1/12/20

Leisurely Day

We've been relaxing during our time here in Death Valley, for the most part. It's a little too chilly to be outside much, although the bright sunshine is good for the soul, even seen from within the RV. And it's pretty much business as usual. I've been working away on Mulligan Stew. When I said I would work on it for one week, I had to redefine what constituted "working" on it. When it goes days with no action, the days don't count. I'd say I've given it four days of work since I switched back to it a while ago. I'll give it a few more days before switching back to the snowflake blocks. 

Also, I noticed Crabapple Hill Studios has promised another project for National Embroidery Month in February. Last year's project was so much fun, I expect to participate this year too. Since I'm attending Road to California this year, I should be able to find all the supplies I need to get started while I'm there.

Since y'all get all weird, nervous, and thirsty when you don't see the kitties for a few days, I uploaded a couple of pictures of them. Here, Smitty is helping me with my slow-stitching. I had another picture of him wussing out on his only walk since we've been here. He begged me not to post it. He's afraid Molly and Buddy will have a good laugh at his expense.


I tried to get Sadie to show us her pretty face, but she gets tired of the pawpawrazzi following her around all the time. Such beauty is a burden. I did manage to get her just before she hid herself away in the cubbyhole on my side of the bed. Like Greta Garbo, she wants to be alone.


For today's throwback Thursday (not on Thursday), I'm taking you back to a post from February 12, 2016, when we took a little driving tour. We happened upon Death Valley during a big "superbloom," which is always a treasured experience here in Death Valley. We visited some of the more commonly-visited sites in the park, but the main draw was the flowers. Please enjoy.




We were told that the best place to see wildflowers was on the drive out to Badwater, and the trip did not disappoint.


It was a warm day with temperatures in the high 80's, but there was a breeze that kept things comfortable. Just FYI, there was a sign that listed some average temperatures in the park.



It's not a place one wants to visit in the heat of summer, although there are those who actually run ultramarathons here in July. Don't look for me to be signing up.

There were a couple of signs that explain the area and talk about the heat.


Bad water is the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere.


This seemed like a great place for some selfie action. I've marked behind us where the sign indicates sea level.


In the other direction is Telescope Peak, which is the highest peak in Death Valley.


There is only just a little bit of water at Badwater. It isn't poisonous, but very salty.


In our many visits to Death Valley, we've seen the Badwater Pool before. It always looks just the same: no larger, no smaller.


Signs request that visitors stay off the fragile salt deposits, but it is possible to walk out into the valley quite a distance.


The rugged salt crust stretches on for miles, nearly covering the valley floor.


Here's a panorama of the area. Remember that you can make the image larger by clicking on it.


As we walked back, I noticed the green shoots covering the hillside.


We started heading back the other direction, and pulled off the road where I was able to get some more pictures of the flowers.


According to a video podcast published by the National Park Service, it appears we are in the middle of a rare "super bloom". Many thanks to my friend Lisa for sharing this short video with me. If you can't see the video, click right here. It's worth a watch.



We started planning this trip to Death Valley back in June of 2015, and we had no way to anticipate what the weather between then and now would bring. I mention this because it is completely by happy accident that we find ourselves here at this time to witness this rare event.



It will continue probably through the end of March, and a month from now, it may look completely different as new flowers make an appearance. From yesterday, these were some of the ones we saw. This first one was different from those I'd seen in the campground. I wasn't able to identify it from my wildflower book. Maybe one of you knows what it is. If you look carefully, you might notice that there are also some buds of a yellow flower that has not yet opened.


I saw them when we took a short hike a little farther down the road. This is known as yellow peppergrass.


Growing in the greatest abundance are the Desert Sunflowers.



I believe these are the brown-eyed primrose, but it's hard to say for sure.


These were identified in my post from yesterday, and I believe they are the Notch-leaf Phacelia.


This was another one that was new to me. I believe it to be the Gravel Ghost, but don't bet on it.


Finally, there was this little button of a flower, and this is the Mojave Pincushion.


After that, we took the Artist's Drive to the Artist's Palette Hike, which is just a short hike through a wash. The landscape here is unbelievable. The colors don't even look real.


This sign gives some idea of the chemical composition of the landscape and accounts for some of the colors.




So that was our day exploring Death Valley, and we were hungry by that time. Just across the road from the campground is a new little village just getting started by the indigenous people who were the original inhabitants of this area.


They were serving up "Indian Tacos", Indian fry bread (a personal favorite) and shaved ice. Mike had a taco, and I had my fry bread with honey. Yum. Such a treat.


I was having trouble sleeping, and so I'm up in the middle of the night editing my pictures and writing this blog post. I'm just about to go back to bed and try to get a little more sleep. In the morning we'll be packing up for the trip home. We're heading up the eastern side of the Sierra Nevadas, which is a beautifully scenic drive. By day's end, we should be in Carson City, Nevada.

* * * * *

And now we're back in the present day. We've paid for one more night here in Death Valley, and we still don't know whether we'll stay a few more days or move south tomorrow. Joshua Tree is in our future, but we have three days unaccounted for between now and then.

7 comments:

Julierose said...

Somehow it's amazing that such lovely flowers bloom in Death Valley--and that Artists' Palette spot is simply gorgeous--it must be breathtaking in person...
Last night I was up, too; we're having heavy gusting winds and pouring rains...and a foggy 55 degrees here in January no less when the normal temps are @ 34 or so..--hello global warming...
So enjoying your travelogues hugs, Julierose

kauanoeanuhea said...

I enjoy your blog so much Barbara, especially about Sadie and Smitty. I have three of those little darlings (K.C., Tabitha, and Pattycake). I see that you will be at road to california. I will be there also along with three friends. Are you there for the entire time? I will be there thru the whole time (traveling there with three friends; we are coming from Hawaii). I hope that I will "bump" into you sometime! I am taking two classes (Wed evening and Thursday all day). Will be wandering the vendors and displays on Friday and Saturday.

crazy quilter said...

Keep up the great work on Muligan stew it will be complete in no time! And keep on having fun and relaxing.

kc said...

wow, such beauty, but it sure is fleeting! I can't imagine salt flats like that - we were gonna visit some, but just didn't get around to it. soooo much to see and do, and so little time! I was thirsty for the kitties, thanks for including them. Tho, now I'm dying to see what made Smitty wuss out - would love to have photographic evidence...I promise, no judgment.

That Artist's Palette place looks amazing - must be even more so in person.

piecefulwendy said...

What a fun post to read through - all that pretty color. I cannot imagine running a race in that heat?! If you haven't been to Joshua Tree (I suspect you probably have) - don't miss the sunset views! They are spectacular. A visit to the Palm Springs Aerial Tram is worth the ride for the views, if you're in that part of the area.

Stitches said...

I loved seeing all the flowers that can thrive in Death Valley. They are just beautiful!! And, of course, I enjoy reading and traveling along with you on your trips..thanks for all of your blog postings..

Lyndsey said...

What an amazing phenomena. I loved seeing the flowers and the colours