3/31/20

Cats, Confusion, and Chaos

(Awesome alliteration.) Some might say "cats, confusion, and chaos" are synonyms, but what do they know? As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I was close to filling my slow-stitching hoop. When I finished up with my stitching yesterday, I'd stitched the whole of the right side of the block.


Now I've moved my hoop to the left side, and I stitched in the flag before I stopped for the day.


When I moved into the sewing room, I started a new project...this one...


I wanted to make the "tall cat" in the upper left-hand corner. These blocks are mostly pieced in the way Pam Bono created her patterns...with strips of different sizes, lengths, shapes, etc. In the end, it all works out, but it can be tedious to do the cutting. Also, the blocks are larger than I expected, and so when the instructions say to use fat quarters, they aren't just kidding around. I started with a large scrap for a background piece, but still ended up supplementing with a few closely color-matched scraps.

The first section was to make the cat's head. That was easy enough. The triangular nose is folded so that it is three-dimensional. I'm going to tack it down with a single stitch when I'm finished with the whole block.


Here's where it got confusing. The collar pieces are also three dimensional. The instructions were very confusing, and the accompanying diagrams were less-than-helpful. It was the sort of thing you needed to understand three steps down the road for the current step to make sense. And so I sewed it together wrong at first, but then it all became clear. When I make the rest of the blocks, I'll understand how to do this without the need to do it wrong first.


When Sadie saw how much trouble this was giving me, she decided to lend her paw and her expurrt guidance.


And she is the best little trooper...working, working, working to make my sewing life easier.


Honestly, I was overwhelmed.


It was almost too much.


When I could see she was getting tired, I encouraged her to nap in her little kitty bed, which she did. Thankfully. Then, I could finish up the rest. The tie section is paper-pieced, but it's not too hateful.


The only thing left to do at that point was to add the eyes. I'm choosing colors consistent with those shown on the pattern cover.


Now it's waiting for me downstairs. I still need to hand embroider the mouth and the whiskers. I tried doing it by machine, but it didn't work very well. It'll be faster and better-defined if I do it by hand. When that's finished, I believe I'll cut the squares for the sashing and add them around each block as I go. It will save me from having to cut zillions of them when I'm ready to finish the quilt.

As for today's activities, we have some sunshine this morning. It might be a good day to get out and pick another bucket of weeds. Our weather has been so crappy, I haven't set foot outside since the last bucket I picked. Today I must make at least a short trip to the grocery store. There's a story behind this decision, but it would take too long to tell. All you need to know is that I haven't done up a menu or a list, and so I'm just getting a few things we need to get by until I make up a more complete list. And that brings me to this meme I found on my Facebook memories this morning. I posted this six years ago...little did I know how pertinent it would seem for the times. It describes how I feel about the grocery store both then and now.
Mike has been sick since we returned home from our trip...12 days now. His symptoms are mild...a low-grade fever, dry cough, and fatigue. It seems likely he has COVID-19. On the other hand, neither Matthew nor I have any symptoms at all. I know it's possible for people to have the virus and be asymptomatic, but for both of us to be asymptomatic seems unlikely. So that makes me think Mike doesn't have the virus, but I don't know what else would hang on for so long with the symptoms he has. Anyway...he scheduled a teleconference with his doctor for this morning. I doubt his condition warrants testing, since tests are scarce right now. It's just one more thing to add to the anxiety that goes with these weird times.

Okay, so I wrote that last paragraph without really intending to, but there it is. It's hard to know how to behave under the conditions, but life goes on. We need groceries, and so I must go. Someone suggested asking neighbors to do my shopping, but all of my neighbors are even older than we are, and so I don't feel right about that. Someone else suggested our church, but we don't attend church. Someone else suggested the police. Really??? No, I'll do the shopping, and I'll maintain social distance. It seems the best solution for our household.

So with that I'll sign off in the usual way...stay well...be safe. Most of all, stay sane.

17 comments:

Robin said...

Barbara, you know I just love your Appalachian Memories quilt blocks. Your stitching is gorgeous and the quilt feels so special. Love your new Ties & Tails quilt. Sorry for the frustration but you always pull these things out and make it beautiful. So sorry to hear about Mike. I hope he gets all better quick and you and Matt stay healthy. Sending good vibes your way from the east coast - Robin.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Make yourself a mask, wear gloves and sanitize your cart handle. Just took my Mom up to all the stores open all day just for Seniors - yes, we have a whole day for us. Everyone has the 'gear'. We suspect we had the virus back in late fall as we all had these sysmptoms and down for the time - now they say it could have been in the area back then. They usually have you home isolate if not in a distressed state - hope Mike recovers soon.

Julierose said...

Sending good thoughts--hoping your hubby doesn't have it--"IT" needing no explanation these days..;000
We signed on for Instacart delivery --that was difficult this morning--got frazzled--not user-friendly--but we have been told at 76 and 81 NOT to go to the store..so we will wait for delivery time--standing in line virtually, I guess...
Stay vigilant and wear a mask and gloves at the grocery--
~ ~ ~ Julierose ;)))
P.S. Like how your barn/flag is coming together...

Judy said...

We live in CA and in our 80’s. I used “InstaCart” to order our groceries this week. It’s so easy. I used my Visa, chose my store, and it was delivered to my porch. It cost a little more because of a small delivery fee and tip for the driver, but we are so afraid to go out at all. It took a few hours to get here, (don’t order ice cream), but I was in no hurry. You might give it a try, I think InstaCart is everywhere. Judy

DeeDee said...

How scary that Mike may have it. I've been sick as well and so has my son, but for us it's just our usual seasonal allergies. We both have mild coughs, but no other COVID symptoms. Sending you good thoughts that he gets better quickly and that you and your son stay healthy.

As far as grocery shopping goes, do what you have to do. My son and I are both high risk. I have RA and my meds suppress my immune system. He has asthma. My husband does everything for us right now. It sucks, but it is what it is. I imagine that you're being smart and careful.

Thanks for continuing to blog. I've been following you for several years and your blog has always been a way for me to travel without leaving my house. But now it's also a way for me to feel connected to people, even though I don't know you personally. Facebook, my social knitting site, my quilt shop's Facebook page, blogs - all a way to feel connected.

My cats are a continual source of amusement and affection.I love reading about the antics that yours get up to. What would we do without our furry companions? I hope Mike will improve and that the rest of the house stays healthy and happy!

Katie said...

Yes, to the uninitiated, your blog title might seem like synonyms. But once you've been owned by cats, you know the difference! I braved the grocery store today for the first time in over a week and found the shelves better stocked than before. Nowhere near normal, but getting better. I hope they continue to improve (and cat litter gets restocked!!) with time. As for your hubby, you may never know. I had something that MAY have been the virus three weeks ago - before everyone was in such a panic. Which means my hubby was exposed (no symptoms) and on down the line. I wonder how many of us have been exposed and never knew it. And how many of us have had it and just thought it was the flu. We may never know! But I do hope your hubby starts feeling better soon. I'm still coughing from my bout of whatever and decided maybe I should learn to drink tea to help. Half a cup of slightly flavored warm water and I am NOT a convert, even if it did seem to help a little... Just keep sewing!

Lynette said...

Hey, this first kitty turned out great! Love the 3D collar, but I'm not the one who had to audition the pattern and then redo it when it made sense. ;D

That's awful that Mike's been sick for so long. :( If it is COVID, 12 days is a good benchmark - the people who are crashing badly are doing so between days 7 and 9. I sure hope he feels better soon.

Sally Trude said...

Dearest Barbara,

I suggest you wear a shirt that says “Loving Mother of Sadie McWormypants” and then social distancing will not be a problem.

Respectfully,

Molly Kitten

Quilting Babcia said...

So sorry to hear that Mike has been feeling poorly. Hope it's just allergies and not the C19. Take care and let Matthew pick up what you need on his way home from work.

Tilly said...

Love your kitty block.

Hope that Mike just have a cold, stay save and sane, and take care.

Linda said...

Love the tall cat! I hate it when instructions are confusing.
Hoping Mike gets well soon. Glad he isn't any worse, but I know it must be stressful. You are doing exactly what I would do in your situation.

Karen said...

Mike, you do not have "It". I won't let it be. There is this virus going around that the biggest symptom is extreme prolonged tiredness. Med centers are calling it bronchitis , because of the cough. It lasts about 3 weeks, and the cough another 1 to 2 weeks.
Glad Sadie was willing and able to help. She is such a good kitty.
Mc wormy pants no longer! Molly! Be nice !

piecefulwendy said...

I'm so glad Sadie was there to help you with that quilt block. Wilbur is helpful like that when he sees thread; he's pretty sure he needs to do a quality-control check, along with a taste test, of the thread. It's quite helpful, really. His timing is a little off, though. Know that you all are much in my thoughts. Hope Mike is feeling better soon.

Jeanne said...

Hope you are ALL ok!

bcarlf said...

Oh, two adorable kitties - one pieced and one an incredible helper. I so enjoy following you, as your escapades are a great source of entertainment to me. Thank you so much. I hope Mike is back to his normal self in just a few days and some of your stress is relieved. I would take the advice of wearing a mask and gloves on your trip to the grocery store.

Dots said...

Super cute kitty block. I have to admit I would have gave up on that one. Just looking at the pictures, whew! But you pushed through and it sure was worth it.
I home and pray your husband gets over his illness soon. Glad it is mild. Let's hope you and your son does not get it, too. Hopefully, this country will get back to good health and normal soon.

kc said...

Beep, beep, I'm backing up! I'm sure you'll know what I mean by that. But, yeah, awesome alliteration. loved seeing Miss Sadie helping you out. Now I see how long Mike has been ill, thankful you and Matt are still clear. After reviewing the published symptoms and timelines, I'm wondering if this is what hit me so hard and so long back in early January. I thought I was dying and was actually praying that it would come quicker. Somehow, through all that, Driver never got more than a cough, and I isolated (heck, I hibernated, to tell the whole truth) so no one in our group seemed to get it. And if they did, it didn't show up until after we had left, and I don't know anything about it. Kitty cat really developed his personality with the addition of his eyes and whiskers.