8/7/19

Writing Fast

Did anyone notice that I forgot to tell you about either the quilt shop or the quilt show yesterday? I didn't notice it until much, much later in the day. Mind like a steel trap, I tell ya'. So, yeah. I still owe you two posts, but it's going to have to wait for a bit. This morning I'm heading out early for an appointment with my dermatologist. I have to go in every nine months for a skin check. Yes. Wear your sunscreen. Then tomorrow I'm getting my eyes examined. I imagine by Friday I'll need my head examined for scheduling so many appointments in the same week.

So anyway...yesterday. The binding for Quiltemala is off to a good start. I've turned two corners already.


From there, I needed to decide whether to keep stitching or do something else. I opted for the latter because I really wanted to finish off the zebra quilt. I quilted it on my domestic machine...just some lines in the white stripes.


And some McTavishing in the red background.


It took a couple of hours, but now the quilting is finished. Here's how it looks from the back.


The binding was already made, and so I just needed to stitch it to the quilt.


Now, it too is ready for hand-stitching. It ended up at 18.5 x 18.5 inches.

In my ongoing series of mystery projects, I'm adding a fourth one. This is my second year participating in the Teal Mini Swap. It's a fundraiser for ovarian cancer research.


You might remember that I made this one for my partner, Lana, in last year's swap.


Lana made this adorable cat for me last year.


Sign-ups were last month, and my packet arrived in the mail two days ago. I have my partner, and my swatch of fabric. I'm making a mug rug, and some of this fabric must appear somewhere on the front of the quilt.


My partner said she likes bright colors and modern blocks, but otherwise didn't specify much. Still, I know what I'm going to do, and so I'm going to want to get started fairly soon. We have until the end of September, but I'm going to need to finish mine sooner than that. Anyway...more later...only, I won't be able to show you anything except for some little peeks.

As for today, I have to go grocery shopping after my doctor's appointment, but I'm still hopeful I'll have some time to do more hand-stitching on the Quiltemala quilt this afternoon.

8 comments:

DeeDee said...

I love love love the quilting you chose for Quiltemala. It's gorgeous! So, I started working at my local quilt shop and they had a long arm they had to get rid of. So I got a long arm for cost with a small frame. My husband and son are so excited to use it! We're going to get the software for it next year. One thing at a time so we don't overextend. My husband is downstairs right now setting it up. Who needs a formal dining room anyway?

I've been keeping up with you, but haven't commented much lately. Life has been busy! I hear you on scheduling two appointments in one week. It wears you out. Can't wait to see the next couple of posts.

CathieJ said...

I would rather have a whole week of appointments followed by a whole free week than one appointment a week for several weeks. I like your zebra quilt. It is so wonderfully graphic.

Sandra W said...

That binding for Matthew's quilt is absolutely perfect. The Zebra quilt is also very special. You did a lovely job on it.

Sandra W said...

Re your appointments--you are very good at keeping on top of your health. So many women don't give their health the attention it needs, especially when they are older. If you keep up on all of these things you catch things early when they are treatable. The list does get rather long as we get older though! Anyway, I hope your other readers will notice your diligence and follow your good example.

Kate said...

You've been moving along with your quilting projects! Love the Zebra finish. Sounds like a busy week, but you'll be glad you've got all those appointments done and you don't have them hanging over your head for the rest of the month.

piecefulwendy said...

Love the binding on Guatemala, and all the stripey stuff going on with the zebra too. What's not to like about stripes? I missed the teal swap again. Shoot. Will be fun to see what you create!

quiltzyx said...

Great quilting on the zebra quilt! And more lovely stripes for the binding too. You go girl!

QuiltGranma said...

My hubby had cancer last year, and this year is getting LOTS of different things checked out, so lots of appointments here too. Recently had laser treatment of floaters in his eye, dermatology, etc. Just so busy! Yes, I understand how these things interfere with what we really wanted to do.