
I did the grocery trip yesterday and was very happy to see almost all the grocery store customers wearing a mask and all the clerks had one on-our counts here in Florida are going up really really fast now!!

Julierose said...

Looks like you will have a wonderful crop of yummy tomatoes...
And...
My husband is enthralled with Smitty's prowess catching squirrels..he asked me if Smitty was a BIG cat--like a Maine Coon cat--I showed him Smitty's picture and he was amazed...we could use Smitty here for sure--too many squirrels and chipmunks galore...

Tomorrow I have to weed our front patio garden--we are overrun with wild viloets..pretty but totally taking over the space...
Hope your weekend weather is good...Hugs from far away, Julierose

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Smitty is doing a great job and deserves that nap high on a pedistle. The furkids keep most things under control here - and that's a lot of property to patrol. They have left the skunk family alone - thank you very much. Waiting to see if very white mama Pew has a slew of white babies again this year. We had a couple of hot and humid days, but then a storm rolled thru and we dropped 20 degrees. I actually pulled on my sweats today!

Patricia said...

I saw a youtube video this week about using tulle netting draped over or around plants to keep the critters away. They get their claws tangled in it and don't like that. She bought it on line for $10 for a 40 yard bolt. Available at Jo Ann for less than a $1 a yard. She has used it successfully to deter birds, rabbits, racoons etc. For years. Might be an easy cheap fix for you and it is reusable for a few years.

Dorothy said...

I picked my 1st 5 raspberries this evening-going straight into the mouth-no strawberries, except for the "wild" ones. Extremely tiny, but extremely sweet. Smitty is such a stud !!!

piecefulwendy said...

I'm chuckling looking at that photo of the kitties - we have cat toys strewn all over our living room floor. I'm not sure who spread them all over. Time to gather them and put them in the basket again. Five squirrels - go Smitty! It's amazing how smart those varmints are, isn't it? Sure isn't much that stops them. Roma tomatoes - yum!

Auntiepatch said...

I have a cat toy basket that I put their toys in. Then they take them all out, one by one!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Squirrels are pesky that's for certain - and incredibly smart. Very glad to hear the deer left the roses alone - they are one thing I miss now that we don't have a garden. I always loved the old-fashioned single ones because they smelled so wonderful.