5/5/20

The Poppy Has Popped

Yesterday's effort in the sewing room was devoted to finishing up the poppy mosaic. And there it is...all 1,120 one-inch squares of it.


It still has a border of square-in-a-square blocks. There will be 72 of those. I'll be able to chain piece them, and so they shouldn't take too long. I was kind of tempted to quit here, but I'll keep working on it until I get the borders on, and then toss it onto the quilts to be sandwiched pile. I haven't really explored my options for a quilt back yet. I might need to purchase something, so we'll see.

And then I was kind of curious...what does the outdoor poppy from Ireland think of all this poppy mosaic quilt business? So, I went outside to take a look. Ooooh...this is looking promising.


But let's just back-up to the start of the day, shall we? I checked into the greenhouse and found one of the zucchini seeds has sprouted.


There are also a few sunflowers. And take a look at the Cat Grass. It's starting to look more lawn-like. In a few weeks, the kitties should be munching on this.


After that, I went back to work on my slow-stitching. I'm off to a good start on one of the snowmen. It was nice to be back to my beloved embroidery. It's such a nice, calming way to start a day.


After that, I spent my time finishing up the quilt. But I wasn't finished walking around the yard afterward. When I'd checked the poppy, I headed over to the golden chain tree to check on its progress. It has lots of flowers, and I expect they'll open in the next day or two.


Also, I noticed these tiny little flowers growing among the grass. They're weeds (as is pretty much the whole field at our place), but they're so pretty and delicate. The flowers are about half the size of a dime.


Then I checked on the peonies. I can see the colors of the petals on some of the buds.


And here's something I know about peonies. They secrete a sugary nectar that is beloved by ants. If you've ever grown peonies (I have grown one before), then you've noticed they are covered in ants. The ants do not harm the plants, and the plants do not require ants to open. So, take a look at this next image. I can see the nectar there. We don't have a lot of ants in our yard, but I'll be watching for them now that they've been provided with a sweet treat.


Also, I noticed another bud on the purple poppy.


Only, here's the thing: Mae showed me her poppies while we were at their house. The purple ones have completely different foliage. Apparently the new ones come up purple, but after one bloom, mutate to red ones. So these will be just the same as the others...red...and the new ones I've planted will be too. It's very mysterious, and we haven't figured out this transformation of foliage and color. Obviously, I'm going to need to pay a visit to my friend The Google for more information.

Here's our sad little apple tree, but it's very pretty right now. It's covered in flowers. I don't think I've ever seen so many blossoms on it. Maybe after 15 years in the ground it will turn into a big boy apple tree after all.


The flowers are so pretty right now.


Also, the rhododendron in front of the house is getting ready to bloom. Of the rhodies, I think this one has the prettiest flower. It looks something like an orchid when it opens.


The little cherry tomato is only about five inches tall, but it already has its first flower. It's growing in a whiskey barrel with strawberries all around. I have to go out each morning and move the strawberry foliage away so that it can get some sunlight. Eventually, it will grow taller than the strawberries, but it's not there yet.


Mike has done a lot of work getting the garden plot ready for planting. We're still a couple of weeks away from that, and he's waiting on some fencing for the ends of the plot.


I've marked with an arrow where there's a stake marking the insertion point for the fence pole. He cleverly made the ends removable so that he could take them off to get the tractor and mower inside the fence. Some of you have observed that this is a large plot...yes, yes, it is. It's a lot of work, which is just one more reason we haven't planted anything here in a long time. We'll only plant about a third of it this year, and then increase year-by-year as we feel up to it. Or maybe not at all. It depends on the success of this year's garden.

We were sitting on our garden bench when I took that picture of the garden. While we were sitting there, the first of the black-headed grosbeaks showed up. These are kind of the slow pokes of the bird population. Of the migrating birds, they are the last to arrive each year.


Smitty was happy to see him.


So let's just check back on that poppy. When I looked at it this morning, it looked like this.


It looks like my poppy quilt strategy has worked splendidly. Also, I noticed another bud on it, for a total of five.

But if that's not enough to brighten your day, then check out the ears on my bat cat.


It's going to be a nice day...maybe a little coolish...but we're going out for a drive. It's Cinco de Mayo, and my birthday, and so we'll splurge and get some take-out Mexican food this evening. What are your plans to celebrate the day?

27 comments:

Margaret said...

Happy Birthday, Barbara! I love looking at your garden photos, as we appear to be 2 or 3 weeks behind you, here in mid MIchigan. Because of (way too many) deer, the only spring flowering plants in my area are daffodils and forsythia, so your photos are a joy to look at. We’re having fajitas for dinner tonight. Got to love Mexican food!!

Robin said...

Happy Birthday Barbara! Beautiful pictures. I hope all of your flowers bloom and bloom.

Julierose said...

Happy Birthday fellow Taurian!! ;)))Mine is May 12th...
We went for a little ride yesterday to charge up our Subaru battery--we took back roads through densely wooded areas...we only saw ONE other car...it was so good to get out for something else besides grocery shopping...which makes me anxious for sure...
Your garden is really looking great. My one peony is just pushing up
stems...they are maroon..no buds as yet that I could see...
Enjoy your early morning embroidery...
~ ~ ~ waving in the cold winds Julierose

QuiltShopGal said...

Happy Birthday. Definitely, a great way to celebrate (Cinco de Mayo, Mexican take out dinner, a fun drive). Congratulations on your poppy finish. Absolutely stunning. She really does pop.

Janarama said...

Happy Birthday Barbara!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Happy Birthday to you--
Happy Birthday to you--
have a great day and dinner out!!
and save me some cake as mine is tomorrow--!!!
luv, di

Terri said...

Happy Birthday!

Lyndsey said...

Happy birthday Barbara. Enjoy your celebration dinner. The poppy opened just in time to help the celebrations go with a bang.

Terri in BC said...

Happy birthday! It seems particularly timed well this year, Cinco de Mayo on Taco Tuesday during the Corona(virus) lockdown! Have a good one.

Frog Quilter said...

Happy birthday. Did the cats wish you a happy birthday?

quiltzyx said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Barbara!!!
I hope you've been having a delightful day & that your take-out Mexican food is yummy!

The Poppy quilt looks fab - as do the popping up Poppies-from-Ireland! Huzzah!!

Love looking at all the beauties in your garden - and on the catio as well.

:)

JoannU said...

Happy Birthday, Barbara! I love your photos. Your flowers are beautiful, as is your poppy quilt. It amazes me that you get so much done each day on your quilting. I look forward to seeing it quilted and bound. JoannU

crazy quilter said...

Happy Birthday!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Happy Birthday, Barbara! How grand that the poppy is 'popping' as you are just about done with the poppy quilt. Again, thank you for the blooming things photos as we have yet very little 'spring life' in our area. AND they are saying a major snow storm coming in Friday thru Saturday - UGH!!!

Della said...

Happy Birthday Barbara, hope it was all you expected.

Cathy said...

Happy Birthday Barbara! We had Mexican food tonight, too, but homemade. Your poppy quilt top is impressive. I’m sure the real poppy is going to have to try doubly hard to show off now!

SJSM said...

A perfect day for a BIRTHDAY celebration. Enjoy cutting loose and driving without traffic in Portlandia. I sure hope you can whiz down the highway with the wind blowing in your hair to clear out the cobwebs. Enjoy the Mexican food and a Margarita or two.

Joan said...

Happy Birthday Barbara! Hope you had a fabulous dinner! We had chicken fajitas at home. Your poppy mosaic is beautiful and so are all of your flowering plants. Love seeing all of your lovely photos.

Catherine said...

Happy birthday Barbara! Hope you have a wicked time today. Love reading your blog every day, look forward to seeing what the kitties are up to. Stay safe, love from Cath, Withernsea, East Coast of England

Linda said...

I hope you enjoyed your birthday! Your poppy quilt is stunning.
I enjoyed the garden walk. We have some weeds in our yard that are blooming, and my husband the weed-hater actually suggested we let them be.
Thank you for the photos of Smitty's fine physique and Sadie's sweet ears.

piecefulwendy said...

I still have no idea why I get your posts a day late in my inbox; I know I could read ahead, but then I'd not have any to greet me the next morning. Anyhoo, happy birthday once again! I'm loving your poppy parade, both in your garden and in your quilt room. And mutant poppies? A new, fun thing to explore!

Sherry said...

Happy Birthday Barbara, your Poppy quilt is stunning as is your lovely flowers and trees. Hope you enjoyed your dinner.

Susan said...

Happy Birthday.

bcarlf said...

Happy, happy birthday. I so look forward to your posts every day. There is always something to enjoy, especially the kitties, since I lost my Lady D. I can not imagine ever having the skill or patience to use 1 inch pieces. I would probably pull my hair out. That quilt is so beautiful! I can hardly wait to see the poppies and peonies in full bloom. I had many more irises and lillies this year, due, I think, to having to have some trees cut back. They were beautiful.

Have a wonderful birthday celebration!

ckrut said...

Happy Birthday Barbara. Hope it's a great one!

Michele said...

I absolutely love your poppy quilt. Great job. It's certainly something I wouldn't want to try.

beaquilter said...

That poppy quilt is great! Also I really like how your blog still shows the side bars on mobile, the type is tiny but I can zoom in.