10/8/19

Coming Together

The weekend left me weary, and it took me quite a while to get moving yesterday morning. Even after I found my way off the couch, I ended up back there again for an afternoon nap. Some days just go that way. Still, I was energized and encouraged by my kitty friends who helped me work out a strategy for getting the Sundress quilt top finished. First, we had a huddle about where to begin.


Sadie was feeling a little stand-offish about having her picture taken yesterday.


With such serious sewing ahead, there was no time for glamour.


Smitty certainly had to agree. With the afternoon waning, it was time to get busy.


On his recommendation, we started by making two of the final four Dresdens.


With those two ready for top-stitching, we're coming to the tail end of those blocks.


Today I'll finish up the remaining two and then top-stitch the last of them. But I told myself I could start sewing together the rest of the quilt, and so that's what I did. First, I added the borders to the large center panel.


Then I added borders to the small dress blocks. Try not to look at the one that's turned the wrong way in the upper right.


Then I added the spacer strips and started sewing them to the center panel.


The top and bottom rows of dresses were ready to be sewn to the rest when I needed to stop for the day.


I'll probably start there today before continuing on with the Dresdens.

With Sadie being so camera shy yesterday, I tried one last time to get her picture. Nope...nothing doing.

No more pictures today, Mommy.


Today will go pretty much like yesterday, only with the addition of a CSA pick-up this afternoon. If I can finish those Dresdens, I might just be able to finish off the quilt top today. For sure and certain, I should be able to finish it by tomorrow.

12 comments:

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I just love those kitties and how helpful they are with your sewing--that tail one is esp cute!!! And what a pretty quilt those dress blocks are making up--will be watching to see how it comes along--
luv, di

Lyndsey said...

Love the helpful kitties and your borders set of the dress blocks perfectly.

Quilting Babcia said...

Mmm, love the way your sundress quilt is coming along. Some days are just wearying, I came home from quilt ministry today and pretty much vegged out on my recliner for the rest of the afternoon. Lucky for us there were leftovers in the refrigerator.

Julierose said...

I really like how this is coming together...nice work hugs, Julierose

gpc said...

The dress quilt is going to be adorable. You have an eye for cute; this is another pattern that I would never ever have chosen, and then suddenly I love it.

Jenny said...

What a wonderful dress pattern, you must have been stitching all these blocks for a while, I guess. It's going to look stunning when it it completed - looks rather nice at the stage you are at!

bcarlf said...

I love those kitty cats! Did you by any chance notice that the Dresden to the right of the tail has a slightly noticeable Happy Face? I would be so into enhancing it with embroidery, but I suppose that would be another quilt? All your stitching amazes me, not to speak of your cooking and canning and travel and photography. At 80 I would love just some of your energy. Have a happy Day!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Love the dresses! Your kitties are so HELPFUL! My pooches just find their bed and sleep....I mean keep me company...while I do my thing. It's a good day for me if I don't feel like I need a nap in the afternoon. It feels good but such a waste of time, lol.
xx, Carol

piecefulwendy said...

Oh my, your sundress quilt is just too cute. Love that bright yellow sashing!

crazy quilter said...

I truly love these dresses Barbara! This is going to be an outstanding finish...

Kate said...

Those dresses are just so pretty. Love the yellow you are using to set them together. If I don't get Vintage Dresses bound soon, you are going to beat me to a finish.

quiltzyx said...

Some days are just napping kind of days, right? The Sundresses look wonderful all together.

I'm glad that Sadie & Smitty were able to help you so much!