11/27/19

An Unexpected Free Day

As I was walking out the door yesterday, heading for my monthly pedicure, I noticed a text message alert on my phone. As it turns out my nail technician had a medical emergency, and was trying to reschedule. So that was off the calendar. And with my grocery shopping already done, and my calendar cleared for said pedicure and grocery shopping trip, what could I do but spend the day sewing? Practically a tragedy, right? Oh yes, and my nail tech contacted me later in the day to say she was fine, so all is well with her too.

Before all the excitement and calendar clearing, I turned the third corner on It's Raining Cats and Dogs.


When I get going on it this morning, I expect I'll finish it off. That will feel good after so much time...nearly six full years.

Upon learning I was going nowhere fast, I headed into the sewing room and got back to work on the Hearts A-Plenty. For yesterday's effort, I added the third row of hearts.


As I've been working on this, I've been going back and forth about how to finish it off. Border? No border? Skinny border, and then a wide border? No border and a flange? Binding only? As I've toyed with each of these ideas, I've spent time perusing my stash to see what makes the most sense. Finally, I've settled on binding only. I thought about just solid black, but then chose the black and white polka dot you see on the left in the image below.


I love a fun binding.

So that was enough paper-piecing for one day. Since I'm expecting to finish off the hand-stitching on the binding today, it seemed like a good idea to trace out the next block for the Appalachian Memories quilt. This is Block #8 of 12, and it is called "West Virginia Star."


The stitching won't start until the binding is finished, but it's hooped up and ready to go...like having money in the bank.


The kitties were nowhere to be seen yesterday. They thought I was going to be gone most of the day, and so they'd scheduled an all-day nap in the clubhouse. They continued on with their plans despite the change to mine.

So it's going to get a little busier today. I'll spend some time stitching the binding, but then I need to get to work preparing for our holiday feast tomorrow. We're doing two turkeys. One will be brined and smoked and one will be deep fried. Mike and I wrestled one of the turkeys into a big bucket this morning and now it will brine overnight for smoking tomorrow. Yesterday, I made our fresh cranberry sauce and a couple of appetizers. Today I'll make two of the side dishes. On Thanksgiving I'll still need to make stuffing, mashed potatoes, and one other side dish. Oh yes, and don't forget to set the table. Often, I forget about this until late in the day, and it takes a while to get all the good china and silverware out. And I suppose I should clean the place up a little bit too.

With all that going on, I doubt there will be much time for sewing. I'm still hoping to have the hearts all sewn together no later than Friday.

What's on the menu at your house?

5 comments:

Julierose said...

Great choice of binding--I often use B&W for bindings...this Heart quilt looks great with it...
Happy Turkey Feast to you and yours...
my cleaning is almost all done...so resting afternoon for me...
My two children and their families will arrive around noon tomorrow each bringing a casserole and pies...the rest is up to us...trying out a new butternut squash recipe in my slo-cooker...hugs, Julierose

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

First I will have lunch down in the dinning room-turkey, of course--then later in the day I will be cooking a small turkey breast roll, mashed potatoes,peas and stuffing--for my son who will probably show up around 5-6pm to eat--
I just used my new convection oven today for the first time and baked biscuits and corn bread for the stuffing tomorrow--that was an adventure!!
and doing lots of hand work on Christmas gifts in between--
so I stay busy--that's for sure!!!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and Hubbs, and the disappearing kitties!!!!
luv, di

Barbara said...

On the menu at my house? Nothing. For several years now I've spent Thanksgiving with friends at the racetrack. A nice buffet and a day of racing. What's not to like about that? And we each leave with a free pie courtesy of the Jockey Club. Only problem is no leftovers for the weekend.

piecefulwendy said...

We will head over to John's family for the main meal. So we're bringing dessert. John's making a pie and I'm making a chocolate torte. Should be a fun day. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

quiltzyx said...

All of your stitching is going along apace! Looking forward to seeing the latest barn in progress.

I went to my friends' house in Pasadena for T'giving. We had brined, oven roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy sweet potatoes, corn pudding, green bean casserole, brussel sprouts, whole cranberry sauce, and celery stuffed with cream cheese & cashews. Desert was a pumpkin cheesecake with cinnamon whipped cream & caramelized apple pie with ice cream. We took our time eating and had a lot of fun. Terri even sent me home with some leftovers, so I had a turkey sandwich yesterday!
Hope your day was the same!!