8/8/19

A Big Finish

It was after 2:00 p.m. when I was able to get back to my sewing yesterday. It will probably be something like that today. I don't have to head out quite as early, but early enough. After my eye appointment, I have a number of errands to run in town.

As for yesterday, I surprised myself by stitching the rest of the way around the Quiltemala quilt, and now that puppy is finished.


This was my goal for August's OMG, and so I'll be linking up to the party at the end of the month.



The pattern can be found in this book:


I've made several quilts from the same book, and there is another one sitting on my table awaiting my attention. As for the Quiltemala quilt, I used all of the fabrics, piecing the leftovers into a quilt back.


Smitty helped me hold the quilt down on my lap while I stitched the final two sides. Don't let 'er buck you off there, Buddy.


Just in case he got tired, Sadie was at the ready as my first alternate. She was also busy killing her cat toys.


When it was finished, I folded it up and waited for my quilt-holder-upper to arrive. (Cats are too short for this task.)


While I waited, I watered the pots outside. Sadie, having laid waste to the toy critters inside, was getting ready for a nap in her kitty house outside.


For dinner last night, I tried another new recipe. (I pretty much make a new recipe every night.) This one used up quite a few of the CSA veggies, including zucchini, basil, tomatoes, garlic, and broccoli. It's a one-dish meal, and it was pretty tasty.


At some point in time, I tore this one out of a magazine, and it's been sitting on my desk. Since I can't link to it online, I'm giving you the recipe right here. I changed the directions just a bit, but the ingredients are all the same. The original recipe had me adding the Parmesan cheese to the cream mixture while it was still in the pan. I knew that was going to make a terrible mess, and so I sprinkled the Parmesan over the tomatoes in the skillet, and then poured the cream mixture over. Here's the recipe:

Pasta with Vegetables and Tomato Cream
adapted from My Magazine
Serves 4

3 cloves garlic, sliced
pinch of red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 plum tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh basil
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
1 small head broccoli, cut into small florets
1 medium zucchini, cut into half moons
1 cup frozen peas
8 oz. dried penne

In a large skillet, saute garlic and red pepper flakes in oil for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil; cook on medium-high heat until thickened, about 8 minutes. Stir in basil. In a separate saucepan, combine cream and broth. Bring to a boil and reduce to 1/2 cup, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle Parmesan over tomatoes and then add cream mixture. Stir into tomatoes to create a thick sauce. Keep warm over low heat.

Bring a large pan of salted water to boil. Add broccoli and zucchini; cook 5 minutes. Add the peas and cook 1 minute more. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to the tomato-cream sauce. Return the water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Toss the cooked pasta with the vegetables and sauce. Serve with additional grated Parmesan on top. Refrigerate any leftovers.

It would be easy enough to make this a vegetarian dish by substituting vegetable broth for the chicken broth.

* * * * *

While we were preparing and eating dinner, I gulped hard, crossed my fingers, and washed the Quiltemala quilt. I've been worried sick whether those hand-woven fabrics would fray apart in the wash. I washed and dried it on delicate cycle, and it came through with flying colors. No frayed seams, no unraveling, no nothing. Phew! And it looks so pretty and poofy now that it's been fluffed up with a good washing.


So ends another project. As soon as I publish this post, I'll get busy stitching up the Zebra binding. It should be easy enough to finish today, and that will be two finishes in two days.


I won't send this along to my friend until I can include the Unicorn for her other granddaughter. In the meantime, I hope it behaves itself in the sewing room. Surely I can count on some cats to keep it reined in.

18 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh that Quiltemala is so gorgeous--I just love how the colors go together...lovely work on this, Barbara--
And Mr. Zebra looks super, too...
Meanwhile....[sigh]: I had TWO epic fails today...I think Helga is MAD at me for putting her in the "time out" corner!!;000
I need to seriously re-think what I want to (and am able to) make next...
hugs, Julierose ;(((

Kathy S. said...

LOVE the zebra quilt. Fun way to use up all the extras on the back. I love a pieced back. Thanks for sharing the summer garden recipe.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Oh gee, that dish looks good! I throw a lot of veggies together with pasta all the time. I'm going to try the sauce you used. I have never put those two ingredients together. Love the quilt and your zebra looks great. Your kitties sure give you a lot of assistance!
xx, Carol

Connie said...

Beautiful quilts and yummy dinner. I want to eat dinner at your house and afterwards cuddle up with a good book and your new finished quilt. Move over kitty, LOL

WoolenSails said...

Love how your quilt came out, beautiful work and beautiful new projects. I have been keeping up with your posts, just not commenting as much as i used to. Always fun to see what the kitties have been up to.

Debbie

Margaret said...

I think your Quiltemala quilt is absolutely stunning. And pretty amazing, too, because you just got the fabrics fairly recently. (I don’t think I’ll mention how long some fabrics languish in my stash before they get used.)

Quilting Babcia said...

Two fabulous finishes! And your dinner looked wonderful too!

Kate said...

The Guatemala quilt is gorgeous! Very vibrant colors, it's good you went simple with the pattern. Hopefully Matthew loves it. Hope your errands go quickly and you can get back to stitching sooner rather than later.

Dots said...

I love your zebra quilt. Stunning colors together on that. You get so much done in your days! But, it may not be as quick without your two good helpers. Good job, kitties!

piecefulwendy said...

I'd have been nervous during the washing too; glad it came out okay. The kitties are looking good, and I love the zebra!

Beth said...

Quiltemala goes into the Hall of Fame--that is a seriously stunning quilt! Everything about it comes together so well, right down to the binding which simply shines. This quilt is a treasure. Good thing you had Mr. Smitty there to protect it--the expression on his face would dissuade anyone who even thought about laying a hand on Quiltemala.

Sherry said...

That is a fabulous quilt, so glad it washed up so nicely. You have inspired me today to get something finished and posted. Have a great day!

kc said...

Love those furbies! And the 2 finishes are pretty awesome too! Your veggie/cream/pasta dish looks good. Too bad it's got cream and cheese! Bet I can make it with a bit less of my Lactaid milk, and substitute Mozzarella cheese instead. Hmmm...Maybe I need to go get me some more veggies. We haven't quite got the 'fridge figured out yet. I know...it's about time. But, veggies are still freezing, even in their assigned drawer and even tho we have it turned as warm as we can allow the milk... I dunno. Buying less at a time seems to work just as well and any adjustments..

quiltzyx said...

Love the look of your veggie/pasta meal - and it took me a minute to realize that what I thought were some thoughtfully placed green vegetables all around the pasta was actually your dish! LOLOL

Vicki W said...

I absolutely love Guatemala quilt!

QuiltGranma said...

I saved your recipe to my computer! looks yummy. It is so exciting when one quilt gets done, but two! Wow!

Nann said...

Oh, Quiltemala looks wonderful -- both comfortable and sophisticated. And the back is, well, squeeee! Not only eye candy but a delicious recipe, too. Glad I clicked your link on the OMG page. (And I have that K. Schaefer book....)

Patty said...

What a wonderful finish! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly goal and congrats on your finish.