3/16/20

A Do-Nothing Day

It has rained for nearly two days straight. We've been cozy and warm in the RV. We stayed in yesterday, but we're still planning to go out this morning to see the last two gold rush towns. Hopefully, we won't run into flooding anywhere. The area we are in is akin to Texas's "hill country." It reminds us a lot of that area. There is a reservoir nearby, and the level is down significantly. I know the folks who depend on drinking and irrigation water from the reservoir are going to be happy about this rain. It isn't cold enough for snow, but some is falling in big fat flakes anyway. It isn't sticking, but it is always concerning to see snow when we're towing a big RV.

So we hung out yesterday. I did quite a bit of work on my embroidery. I had to back up and do a little more beading on the 7th snowflake. As I was searching out instructions for the eighth, I realized I'd missed some of the beads on the one just finished. That was my first task yesterday. It's a little hard to see in this image, but I added beads at the tips of all the darkest floss "lobes" and the center star.


This is my project for March's


and so I'm glad I noticed that before the month was up. I wouldn't want to be cheating when I link up to the party at the end of the month...if we live that long...these days, nothing is certain.

With that finished, I went back to work on Snowflake #8. Quite a bit is accomplished, but there's still plenty to go. 


The sparkle floss is difficult to thread on the needle, and it wants to shred as I'm working with it. Still, I love the look.

And that's about it for the day. We've been considering our options for the remainder of our trip, and I think we've both tired of this journey through Crazy Town. We've decided to head for home tomorrow. We can be there in two days, traveling at a leisurely pace. Things have become too uncertain to be out and about, and there is security at home. Our freezer and pantry are well stocked, and so it seems a good time to end our travels for this Rainbird trip. We had several spaces reserved for the road ahead, and I've canceled all but one. The remaining one will be canceled as soon as the office starts answering the phone. Heading home, we can stay at a free spot along the way, and then we'll spend our last night at Valley of the Rogue State Park, where we spent the first night of this trip.

Today we're determined to get out and see Sonora and Columbia, and we might make one more run at the grocery store. I'll probably blog about today's sight-seeing, but then I'll probably hang up my blogging hat until we get home.

In closing, this little message came up on my Facebook memories this morning. It seems especially fitting, and I enjoyed reading it again. I hope you enjoy it too.


Be well, and stay safe, my friends.

12 comments:

Cathy Smith said...

Have a safe trip home! Yes, always comforting to be back on your own dung heap when the world has gone crazy.

Connie Wolfe said...

Heading for home where the freezer and pantry are full is a good idea, but, do you have a stock of toilet paper? I enjoyed the garden poem. Safe travels.
Connie

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I think you are smart to head home - safe travels.

Linda said...

Wow on the snow! Looking forward to seeing your last two gold rush towns.
That eighth snowflake looks a little more detailed. Now that it's March, I think I should get started on mine. ;)
I wondered if you would continue your journey. It has been a really good one from my perspective, but I'm kind of glad you are headed home.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I was wondering this morning if you might not head home early--and am glad to hear that you are--from my reading of blog sites this is a serious illness and spreads quickly--! and I live with at least 160 some other seniors and have lunch in a community dinning room (which I have to pay for whether I eat there or not) I plan to go down tomorrow for lunch it being St Patty's day--but don't know that I will go down again for awhile-or will go and get it to go--it will be hard --I enjoy being with others at lunchtime now after doing it for the last 6 months--but?? I do have a nice stock of food here and have toilet paper for the next month-so am good to go for now!!! so lots of sewing will get done--in fact this morning I sewed up a pair of kitchen curtains for over my sink (though there is no window there!!)
luv, di safe travels home

Julierose said...

bEAUTIFUL SNOWFLAKE WORK!
I don't blame you for wanting to get home...
We are hunkered down here--wish we had gotten an x-tra freezer--but it is what it is and we will do ok...staying close here as hubs is 81 and I am 76--in the prime zone they say!!hugs for a safe journey...Julierose

Nancy said...

I am sure heading home is the right choice. Gov Brown was asked today if she plans to close the border and so far she is says ‘not yet’. I am not sure if she can do that to the interstate but she could put up a check point and screen people. Stay safe out there. Have a safe journey. Nancy

SJSM said...

Being home is always a good place to be, especially at times like this. We are part of the Crazy Town you refer to, I think. The whole SF Bay Area went on "Shelter in Place" at midnight. No leaving your home except for groceries and medical needs. Covid 19 is making its mark. We can go for a walk with those you live with but cannot approach others within 6 ft. The health department wants you to be inside as much as possible and isolated from all but those you share a roof.

Get home and avoid others as much as possible along the way. Especially in large population centers. More rural areas are just beginning to get this.

Teri Russell said...

Heading for home sounds like a good idea. As the saying goes: There's no place like home." Safe travels. Looking forwaard to seeing the next snowflake.

piecefulwendy said...

We are home, after driving through many states the last three days. The whole trip was a bit surreal as we watched this pandemic unfold. We've been very diligent about washing and sanitizing, but the eating and sleeping was getting a bit worrisome, to be honest. I'm glad we are home and we are ready to self-isolate. We should be okay with supplies and food for now. Will deal with acquisition of things later! Safe travels as you head home!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Such beautiful embroidering, Barbara. I can see those beads, so delicate. Meanwhile, yes home is the safest place to be these days. We are in week 3 of self isolating and doing well. Apparently we are starting to flatten the curve here in Canada which is important.
Safe travels to your front door.

Patty said...

Pretty. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.