9/18/19

Quilt Shop: Cortez Quilt Company, Cortez Colorado

This is the second of two quilt shops we visited in a single day. You can read about the first, Durango Quilt Company, right here. On down the road just a little way was Cortez Quilt Company. Oh my gosh! What a fun shop, and a fun little town. I'd love to come back some time and just walk around more. On this day, I had only the quilt shop on my mind.


Walking through the front door, this is what I saw.


I can't remember what motivated me to save the page for this shop. Possibly I read about it in a magazine or something. Anyway...it was worth the trip to see it.

I fell in love with these pretty fall fabrics. There was a lot of metallic gold in these designs that doesn't show up well in the image, but they were very pretty.


To my right were these western prints. I made a decision to come back to them for my regional print if I didn't see something else.


They had a nice supply of aboriginal prints.


These were pretty...also with metallic gold.


I was wishing I had a use for some of these. They were an ombre print with gold accents. Very pretty.


And just look at this wall of fabric. Oh my goodness...where should I begin? There was something for everybody in this store. Lots of pretty batiks...


Pretty little fabric bundles...


And lots of neutrals. I always take a look at these, looking for something suitable for an embroidery background.


Also, a nice selection of solids...


And extra wide quilt backing fabrics.


Their notions were in a back room along with a table of sale fabrics.


There's my wall of thread. All that color makes me hungry for something sweet. Think of it as sprinkles made of thread.


Here's another new-to-me artist. She's fairly local, living in New Mexico, Her patterns were very tempting.


These patterns were all from J. Michelle Watts. You can find her web presence right here.


But the patterns were only part of the draw here. Look at these gorgeous Navajo fabrics. I decided then and there to choose one for my regional print, but which one? Hmmmm.


And look at these pretty quilts. I was tempted to purchase one of the quilt patterns, but they were actually all made up from solids. I wanted something I could use those Navajo prints in.


Walking on, they had a few Christmas fabrics out. I liked that one on the right.


Here are a few more. Some good binding fabrics there.


Someone gifted me with a panel similar to this one, but these are Christmas cats.


And, oh! Look at this Christmas cat fabric. Oh my. I was sorely tempted.


They had a good supply of my favorite Creative Grids rulers.


Here's a cute pattern. I was tempted by it too. So much temptation...so little willpower.


Here's another cute cat quilt.


There was also a small supply of calicos.


There was a good supply of sale fabric in this store, and I made my selections. While I was waiting for it to be cut, I noticed this quilt hanging from the ceiling. Perfectly appropriate for the day.


So, I chose a yard of this one. It will be a great backing for my Farm Fresh Eggs stitchery. I might use it on the front too.


This one was also 30% off, and so I bought six yards to use as a backing for the Appalachian Memories quilt. I should have a little left over.


And since I couldn't possibly choose one of those Navajo fabrics, I picked up a six half-yard cut bundle and got a good selection.


I'll pick one for my regional print.


I was about to say I didn't know what I'd use the rest for, but then I paid a visit to the web page of the artist mentioned above and came away with this blackwork embroidery pattern. Surely I can figure a way to use them to make this quilt.

So that's all I have to tell you about the quilt shops. I'm sure I'll visit at least one more when we get to Moab. I've visited It's Sew Moab twice before, and I always find something I like there.

7 comments:

QuiltShopGal said...

I'm totally green with envy. Two quilt shops in one day on a road trip, now that is a trip all quilters should go on. I want to follow along on your adventures!

Cute new pattern you found by Cherry of Cherry Blossoms Quilting Studio. She is so gosh darn creative. Fun to see one of her designs in a quilt shop in Colorado.

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, I'm going to have to put that shop on my list. Looks like a fantastic place! You made some good selections!

gpc said...

Wowzie, it looks like you hit the motherlode. Hubs and I are taking a couple of days away -- what?! talk to each other?? -- and he is insisting that we stop at a couple of quilt shops on the way. What's a gal to do? I hope I score as well as you do, but the odds are ever against me. Too many of those small town shops are closed when you get to them, alas. You made beautiful choices, and left some great options behind.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I'm almost speechless after the tour of that store!! You are having a grand vacation!
xx, Carol

QuiltGranma said...

Sew glad you have found those wonderful quilt shops! Looks like you had a wonderful day!

Lyndsey said...

Wow, I wish that store was here in the UK. I've also bookmarked the website for those fabulous patterns.

quiltzyx said...

So many wonderful, colorful fabrics - I am jealous!
My sister Judy has a quilt made from a 'non-Christmas" version of those pretty cats. She bought the panel & her neighbor made & long-arm quilted it for her.