10/18/19

Halfway

Yesterday's quilting effort went so much more smoothly after adjusting the bobbin tension the day before. Amazing what remembering all the steps in a process can do for you. I continued on with the quilting as the day before...vineyards in the embroidered blocks, grapevines in the borders and sashings. By day's end, I had another row of blocks finished. I took the quilt downstairs and laid it on the floor in front of the living room windows where I have the best light for this kind of shot. Here's how it's looking.


I'm liking it better now that I have more done. Here's how it looks from the back, although the quilting is difficult to see there.


Here's a closer look.


The only problems I had with quilting yesterday were the occasional moments of drag.


And it looks to me as if Sadie is claiming this quilt for her own.


The only other sewing I did yesterday was continuing on with the January heart. I'd have this farther along, except I took out all the green stitching I'd done and started over with a new color. Here's how it looks now.


It's rare for me to remove embroidery stitching, but my green was so dark it was indistinguishable from the black, and so it seemed a lighter color was in order. This one probably has a couple of more days of stitching before it's finished.

Today I'll continue on quilting the Wine Country quilt. I'm on track to have the quilting finished at the end of the day tomorrow. Our weather has been wet, dark, and cold. It's perfect weather for staying inside and sewing.

10 comments:

Debbie said...

I like the texture you are getting in the blocks with the "fan" quilting for the hills. The grapes and vines looks fabulous. Good job on it. Yes, the nexts on back is from tension.....I first check to make sure the top thread is seated in the disk and then re-do the bobbin. Lint is your worst enemy and will throw it off in a heart beat.

Julierose said...

Lovely quilting on your Wine piece--turned out beautifully..hugs, Julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

Wine Country is really looking great, with so much texture happening. Your choice if modified fan for the blocks was a stroke of genius.

WoolenSails said...

The quilting is beautiful and really sets off the quilt.
I need to get on my machine and figure out the tension and start working on tops.

Debbie

kc said...

My gosh, leave you alone for a few days and look at what all you get done! Looks like I need to go back and see it all!!! That's the cutest drag queen you've got there! Would send you some of this sun if I could. It was even warm enough I could get in the pool today. I only lasted about 15 minutes, but that's the longest time yet! And, of course, I jumped in the hot tub right after, to warm back up. We pack up today, Sat, to head to Tucson for a week on Sunday. Gonna get our floor crack fixed. We might have overloaded it with the square dancing... Just maybe. I know at one point, we had 6 people in the bathroom. I put my sewing machine in the shop, so it should be ready when we get back. Needless to say, I got an order I couldn't fill and I'm already suffering withdrawal. It's been 2 days gone already.

Louise said...

The "vineyard" furrows quilting is brilliant on this piece! I'm loving all the texture you're bringing to this one. Love that wine bottle fabric on the back, too :)

piecefulwendy said...

While you've been stitching away at your wine quilt, I've been holding up my end by drinking wine :-) and I enjoyed every minute! We are back home now, so hopefully some sewing this afternoon. I might need a nap first. I like the new green in the embroidery. It really brightens up the piece!

Kate said...

The quilting looks great. You've been moving along on both the machine and hand stitchery fronts.

quiltzyx said...

Hah! "Dark, wet & cold" - it was 96 on Thursday here. Ugh. Cooling down about down 20 degrees Friday & pretty nice over the weekend. The quilt is looking good, especially with the beautiful models posing on it.

QuiltGranma said...

looks like the kitties are challenging each other who can be the best Drag queen!