10/22/19

Turning A Corner

The grocery store was a zoo yesterday. I broke my rule of never shopping on Monday...mainly because I'd procrastinated. The no-shopping-on-Monday is only the second rule on the list. Number one on the list is never to shop on the weekend. The parking lot was full, and the aisles were all stacked with boxes as the store was restocked following the weekend rush. Somehow we all survived the trip, although I can't say anything about what happened after I left the store.

So, anyway, it was nice to get back to the sewing machine and sew the binding on the Wine Country quilt. I did this under the watchful eye of Himself. He's very picky about how bindings are sewn on.


The binding was already prepared, and so this went pretty quickly. I really love that red.


While we were downstairs, Sadie was engaged in a "While-the-cat's-away" demonstration by sitting on the top rung of the kitty pole. Usually this is Smitty's undisputed territory, but sometimes she's bold about taking over and asserting herself as Top Cat. She dares anyone to challenge her on this.


There was just a little time left for hand sewing, and I was able to turn the first corner when I needed to stop and make dinner.


After dinner, I had enough time to extend the hand sewing nearly to the next corner.


So that's where I'll devote my sewing time today. Also, I'll be washing the fabrics you see below.


These are most of the fabrics I'm using to make a quilt for a dear friend from high school. Andy is a Marine Corps veteran, and some time ago he asked me if I could make a quilt for him with the Marine Corps emblem. Having grown up a Marine Corps brat, I was happy to say yes to my friend. There is still a backing fabric coming, and there will also be a white that I'll pull from my stash.

I've mentioned this quilt before, and now seems as good a time as any to say more about it. As I was thinking about this quilt, I scanned Pinterest looking for something appropriate. I wanted to make something nice, but I didn't want to start something that would take a lot of time. In preparation, I purchased this panel from an Etsy shop:


My thinking was that I could surround it with some quilt blocks and borders. I only needed to decide on the configuration. The panel will need to be sewn together since all the pieces are separate. In my wanderings, I realized the panel is the exact size of the center panel from the "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" quilt I made several years ago. It lives on our guest room bed these days.


It's essentially a panel with 17 borders, and I'll be using the fabrics above to recreate it in a different theme. In place of the pieced tulips, I'll be making Friendship stars--92 in all. The flag fabric will go where the tulip fabric is, and the rest will be a series of red, white, blue, and gray borders. The plan is to work on it from start to finish, and so I'm hoping to finish the quilt top before the end of November.

So that will keep me busy for a while. Today I'll spend my time finishing off Wine Country. Also, I'm hoping to try out a new recipe that caught my eye. More on that later.

12 comments:

Julierose said...

I like that Marine panel--it should be just lovely set with those borders...
Do you wash all your fabrics before using them? I used to, but haven't kept up with it lately....hugs, Julierose

Vicki W said...

The Marine quilt is going to be awesome!

Quilting Babcia said...

So nice of you to make this special quilt for your Marine Corps friend. Love that tulip quilt and the pillowcases too! In not sure which of us hates grocery shopping more.

kc said...

I only like the produce aisles, and even then, only if they're fully stocked, orderly and pretty. Driver, on the other hand, likes to walk every. Single. Aisle. Every time. And he wanders off, always with the buggy! So frustrating.
Good thing kitties are so helpful, how would you ever get everything done without em

Kate said...

I feel your pain with the grocery shopping. That's one of My Guy's duties, which since he can't drive for three weeks I've had to take on. I'd forgotten how much I really don't like grocery shopping. Looking forward to seeing the end of your Wine quilt and the beginning of your friend's quilt.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

We have a nice little grocery just up the road now - I hate the big ones. What a grand new quilt to start.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

That is a great Marine panel! Your cats crack me up. I have mostly only ever had dogs. Your posts make me realize that there is a hierarchy in the cat world too. Grocery shopping? Never a good day for it. Either our stores don't stock enough, or don't have enough employees to keep the shelves filled. I can't continue because I just have too much to say, lol.
xx, Carol

bcarlf said...

I have a thing for your quilt inspectors. They are always right on the job. How lucky you are to have them! I love the idea of your Marine quilt. The tulip quilt is just beautiful, and I can envision the Marine quilt being built similarly.

All that embroidery is just beautiful. I have not done any, though I am thinking about it, and I can not imagine having enough to put into a quilt. Congratulations on all your beautiful finishes!

Natureluvr57 said...

That panel was quite the find! I can envision the borders with some kind of pieced stars or easier would be flying geese all around. I remind everyone in my house that I'm retired so Friday through Monday is my "whatever I feel like doing" days. It appears rules are made to be broken. I will be taking Mom to the doctor several times on Friday-cataract surgery check ups, etc. When I worked second shift I would stop at the mall or wherever on the way to work and thought it will be so nice to retire and shop through the week but now that I'm retired.....the streets are a mad house no matter what time of day it is. Does anyone work anymore? Everyone can't be on 2nd or 3rd shift. Mondays-people are mad they have to go to work (those who do)...Fridays-people are in a rush to begin their weekend so I try to avoid driving those two days most of all. Enjoy your cats and crafting.

QuiltGranma said...

So nice to see what others do with panels rather than what too many do is just quilt them with out adding anything personal to it. You did a fantastic job. I imagine what you do for that vet will also be wonderful, personal and great.

quiltzyx said...

That is a very cool panel to start your friend's quilt with. I think that Friendship Stars will be the perfect addition for a pieced border. I'm looking forward to watching your progress on this one.
Grocery stores...ugh! I honestly cannot remember the last time I went into a "regular" grocery store. I really need to at least stop at Smart & Final soon - been eating waaaay too much take out lately.

piecefulwendy said...

What a great idea for a quilt for your friend. I can see you enjoying creating the quilt and will look forward to seeing your progress. The kitties are looking good, and feisty. :-)