12/28/19

Back for Another

There's no keeping a good blogger down...and I'm using the word "good" loosely here. As I've mentioned so many times, my head gets full of words, and then I fear my skull will explode, and so I must write it all down. Thank you for listening.

Actually, the packing I've so dreaded for weeks is going much more easily than anticipated. I'm using what I've begun to call the McKenna Ryan system of completing dreaded tasks: One step at a time. Do not look ahead or back. Focusing on the present task keeps stress, worry, and regret at bay. Why McKenna Ryan? Have you ever made one of her quilts? Because I have.


Enough said.

Today I have one more refrigerator to empty out, clean, and turn off. I'm embarrassed to say we have three refrigerators. This refrigerator collection of ours started out innocently enough. There was a refrigerator here when we moved in, and we brought another from our previous home. So...one refrigerator in the kitchen, and we put ours in the laundry room, which is just off the kitchen. I've always used it like a refrigerated pantry.

Then, I hated the refrigerator in the kitchen because it was too small, and it was a side-by-side (which was invented by the devil, I'm sure). The freezer was approximately three inches wide...just barely wide enough for me to fit my hand through the door. So, one Christmas Mike bought the refrigerator of my dreams...one of those ones with French doors and the freezer on the bottom. It replaced the hated side-by-side in the kitchen, and the kitchen refrigerator was moved out to the garage. Mike kept cold beverages in it for when he was out working in the yard.

And then, we remodeled our kitchen, which meant a different refrigerator because we wanted it to match the rest of the stainless steel appliances. (I was willing to keep the old one, but Mike was the one who insisted that it match the rest.) So the refrigerator with the French doors got moved to the garage, where the original refrigerator had stopped working by that time. And there you go. It's a little like starting new projects in the sewing room. It starts out innocently enough, and then before you know it, you're like me...with 25 WIP's on your list, even after you've finished 32 quilts in a single year. If you've enjoyed this journey through the refrigerators of time, then I thank you for your service. Only a true friend would read this far.

So in between packing and cleaning, I've been working away at the first Snowflake. Like slow-stitching crack, it's honestly been difficult to put it down. I can't wait to get to the beading part.


This is where I left off this morning. I just need to finish those swirly-cues around the outer edge, and then I'll add a tiny ice blue pearl where each little circle appears.

So that's pretty much where it's been the past couple of days: packing, cleaning, slow-stitching. More today, and then we're out of here in the morning. And honestly, I really, really, really am not going to post tomorrow or the next day. We'll be on the road, and I'm meeting up with a friend in Medford for breakfast on Monday morning. The soonest I'll be back will be Tuesday, and then only if we have internet access. It'll be good to be on our way. We're hoping good weather continues because it can be dicey getting through the Siskiyous. Fingers crossed.

25 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh good luck with the weather---
We have a French Door/freezer on bottom and it is wonderful I just
love it--we got it last summer when the old side by side broke down (at long last lol)
Love that snowflake--very pretty hugs, Julierose P.S. Stay safe on your journey...

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I think those snowflake blocks are going to truly be beautiful and it sounds like you will be enjoying stitching them and making them all fancy--
Have a great safe and fun start to your trip--
will miss you the next couple days--
luv, di

Katie said...

If we did not have family who cannot seem go get their "stuff" together, we too might have 3 refrigerators. Or dryers. Or stoves. But thankfully, we have family that will take our extra appliances. And cash, if you're foolish enough to fall into that trap... But I digress. The snowflake is beautiful and I can see how it might become crack-like to work on it. However, I never seem to feel motivated to sit down and do hand sewing of any kind. Binding must be rewarded with a favorite show on Netflix. But perhaps I should make it a 2020 goal? Hmmm... Safe travels!

gpc said...

I have three-refrgerator-envy. I only have one, and it is one of those devil contraptions with a freezer not wide enough to hold a pie. I am in the market for a new one, and probably a freezer instead of another refrigerator, but anything could happen. Yes to the french doors on top and pull our drawer freezer, although our little built in cubby for the appliance will limit our choices. I was going to put the back up frige/freezer in the garage, but not that there is a charging station and two cars there, I am no longer sure where one would fit. Spoiled first world problems.

Cathy said...

Have a wonderful and safe journey! I always love your travel posts. We’ll all be here when you have internet access and can write to is from the road. Or the parks. Isn’t it just so fun to have us all tagging along?! Ha!

Christine said...

Another three fridge owner who thoroughly enjoyed your story and stayed till the end!
Looking forward to your journey, will dig out my map so's I can follow you....
Have a safe journey.
Xxxxxxx

piecefulwendy said...

I hope your weather holds. Those snowflakes are really very pretty. We have one fridge and a small deep freeze, but I'm ending up with sewing machines. I was just gifted my husband's grandmother's antique treadle. I love it, and it still works -- now just to find room for it!

Lyndsey said...

I'm a one fridge owner but liked your story and your style.I'm very jealous of the double door fridges but there just isn't room in our kitchen and we don't have a garage. Pleased to hear the packing is going well and I'm keeping everything crossed that the weather stays good for the start of the trip. If you could not take too long before your next post as I have chores and stitching I want to do which will be impossible with everything crossed

Karrin Hurd said...


Beautiful stitching on the snowflake. Have a great trip!

Angela said...

Your snowflake is gorgeous!

Deb said...

I love your snowflake its do delicate. Have safe travels and hope the weather holds out for you.

sirsumcorda said...

The stitching on your snowflake is beautiful. Wishing you safe travels. Can't wait to ride along.

CA Bobbie said...

Like some others I don't have room for a french door refrig-I have no idea what I'll replace mine with when it's time...............
I love your style though. I have such a "collector" streak that I just have to stay away form the sales- hard from mid Nov til end of Dec! Have safe journeys and I'll be here to follow you.

CathieJ said...

I like your refrigerator story. We all have some version of it in our lives. I really like that snowflake. I am looking forward to seeing it with beads.

Jenny said...

I cant match you with three fridges in the house, but we do havetwo TVs in the caravan!
Happy travels, I like to travel along with you too, I'm from the other side of the world so wherever you go is New and exciting to me!

Alcea Rosea 31 said...

I definitely have fridge envy, we have one small (compared to the average american fridges shown on tv series). The snowflake is so delicate.

Judy1522 said...

I got a good laugh about the Mckenna Ryan system and knew what you meant as soon as I read it although I have never made one of her quilts.
I hope you have a very enjoyable trip.

kc said...

Well, good friend that I am, I read all the way down and through and went through the timeline of fridges! Oh, yes, i totally agree the side by side was invented by the devil. Or, at the very least, a total ignoramus that never tried to use one! I can relate to your McKenna Ryan system too...only I call it the elephant diet. You know, how does one eat an elephant? (never mind the why, I've no answer to that one) One eats an elephant one bite at a time. And we get the projects too...though I've not completed NEARly 10, nevermind 32! Driver asked me today if I was all through sewing now that I had given away 2 flimsies to be quilted by a longarmer here in the park. LOL Had to laugh at him! I named off what I had left (5, 3 of which have yet to be started!!) and he just rolled his eyes. I thought I was gonna sew today, but we spent the morning wandering around the flea market, then came home, dropped off the groceries/produce and pup, then we went driving all over Alamo, Donna and San Juan, looking for a decent (read: not so expensive and still clean!) place to spend next winter. Still looking. Tomorrow we dance, Tuesday we prepare for New Year's party, Wed, since everything will be closed, maybe then I get to sew.

Stay well and warm - have a happy and safe new year!!

Dorothy said...

So am I the one only one in the world that loves a side X side? But then mine does not have water/ice in the freezer door so maybe I have more room? Water/ice in the door tastes horrible to me, so I never wanted that. Now at the end of 2019 do you know how hard it is to find a 'fridge without that option? It was very hard 15 years ago--now impossible. So Barbara, did you think you would get this much reaction about refrigerators? Have a safe trip no matter how many refrigerators you have :-) Love you and the blog

Mary Corbet said...

Oh wow! Your progress on the snowflake is perfect! I'm glad you're enjoying it. I love it when I'm working on a project that I don't want to put down, so I'm glad you hear you're having the same experience! :-) The beads are so fun!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

We have 2 refrigerators. I also have a deep freezer next to the fridge in the laundry room. Our house came with a side by side (yes, useless, we only put condiments in it).

Michelle said...

I want three refrigerators! I've got one, with that pull out freezer drawer that I hate with a seething passion (it's actually better than the previous one, which had wire drawers that everything slid though, but it's still not functional for our family)

Kate said...

Glad the trip prep is going smoother then you anticipated. Love that snowflake. I ended up buying the book with those patterns. Not sure when I actually have a chance to make a go of them. Have a great New Year!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Barbara, I am now caught up on your latest posts. I read your Year in review post with great interest and in awe of what you accomplished. All those beautiful pieces from your flying fingers. I especially enjoyed seeing the ones that combine embroidery with patchwork, a special love of mine. So Kudos to you!
We have 2 and a half fridges...well one is a stand up freezer. Your snowflake is another beauty.
May 2020 be your most marvelous year yet and I will enjoy seeing what you are up to!

Brown Family said...

Our fridge of 20something years gave up the ghost about 9 months after the dishwasher retired/ So we had to replace them both! Within the next 6 months, the 25 almost 26 year old stove refused to bake anything! So I got all new appliances this year on top of a new sewing machine and a water heater!

No one in the family ask me what I wanted for Christmas because I seemed to have already gotten it!