9/30/19

On the Homefront

We're back home, having spent last night in our bed at home. Our camper bed is comfortable, and we slept well while we were traveling. Still, it's nice to sit up in bed, and swing one's legs over the side to find a regular floor. It's even nicer not to have to climb over things to get to the bathroom. Nicer yet...a door to close on kitties who think playing in the middle of the night is a good idea.

The drive west from John Day, Oregon, is a pretty one. There are lots of ranchers in that area, and therefore, lots of barns. I'm sure I've taken pictures of some of these before.







Things got a little dicey when we got into snow coming through the mountains. We checked the cameras coming over some of the highest passes and found snow on both sides of the road. The roads, thankfully, were clear. Nevertheless, we did pass a snow plow coming in the opposite direction. He was simply headed in the direction of possible problems, not plowing anything...yet.


It was strange seeing the combination of fall color and winter snow. It's very, very early for this sort of thing.


When we arrived at the Three Cats Ranch, we swung open the door and set free the cats. Surprisingly, they only stayed out about 20 minutes before coming inside. We were still on coyote watch here when we left at the beginning of the month. We were feeling fairly confident the coyotes had moved on when we left, but we're still being extra cautious. With cold coming, they've probably moved to lower elevations. We didn't hear them last night, and we've seen none in quite some time, but we'll be extra careful before letting the kitties out.

The first thing I did was to take all my stitchery projects downstairs to trim and press them. You might recall, I had "Sweet Land of Liberty" in the works when we left. This will be turned into a small table topper eventually.


Also, the 7th of 12 blocks for the Appalachian Memories quilt.


And, on our last morning of travel, I finished up "Farm Fresh Eggs." This one will be turned into a small wall hanging eventually.


We're already talking about our next trip, which will be to head south for the winter, starting in January. I'll be kitting up some of these smaller projects to take along for sewing on the road. We'll be in our larger fifth wheel, and I'll have my sewing machine along on that trip.

There's still plenty to do here at home between now and then. After I had my stitcheries trimmed, pressed, and put away, I checked the plum tree and the greenhouse. The plums were all gone, as expected, but there were nearly 4 lbs. of tomatoes, and more coming. These are Super Marzanos. I'll be making salsa from these.


And don't forget, I have five pounds of frozen plums I'll use for barbecue sauce too.

So, there's plenty to do before falling back into our rut of day-to-day existence. Today will be devoted to unpacking the camper and getting caught up on laundry. I'll be doing some more canning before the week is out. But first, I need a new slow-stitching project.

Next in line is Dancing Chickens and Flying Pigs, but I haven't made up the applique portion of the next block yet. That will be my first sewing machine project as I find my way back into the sewing room. In the meantime, I'll work on the "I Believe in Snowmen" blocks out of order this time around. I need to trace out the next three blocks this morning because, as everyone knows, there must be slow stitching or things just don't go right at all. After I've had my morning stitching session, I'll get busy with the rest of it.

10 comments:

QuiltShopGal said...

Welcome home. Your photos of your last leg are beautiful, as well as all your stitchery projects. You got a lot done! Those tomatoes look so yummy.

kc said...

Welcome back! Oh, that sn@#$w stuff looks awfully coooold! Glad the kitties have (mostly, probably) recovered their range! Those
maters look scrumptious! I do miss the gardening and canning part of life now-a-days. We try to make up for it by frequenting the farmers' markets as often as we can.

gpc said...

What beautiful work. You are so much more productive on vacation than I am on my busiest day -- I hope someday to have a few minutes to sew again! And I will, I know. Gorgeous tomatoes. And glad you are safely home.

Teresa said...

Enjoyed the barn pictures, thanks for sharing. Your stitchery is all so pretty and neat.

SJSM said...

There’s just something about that first night at home and waking up the next morning after sleeping in your own bed. You really relax and have a wonderful sleep. I hope to get back to my sewing room in the next 24 hours. It’s been about a month. Our Autumn Gala is over and the Wrap Up meeting complete. All that is left for me to do is the minutes of the meeting and sending out some job descriptions. Then I can look at our neglected garden and see if there is anything to salvage to can. Our prime season for the tomatoes is past so not sure of the quality left on the vine. I’m sure there are rotting ones there also to clean out. Perhaps there are plenty of cherry tomatoes to dehydrate. I will check that status this week.

Glad you are home and loved looking at the views on your trip,

Sandra W said...

Glad you're home safe and sound.

piecefulwendy said...

Welcome home! Sure glad you didn't have dicey roads to travel through that snow with your trailer. There is nothing better than a snooze in your own bed. I'll bet the kitties were happy to be home and roam too. Those tomatoes are lovely; I can taste that fresh salsa - yum! Your embroidery work is so pretty; I especially like Sweet Land of Liberty, but the chicken is delightful too!

Della said...

Love the pictures of the barns. What colorful roofs. Are the bright color roofs normal for out there? We have a red metal roof on our house and a new red roof going on the garage tomorrow. Love the metal roofs.

QuiltGranma said...

We were down to Sunriver, in central OR this last week, we had hail rain and sun, then coming over Lava Dome Pass, it snowed! Of course the elevation was 4510 feet. Very interesting. Glad you got home safe, and kitties are "home free".

Lyndsey said...

I love the bright blue roves on the barns. I wish we had that here. You are so right, there is nothing like waking up in your own bed. I love that you are already planning the next trip.