8/11/19

Some Blocks and a Finish

Yesterday turned into a desperately needed sewing day. The past couple of weeks have been very busy, and so I was really wanting just to do some simple, mindless sewing. I don't know if it was mindless, but mindless enough for me to concentrate on my current audio book.

My first task was to finish off December's block for A Year of Hearts. I neglected to take a picture with my point and shoot, and so you'll have to be content with this crappy picture from my iPhone.


I did manage to remember to get a picture of the nine hearts I've finished so far.


These are small blocks, and so I've been stitching them three at a time. That means the next time I work on this project, I'll be finishing the last of the blocks. Already I have in mind how to set them in a quilt, so I'm kind of excited to get them all finished. Also, if you like these designs, you should know that I've become acquainted with the designer, Nancy Huggins, on Instagram and Facebook. She now has all of them available in her Etsy shop.

Next up, I needed to sew the binding on my mug rug for the Teal Mini Swap. I can only give you a peek now, but I'll show you the whole thing once it's been received by my partner. Mailing isn't allowed until the 25th, so I'm a little ahead of the game. 


I don't like swap projects hanging over my head, and so I try to get them done plenty early. It was the same way when I was writing papers in grad school. As my classmates gritted their teeth trying to get their papers turned in on time, I just polished my fingernails on my shirt and said, "That old thing?" Yeah, I was really popular in grad school.

So then, I was a week behind on the Tiny Tuesday blocks. (I'd be farther behind, except there was no block released last week. That was a relief.) Here's the last of the pink Tiny Tuesday blocks. This one is called "Violet."


It was set in a straight setting.


Then it was time to get to work on this month's light and bright blue blocks for Charm Stars. I was a little worried when the color of the month was announced. My blocks contain both light and dark fabrics, and we'd already done "dark blue." I wasn't sure I could get enough contrast between the darks and the lights to pull off another month of blues. They're quite a puzzle to put together, keeping everything turned in the right direction and matched up properly.


There are two blocks for each month.


When they were finished, I laid them out with the dark blue blocks...dark blue on top and light blue on the bottom.


I suppose they look different, but it hardly matters. They look fine when laid out with all their friends. Here are all the blocks I have so far. I think this is going to be a great quilt.


So that was enough sewing for one day. Upstairs, a small drama is playing out. There is a mouse residing in the wall heater of our bathroom. The kitties have been tag-teaming, keeping watch on that critter. First Smitty takes a turn...


When he gets hungry and tired, Sadie takes over.


This bathroom is smack in the center of the house, with no exterior walls. Now...ya gotta wonder how that critter got in there. Mike is going to take the cover off the heater this morning and try to evict it from its home. Either it has to start paying rent, or it has to leave. We'll keep the kitties close at hand during the eradication process, just in case it tries to get away.

There should be some time today to work on the blocks for the Paintbox Pizzazz quilt...it's another Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt. This afternoon we're doing something fun. We turned in some accumulated points to pay for a lunch-type event at one of the local wineries. We have been members at Sokol-Blosser for many years, and they recently started up with these Farm & Forage events. We'll be tasting wines while their chef makes up some little snacks to go with them. As members, we would get a discount for this, but we've accumulated enough points to go for free. Can't beat that, and it sounds like fun. Of course, I'll report back on the food and wine.

Okay, so that's all the news that's fit to print for today. I need to go link-up at Sunday Slow Stitching and yesterday's Rainbow Scrap party. What's on your agenda today?

19 comments:

Julierose said...

Your monthly hearts are so lovely--great work...
Mouse in the house--eek!! maybe some peanut butter will entice it out...
hugs and good luck Julierose

Karrin Hurd said...

Love those hearts. Great looking blocks too!

Lee said...

Your embroidery hearts are fabulous! And the blocks!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

those two kitties sure know how to 'play' well with each other in keeping an eye on the mouse---
I lived in an apartment about 20 years ago and seasonally I would get mice in my one closet--I had 3 inside cats--two got along well --but the 3rd one--they didn't like--unless they heard or smelted a mouse--then all 3 of them would line up in front of the closet and wait--(I would open the door to the closet)
even got me a photo of them doing it!!! so kitties can get along with they need too!!!
Still love that stitchery of the hearts--but?????
luv, di

Katie said...

Oh, the fun of rodents in the house! My feral rescue, Gabby, brings chipmunks in. And now she has taught her little brother, a bottle-fed rescue how to hunt...and bring in his live prey. Right now we are trying to locate the now-dead mole he brought me about a week ago...stinky! I guess this is what I get for building them a catio and just leaving the window open for them to come and go? But seriously, it was fine until this summer! Your hearts look beautiful, too!

Lisa J. said...

Good luck with the mouse! I love your hearts...and also the blue star blocks. very nice.

CathieJ said...

I love those hearts. I look forward to seeing how you decide to finish them. I like Violet and all of those blue blocks. Good luck getting rid of the mouse. We have had them in the past and it is no fun.

The Joyful Quilter said...

You definitely succeeded in making the new Charm Stars brighter. Nicely done!

Teresa said...

Love your star blocks and all the bright colors.

quiltzyx said...

The heart embroideries sure look swell all together - and only 3 more to go!

The Tiny Tuesday "violet" is sweet. LOVE all your charm star blocks. I think the blues are different enough, especially mixed in with their buddies.

I remember back in the near dark ages, when I lived at home, I woke up during the night & heard a sort of skritching noise in my room. Turned the light on just in time to see a little mouse running along my stereo wires! Only saw it once & only had the thought "oh look, a cute little mouse" & back to sleep. I don't think I even told my Mom about it! I don't even think my dog woke up!!

Joanie's Trendy Quilts said...

Love your monthly embroidery blocks. I have to say I got a chuckle reading about your cat defenders!!

Jill said...

Your photo taken with your phone is just fine. Darling hearts. Very nice colorful charm stars. So many pretty scraps. I also chuckled about the cats and mouse. Enjoy your wine and food outing.

crazy quilter said...

Oh dear mousies in the heater sounds awful. I am sure Smitty and Sadie will take this task with vigor! Happy hunting kitties... get that mousie and please do not make a mess... your blocks look fabulous I love all the color..

Barbara said...

Love those star blocks. I see some of those in my future.

Little Penpen said...

LOL on the cats standing guard. I love your embroidery blocks. I totally get what you mean by mindless stitching... my favorite things to do! Beautiful quilt blocks!

piecefulwendy said...

Those heart embroidery blocks are so cute. Will be fun to see what you have in mind for them. Those star blocks are gorgeous; I think you will really like that quilt! Hope the mouse eradication team has success; you sure don't want that mousey dying in that heater (ask me how I know that). Looking forward to hearing about your evening at the winery.

Dots said...

Never a dull moment for the kitties. lol. Love your embroidery hearts.

Kate said...

The hearts all look great, looking forward to seeing how you set them all together. A mouse in the house is not fun. We found that out last winter. Kitties are definitely handy in that case. My Guy was wishing we had one, but not enough that he was willing to let the SIT bring one home.

kc said...

Sorry, this one just surfaced! I think this was posted on a travel day, and got buried in the onslaught of ads and reservation notices. I'm loving those rainbow blocks, especially how they seem to make that secondary pattern. I like that they're scrappy, yet planned.

How goes the mouse in the house? I hadn't seen anything recently, so I apologize if it got resolved and written up and I just missed it.