3/30/20

A New Scrappy

It was a quiet day here yesterday. Self-quarantining hasn't really caused me to break stride at all. My days are pretty much as they've always been, with the addition of Mike sitting in the chair across from me. He was working up until we left on our trip south this past December. Now he's home...hopefully, for good. My biggest concern is my weekly (or so) trips to the grocery store and worry about what will be there (or not be there) when I arrive. Grocery shopping has always been the biggest annoyance in my life, and now it's even more annoying than ever.

Yesterday, I mixed up the bread dough and got it ready to go, and then spent some time on my slow-stitching. I should finish up the first hoop's worth this morning, and I'll have a picture for you in tomorrow's post.

When I made my way into the sewing room, I started on a new project called "City Bank." It comes from this book:


The quilts in this book were inspired by urban views...patterns on buildings...city blocks...that sort of thing. I'm assuming this quilt was named for the City Bank building, although I'm not sure about that. It consists of 7 horizontal rows of 6 blocks each. My progress on this quilt will be measured in rows of blocks. By that I mean that when its turn comes in my WIPs rotation, I'll make a row of blocks, or six blocks. 

Yesterday's effort involved cutting all the black strips for the entire quilt. I'm using my blues and greens for the remainder, although I might decide to add some purple too. The quilt pattern suggests one lavender "surprise" block. I'm kind of thinking if I'm going to include lavender at all, I might split the blocks up into three colors and add in some purples too. What do you think? For now, I have just six blocks (the first row) finished. But before these can be allowed into the quilt, they must first pass the snuggleability test.


I purrnounce them to be of acceptable quality.


Phew! She had me a little worried there. So, these are intended to be a row of six, but I put them in pattern so you could see what it's going to look like. The bright green in the lower left corner is one of Vicki Welsh's hand-dyed fabrics.


I have lots of long cut off strips from the edges of quilts that are going to be laid to rest as I make this. I'm hoping I'll see a dent in my scraps because of it, but then...hahahahahahahahaha...because that never happens.

It was close to dinner time when my loaf of bread went into the oven. When it came out...voila!


We had slices with our dinner, and then again this morning with our breakfast. It's already about 3/4 eaten. Next, I'm going to make some conventional white sandwich bread, but I'll probably wait until tomorrow for that.

Today I'm starting yet another new project. As I mentioned, I have three open spaces on my WIPs dance card, and so this quilt pattern is the third of three.


I can't remember how I acquired this pattern, but I've been wanting to make it for a long time. I pulled a few fabrics for it yesterday, but I'll mostly rely on scraps. Paging through the pattern yesterday, I realized it's a little more complicated than it looks...all pieced, with some paper-piecing and embroidery. The cat eyes are appliqued on, I believe. It will be a good use of my red, orange, and yellow scraps, and I found a perfect outer border fabric in my stash of cat fabrics. Today, I'll start working on the tall cat in the upper left-hand corner, and my plan is to make one cat each time this comes up in the WIPs rotation. Oh yes, and if you want one of these patterns for your very own, I found them for sale right here.

This morning, I saw this meme on Facebook...



No kidding. Does this seem like the longest month of March EVER?!? As I mentioned to my friend Lyndsey yesterday, it's weird that the whole world is experiencing this catastrophe at the same time. Usually these sorts of things are limited to a small geographical area, and so it seems strange to be talking with folks from the United Kingdom and Australia about what's happening right here in Oregon. And now we're extending our self-isolation through April 30th...in the USA, at least. I don't know about you, but I really hope this doesn't wreck the whole summer. All we can do is stay home and stay safe, and hope to minimize the number of deaths. Stay healthy, Everybody.

8 comments:

Julierose said...

that bread looks scrumptious! I made Parker House rolls this morning using my bread machine for the dough mixing...we will have them with my chicken soup tonight..
Stay safe and vigilant ~ ~ ~ ~waves from across the country
Julierose

LavenderBlue said...

Beautiful loaf! A lady in my quilt guild (60 mi. away) has contracted the virus. She believes that happened at her bible study. I have no idea when I will personally consider it safe enough to venture out again when the restrictions are lifted. It is now among us.

Lyndsey said...

Several of my colleagues have the virus and both older daughter and her fiance. They are both recovering slowly and Katy is managing to do a little teaching. She is a teacher at a secondary school and like the university they are teaching remotely. I know a lot more people in the UK have had or got the virus than the figures show since they haven't been testing folks who are getting ill but not requiring hospital. Stay safe and protect yourself especially if you are older (like me).

I like the quilts you are starting and that green fabulous is a great colour. Love the cat quilt pattern. I haven't made up my mind about my new project but will do by the end of the week when I'm on holiday for two weeks. We can't go away on our planned holiday but I can spend two week sewing.

Vicki W said...

I love those greens and blues together! Our gov has decided that we will stay like this until the random date of June 10. It's going to be hard for them to collect the obscene amount of new taxes they passed just a few weeks ago.

Linda said...

Oh I like the new scrappy - the blues and greens look great with the black. The bread looks so, so good! You've almost persuaded me to try to start a sourdough (after 10 years).

Laura said...

I saw this free snowflake design a newsletter I receive and thought that you'd love it. https://stitchfloral.blogspot.com/2017/12/snowflake-mandala-winter-inspired.html

piecefulwendy said...

I always had grocery store avoidance, now it's even worse. I'm keeping a list and will go when I think the list is long enough. Might have to make do until then. I think I might have that book, or I've looked at it. It has some good quilts in it, so it will be fun to see yours. Glad Sadie approved. And a cat quilt - yay!

Quilter Kathy said...

All of a sudden I am famished... guacamole and fresh made bread... heaven!