10/2/19

Back to Basics

It was an easy-going day yesterday. I had a few chores on my list, but mostly I relaxed and did what I wanted. First thing in the morning, I finished the first of three of the "I Believe in Snowmen" blocks. I told you these stitch up fast.


There are still two more to stitch before I move on to the next block for Dancing Chickens and Flying Pigs. Yesterday, I finished off the applique portion of Block 4, and now this one is ready for hand embroidery.


Finally, I gulped hard and started making the Dresden blades for the Sundress quilt. These were easy enough.


There are only 214 more to go! Easy peasy, right? With so many to do, I've set up a strategy for finishing them off. There are 12 Dresden blocks in all, and so my goal is to do three per sewing day (making allowances for "non-sewing" days). If I can do that, I should be able to finish them off by the weekend.. And that brings me to my October OMG:


My goal for the month is to sew all the accumulated embroidered blocks, stars, and Dresdens into a finished flimsy. Quilting will come down the road. And since I need a picture to post at the linky party, I'm using this center block. It already has its border attached, so hey! I'm less than halfway there!


After making those two Dresden blades, I needed to get going to pick up the CSA share. When I got home again, Sadie was lounging in the afternoon sun. She claimed the corner office yesterday.


Today could be a non-sewing day. I'm getting my overdue monthly pedicure, and then I simply can't avoid grocery shopping any longer. Mother Hubbard's cupboard is bare, and her refrigerator is empty...except for CSA veggies. I have lots of those. After that, I'll be planting the peony roots I ordered last spring. They arrived in yesterday's mail, and they are weird looking things. I'll say more about them in tomorrow's post. Planting them shouldn't take too long, but who knows if I'll feel energetic enough for sewing after all that.

Whatever the case, there's always slow-stitching, and that's where I'm headed next. Snowman #2 is up.

6 comments:

Beverly said...

Give those peony roots plenty of room to grow and spread. This is advice from someone who did not do that. I am now having to dig them up and rip the clumps apart because they have no room to spread any further. I do love peonies. In the South where I am they bloom around Mother's Day but just don't last long. A rain will shatter the blooms. The ants will be all over them but that is the way it is supposed to be. The ants bring the bloom they say.

Teresa said...

Fun to see your snowman..I think embroidery is really coming back in popularity. I sure enjoy it. Dresden plates are fun blocks to make, will be watching for your plates.

Danice G said...

'Love the Snowman. Dresdens kinda scare be because I am not good at sewing them. Yours are looking really good.

piecefulwendy said...

That's a lot of dresden fan blades! Will be fun to see them come together. I did a little grocery shopping Monday, but I feel a larger shopping day coming. It's been pretty piecemeal lately. Love that center block with those cute dresses!

Kate said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your dresses quilt come together. Dresden plates are a weird block to make, I did my first last year and it took a bit to get them right. Hope yours went smoothly.

Patty said...

Looking forward to seeing the flimsy! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.