10/19/19

Looks Like January

There are still many weeks to get through until January...not to mention several holidays...but you'd never know it to look outside our windows here in the Pacific Northwest. Geez. It has been dark and gloomy for a week. We're expecting better weather next week, but sheesh. I guess it's Mother Nature's way of saying...get ready. It's coming.

Sadie doesn't mind. She's hard at work on her stitching cat job.


Thanks to her hard work, I finished up January's heart this morning.


You might recall that I met the designer of the Hearts online recently. Her name is Nancy Buck Huggins, and she's been hard at work getting these patterns uploaded to her Etsy shop. If you're interested in these, take a look. She calls her shop Basket Case Needlework.

Tomorrow I'll get a start on February's heart. This will be the 11th of 12, and so these are coming to a close.


Back on the quilting front, I've convinced Sadie to sleep on the chair beside me while I quilt...for now, at least.


Another row of blocks was quilted yesterday, but not without a lot of fussing and fuming over skipped stitches. At first, I blamed the unevenly wound bobbin I was using. I kept going and then rewound the bobbin, evenly this time. It made no difference whatsoever. I still was having a massive problem with skipped stitches. On my sample piece, you can see how it skipped around ten stitches before catching the bottom thread again.


Checking the trouble-shooting portion of the machine's manual, it suggested an old or blunt needle might be to blame. That sounded about right since I didn't change the needle between quilts. So I put in a new needle, in the size I'd been using (100/16) and that was no help. [Mad face.] Then I tried putting in a 100/18 needle. That didn't help either. Then I tried rethreading several times. No help. Okay, so I tried rethreading the bobbin several times. Nothing changed. Then, I adjusted the tension to extremes in both directions. Even when the tension was looking good, I was still getting skipped stitches. I cleaned everything, oiled everything. By then, I was down to wondering if it was because I was coming to the end of a spool. You can see the spool was getting low on thread.


Still, when I pressed my thumbnail through to the spool inside, there was still quite a lot of thread left.

At that point, I considered the ultimate solution of throwing the machine out the window to see if that helped. Think of it as the big "Reset" option. Then, I realized there was a new spool of the identical thread in the mailbox, and so I waited until Mike came home with the day's mail to see if a new spool might solve the problem. When I had it in my hands, I loaded it onto the machine...


And voila! Problem solved.


Isn't quilting fun?

Okay, well I'm glad to be starting a new day with a new spool of thread and a significantly improved attitude. There is one row of blocks remaining, and then there is also the border. Free motion quilting always makes my left wrist hurt, and so I might take a day off. Mike and I need to make a trip to the post office to pick up a couple of undelivered parcels. [Insert rant here about the crappy mail delivery service we have in our area.] Actually, only one of us needs to go, but I figure I'll ride along just to be companionable.

When I came upstairs to write this post, I left Sadie snuggled up in a flannel quilt. Just so you know, she doesn't sleep all the time.


Sometimes she hangs out in the bathroom because mice are getting into the electric heater in there. Who knows how they're getting in, but we know they're there when we see the kitties doing this:


Come rain or shine, there's always an adventure here at the Three Cats Ranch. What we really need is another cat.

15 comments:

Tish R said...

Heheh...sounds my solution to reset too. Your embroidery looks wonderful. So where is Mr. Smitty? Is he letting Sadie take the lead on mouse stalking?

Frog Quilter said...

Your post gave me a few chuckles. I share the machine reset option. I’m glad all is well now. Have a good weekend. I’m going back to my machine now for a few more adventures.

Kate said...

Glad you didn't have to resort to the extreme machine reset option, that one gets expensive!

Quilting Babcia said...

Sadie's waiting for the perfect roast mousie, hehe!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Ah, that close to the end spool thread - that's why I stash those babies away for handwork as they are crinkled and work poorly on the machine. Good thing you had that new spool on the way as I would hate to hear you went out the window with the machine. I put the heavy sherpa backed wool quilt on the quest bed and that is where my two furries are residing most days and nights.

Christine said...

I tell my machine that I am going to buy a new one. Seriously. Doesn't matter which machine it is....then start looking up photos and deets..... they soon start working properly!

Louise said...

Very interesting that the culprit was that the thread was near end of the spool. Sharon's theory that the thread is crinkled makes sense. Flat spots might catch in the delicate dance of fast needle and spinning bobbin. I'll have to remember that. I know that certain colors will give my machine fits. I think the dye in some of the darker colors actually weakens the thread and makes it easier to break.

piecefulwendy said...

Well, man. The weather is stinky and then you have to deal with a cranky machine because the thread spool is too low. Who knew? At least you had the persistence to figure it out. I probably would've walked away. Haha. It is that time of year for mice to be getting into places they shouldn't be. Glad Sadie is on the watch!

Angela said...

Love the hand embroidery!

Sarah said...

Nice little embroideries! I've had those sorts of issues before and done everything you did with your machine but never realised it could be because the thread was getting low. But I do applaud your persistence!

Miaismine said...

Thank you so much for sharing your exploits (and Kitty's) so creatively! It was a joy to read your post!

quiltzyx said...

Another too cute heart! Those snowmen mittens make me smile.

I don't know that I would have ever thought of the near empty spool as being the culprit of the missed stitches. I will have to remember that if I ever start sewing again.

Mice in the heater - oh my! It even looks like there are two, beady red eyes looking out! YiKes!

Saturday was my guild's Boutique & quilt show. I hadn't signed up for any jobs, but ended up helping out all day anyway. I did a rough add of the cash at the end of the day & it looks like we did quite well. :)
Our very creative members donated all the wares - I bought several gifts. One is a tool holder (for hot glue gun, etc.), a pumpkin towel, and 2 bead necklaces, one for me & one for my niece. They have regular & paper beads in them. I think we did well on our opportunity quilt ticket sales too. And at the end of the day a gentleman came in with an antique quilt to show us. I think he is either affiliated with the church or with the Claremont Colleges. He was interested in getting the quilt appraised & possibly selling it to someone who could care for it properly. I believe it was from the 1800s!

Little Penpen said...

Sadie is doing a great job as a stitching cat. Your embroideries are cute!!

Della said...

Pictures of your kitties make me miss mine more that ever. A trip to the Pound is inevitable, the only problem I for see is too many cats to choose from. Not sure if I will get a kitten or an adult that really needs a good home. Kudos to you for sticking with your machine and finding the problem. I would have given up very early, which I why I leave the quilting of my quilts to others, unless I do hand quilting.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I smiled at the pic of the kitty in front of the heater. Our home is built on a crawl space and get mice under the bathtub and the outer wall. My dogs sniff around and can't figure out how they are there. We have places we put Tomcat that controls the situation. Mice and bird feeders just go together I guess. I always admire your handwork. Now that my Carpal Tunnel almost a thing of the past I will start to stitch witchville...since I can't for the life of me think of the name of the series. Old age creeps in when you least expect it.
xx, Carol