4/8/20

Purrmuda Triangle

The sixth block for the Dancing Chickens & Flying Pigs quilt is finished now. There wasn't much hand embroidery to do, and so it finished up in just a few days.


Here are the six blocks I have for this quilt so far.


From there I did some housework and then picked a bucket of weeds. It takes about 45 minutes to fill my bucket. As I went, I deadheaded the hydrangeas too. There's still plenty of weeding to do. I expect to be at this all summer long. When my chores were done, I headed back into the sewing room. There...I found this mouthy urchin.

Wait a minute...are you *still* sewing triangles together?


As I meowed yesterday, we are not going to help if you continue on with this pawsitively most boring project in the whole world. Smitty, it's time to put our paws down.


Smitty is of a mind to just turn his back on this whole miserable affair. He went outside to watch the squirrel show, already in purrogress.

And then...I proceeded to sew the remaining bonus triangles. It took all day, but they are all sewn into HST's now, and sorted by size.


When I first started working my way through the bag of bonus triangles, I had in mind to sew them all randomly into a single quilt. Now that I've spent so much up-close-and-personal time with them, I realize I probably have several small quilts here. With so much variation in sizes, colors, and "genres" of fabrics, it's been hard to envision putting them into a single quilt. I've found some great photos on Pinterest, however, that could use large swaths of them in a single quilt. It's all a mystery right now what will become of these.

Also, along the way, I sewed these little leftover cut-off ends of strip sets into 9-patches. There are 24 of these.


They were generated with I made the Home & Heart quilt.


There were still just a few pieces left at the end of my sewing day. I sewed them into this little patch...just to show them who's boss.


The kitties were all set into striking mode by then. Sadie was sleeping next to the fireplace.


Smitty was yelling cuss words at the squirrels who were taunting him unmercifully.


Today I'll get back to my hand quilting project. It's been a couple of months since I worked on this...way back when we visited Cathedral Gorge back in February...life was so innocent back then when we could still go outside and even talk to perfect strangers.


When I left off, I had the area inside the yellow line finished. You can see there isn't a whole lot left on this. I just need to quilt around the outside edges to finish it off. Yesterday I was working out a strategy for myself. I have three pay-it-forward gifts to make...they will all be small embroidery projects. I'm thinking I'll work on this a little each day, while simultaneously checking off the pay-it-forward gifts. The hand quilting project might be a little more palatable if I mix it in with some embroidery. As for the rest of the day, it'll be much like yesterday...a little housework and a little weed-picking, then more sewing.

8 comments:

Julierose said...

The Pigs Flying piece is so darn cute--I love it...
i have 2 pay-it-forward gifts to make and i think one of them will be the "Lord" embroidery piece...going to trace it out this afternoon.
I layered up my Seaside spring into a good sized table topper...
will begin hand quilting that soon.. (thanks again;}}})
~ ~ ~ waving in the rains Julierose

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I'm thinking your kitties have not been much help lately in the sewing room. You should remind them that their job is far more complicated than just a glance over the shoulder. I like how you turned those red and black scrap squares into a block right away. Great idea!
xx, Carol

piecefulwendy said...

Yay for the HST organization, even if it bored the kitties to death. Wilbs is taunted by a chipmunk, who boldly comes right up to the patio door of my quilt room, right in front of Wilbs. Poor fella - he really wants to teach that chipmunk a lesson or two. Isn't it crazy to think back a month and realize how different things were? Glad you were able to be outside, that helps at least a little.

Linda said...

I started laughing as soon as I saw the title of your post. Last night I pulled out a pile of HSTs and thought about doing something with them. In the end I put them back, just in a neater pile. Love Flying Pigs, it is so cute!

yorkie mom said...

I love the Home to Heart pattern. I just ordered it. You made such a cute quilt from it. One quick question, did you use embroidery floss or the pearl cotton thread?

QuiltGranma said...

Squirrels... as in MOOSE AND SQUIRREL? "Hey, Rocky! Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat." sorry, could not help myself! Word association, you know.

Kate said...

It's amazing you've been able to persevere with the Kitties giving you such grief. Hopefully they will be more encouraging with the hand quilting project you are so close to finishing.

quiltzyx said...

Looks like it was a nice day to be out in the catio for the Smitster. How rude of those squirrels to be partying though. Even though Sadie was on strike, she's still striking to see!