4/6/20

Making a Dent

There was quite a bit to do yesterday, although hands-on work was at a minimum. Mainly, my day was spent setting timers and then responding when they went off. By day's end, we had a yummy turkey dinner. But first...slow stitching, of course.

As I mentioned, there isn't much hand embroidery on the Dancing Chickens & Flying Pigs block. Already, I have most of it finished:


Also, I've signed up to make four pay-it-forward gifts over the next year. This one is for a friend from high school who doesn't read my blog. I'll be able to show it as I go along. Here...I kind of messed up because I thought I was tracing with a brown pen, and was surprised to find it was purple. It's hard to see color when I'm staring at a bright light box. It was tempting to start over, but I adjusted the colors to include a lot of purple and lavender. It should turn out fine.


This was a free pattern from Jenny of Elefantz at one time. I tried searching for it online, but couldn't find it. My original download was in 2013, and a lot has changed on her site and others since that time. I'll be happy to send it to you if you want it. Just email me.

Also, as I perused my stash for any purple fabrics that might do for a small border and a backing, I came across this long-time resident. I love it when I can use one of my oldest fabrics. This one was probably a gift from someone, but I can't recall when it came into my life. There is 3/4 of a yard, so plenty for this project.


From there I needed to make a salad, but then headed into the sewing room where the Cat Force was ready for action.

What are we sewing today?


Oh, Smitty...purrlease tell me she's not sewing more of those bonus triangles. Those are pawsitively boooorrrrrrring!


I'm afurraid so, Sadie. She sets these "goal" things for herself. I don't understand why she can't go outside and hunt some birds, but then, nobody asked me.


Well...these don't even smell very good. Purrhaps we could disrupt the purrocess enough to discourage her purrogress.


Pawsibly, this one would make an excellent place to bed down for a nap.


Maybe if I lie on this ruler, she'll be purrvented from moving furrward.


Despite their heroic efforts at discouraging me, I did make a dent in the bag yesterday.


As for those pink and white ones, I have quite a few of them generated when I made the Snow Globes quilt top (still waiting its turn to be quilted).


Also, I pulled this printout from my bag of bonus triangles. It was something I thought I might do with at least some of the resulting HST's. This is called the Arrow Baby Quilt, a free pattern from Bernina's We All Sew website. I probably have about 48 of these, and so I should have enough to make a pretty good-sized quilt from them. If I mix them with other colors...even bigger.


Probably, I sewed several hundred of those yesterday, all the while tending to the turkey that was in the oven. The only other thing I needed to do was to make some mashed potatoes and roast some asparagus, and we had ourselves a nice turkey dinner last night. It was kind of nice to do something a little bit special. We missed Erik and Mae.


There are leftovers for another meal too, so this will keep us fed for a while.

There was a pretty sunrise this morning. Our weather is going to improve significantly over the next two weeks. Definitely, we'll be getting out to do some yard clean-up.


Mike was greatly improved yesterday and even moreso this morning. I think he's over the worst of whatever crud he picked up. It would be nice to know whether it was COVID since that would give us a lot of information, but probably we'll never find out. I've been reading with interest some articles about testing for antibodies, and that could give us good information if it ever comes to pass.

On today's agenda, more slow-stitching, a bucket of weeds, and a little housework before I get back to the bonus triangles. They feel a little less formidable now that the bag is less full. There are still many more to make though. I expect it'll be a day or two before they're all sewn together. After that, I'll be figuring out what to do with them.

8 comments:

Julierose said...

that little "May the Lord Bless.." embroidery is so charming...
And your Dandelions is almost done...I cannot seem to get myself to embroider and I have a lot waiting in line...plus I just sent for the cutest blocks from Gay Boomer of Sentimental Stitches...
maybe when I can sit out on our deck the mood will come over me...
anyway, that turkey dinner looks like it was amazing...
Still coolish here...but MR> SUN deigned to come out for a visit YAY!!
waving overland....~ ~ ~ Julierose;)))

P.S. those kitties are so funny...they are surely the best "conversationalist-kitties" I know...
And so glad to hear hubs is getting better...

Vroomans' Quilts said...

My helpers enjoyed a long walk with me today, but disappeared when I needed quilting assistance. I much prefer a turkey dinner on a non-holiday day. It's a treat and we all need a treat these days.

Della said...

Your turkey dinner looks delicious. We will probably have turkey for Easter dinner unless one of the girls is going to the store before then and can pick us up a ham. I don't mind, I prefer turkey. Glad to see the kitties are back in full force. Have missed them.

SJSM said...

Glad to hear Mike is doing better. That must be a huge relief for all.

59 masks done and counting. I’m getting faster now that I’ve learned how to use the Bernina #88 foot. Took 10 years sitting in a drawer and 5 minutes to learn how to use it. Binding edges is now a one step process. No pressing, turning oe re-pressing needed.

Linda said...

That fabric looks perfect for the "May the Lord bless" embroidery. Love looking at the kitties helping you and their dialogue never fails to make me laugh. That is a BIG dent in the triangle bag! Your plate of food looks so very good. I hope the birthday celebrant enjoyed his 7-layer salad. The potatoes with skin on - yum!

piecefulwendy said...

I love it when I can pull an older fabric from my stash and put it to use. You have some lovely embroidery projects happening. The meal looks delicious - too bad Erik and Mae couldn't be with you, but understandable too. The kitties are looking good!

Lyndsey said...

I would love a turkey dinner right now but I'll have to wait a while for that. I like your 'May the Lord bless' embroidery and it is always a win win when you have fabric in your stash for the border and backing. When you can use a piece that has been around a while it feels like you've helped it achieve its purpose in life.

quiltzyx said...

Oh yum, gotta love a roasted turkey dinner any time of the year! Nice job Barbara!

Looks like you foiled the kitties' plot to disrupting your HST building time. :)
I like that Arrow Baby Quilt.