8/12/19

Farm & Forage

The day got off to its usual start yesterday. We didn't need to leave for our Farm & Forage lunch until around 12:30, and that left plenty of time for slow-stitching and rainbow scrap blocks.

First, I got a start on my 3rd mystery project. If you've been paying attention, I've done four mystery projects in the past couple of weeks. I've already finished #4, which was the teal mini swap, to be revealed later this month. Earlier, I traced out #3, and yesterday I started stitching it. It'll take me about a week to stitch this and then another week or so before it is received by its recipient. Until then, only peeks for you:


When I'd finished with that for the morning, I went outside to document the reblooming of the second gerbera daisy. If you follow along, then you know I've whined incessantly about how I can never get the gerbera daisies to rebloom. I moved them to a sunnier spot this year, and I've had better luck.


It's neighbor to the left, the third of the three plants, has a bud on it too. Now, if the squirrels will just leave it alone, it too should have a flower pretty soon.


Sadie was all ears and eyes while I was out, even if she is a little out of focus.


Back inside, I surprised myself by finishing the four light blue blocks for the Paintbox Pizzazz quilt. This is the second of this year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilts.


And that left me just enough time to shower and get dressed to go to the Farm & Forage event at Sokol-Blosser winery just down the road. We live in the heart of Oregon wine country here, and so we're members at several local wineries, this one included.


The idea with Farm & Forage, is that we're tasting wines, but a chef is also making up little "snacks" to eat while we taste. Here's the "menu," although it doesn't really say what the dish is. It just notes what is included in each dish. The items listed in red are items farmed and foraged from their own vineyards and gardens.


There was another group in the room with us, and they asked the "wine guy" to take their picture, which emboldened me to ask to have our picture taken as well.


This is chef Travis dressing up the first course.


The first course was a small bowl of gazpacho made with cucumber, tomato, and onion, all from their own farm. The little flowers you see are edible. This was so tasty.


After that, a couple of little raviolis. One was stuffed with squash puree. The other with kale and something else...I forget. They made their own yogurt, and the broth for this was made with the whey from the yogurt. All the little flower garnishes are edible.


The next course was a lamb chop, sourced from a local farm. The dishes were so pretty.


Those little round "grapes" are actually husk cherry, which is a sort of little mini tomatillo. The meat was quite a bit more rare than I usually like, and I've had trouble being squeamish about lamb in recent years (although we used to eat it all the time). Anyway...I hesitated only a minute with this, and then ate it with no problem. It was very yummy. The "schmear" underneath is some of their yogurt, but it's been mixed with stuff to make it taste a little like hummus.


The small setting and close seating made it fun watching the cooking as it progressed.


The next dish was albacore on the left and fillet mignon on the right. Along with the beef were some shishito peppers. I mentioned those recently. They are some of my CSA favorites. Also the peach had been browned on its cut side, and then sprinkled with a little red pepper. It was a surprisingly delicious combination. On the left, the albacore was accompanied by some pickled chanterelle mushrooms, and those were very tasty.


Finally, this little dessert. It has a couple of dollops of a yogurt whipped cream, layered and topped with a little yogurt cakes. The reddish syrup around it is made from their own plums.


Having devoured everything, I walked around the room taking pictures of all the items they've harvested from their gardens. Below are cherry tomatoes on top, and then the husk cherries below.


They had tons of tomatoes. I told them I'd have my canning kettle on to boil if I had this many tomatoes.


Turning to the left there was more of everything.


They'd also been preserving plum jam and jelly and the jars were sitting around.


On a trip to the restroom, I noticed these chocolates in their tasting room.


Proceeds are donated to local animal rescue organizations.


We took a little walk through the vineyards before heading for home. The skies were cloudy, but the sun was shining.


Interestingly, the grapes were just beginning to ripen. The next three pictures were taken just feet apart and on the same vines. Some were still quite green.


Others were beginning to color-up.


Still others had nearly all-purple clusters.


There were also some pretty blooming things around. They have lovely flower gardens at this winery, but we were especially taken with these. They grew along one whole wall of the tasting room, and each flower was perfect. They were prolific bloomers.


And that was pretty much the end of the day. We arrived home around 4:30 p.m. After all that wine, I was ready for a nap. I noted it was late in the day for that, but my eyes had other ideas. I fell asleep on the couch and didn't wake up until 7:00 p.m. Geez. I worried I wouldn't sleep last night, but I did. I suppose I needed the sleep, even without the wine.

So today I'm going to get started on the paper-pieced unicorn. I really want to get both quilts off (the zebra and the unicorn) to my friend so she can pass them along to her granddaughters. There are a few house-keeping chores on today's calendar, and they'll probably be a welcome respite from the paper-piecing. But first, slow-stitching.

17 comments:

Denise :) said...

You both have really lovely, warm smiles. It made me smile to see your smiles. :) I love blackwork (will it be all black needlework on white?). But I'm no good at it! I'll enjoy watching yours progress. Your dinner looked like a fabulously fun and fancy experience!!! :)

Carroll said...

Very nice picture of you and the Mister.

Vickie said...

The beautiful white flowers are Japanese Anenomes. They also come in pink. Here in Central Pennsylvania they are just starting to bloom now and will flower until frost.

djquilting said...

Yummy food! Great picture of you and hubby.

Kate said...

Looks like a full meal rather than snacks! But it all looks yummy, though I'm not sure I could have done the lamb, I'm a well done kinda girl. There is an organic garden center in Tulsa that does something similar, they bring in chefs to use the their garden grown stuff, plus locally sourced protein, and pair it with wines for an 8 course dinner. It's always yummy. We have learned to just stay in Tulsa, after that much wine, the hour drive home would be hard.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Someone took a really nice picture of you and your husband. I have seen veggies in your posts that I have never heard of. Today it was Husk Tomatoes. You and your husband do a lot of cool things. Terry is saying all the time he wishes we could go to places we have never been, or ones we have been to and go again. Sadly, he could not manage that now.
xx, Carol

piecefulwendy said...

What a fun day spent at the winery. The wine sounded good, and the food looked delicious! Hope you have fun working on the unicorn!

kc said...

That's a GREAT picture of you two! Congrats on your daisy re-bloom. I always found them to be sun loving water hogs, but I love 'em! Especially the pink and yellow ones! Your food photos are beautiful and everything sounds pretty yummy. Interesting how the grapes are in such different stages of ripe, but they are all really pretty. Those 2 photos, blown up and framed, would definitely have my vote for a blue ribbon at the fair.

QuiltGranma said...

or instead of blown up, knowing you like to make pictures with fabric, those would be lovely!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The farm and forage event at the winery looked and sounded fun and delicious! We love visiting wineries when we're traveling and have joined a local one here, too. Love the grape photos - you caught them at a very photogenic time! Your RSC blocks look great!

Deb A said...

Wow! That was quite a meal! I love the idea of going to a winery...but I had a bad experience drinking a red wine once that landed me in the ER from one sip! Yummy food and love that white flower. Great photo of you and your hubby as well.

gpc said...

I'm glad you summoned the courage to ask for a photo op, it's a great picture. You are quite an adventurous eater. My kids are foodies to the extent that is possible in our backwoods area; I was more of one when I lived closer to the Big City, and Jack is decidedly not. Belonging to wineries and attending that kind of function looks so fun to me but not at all to him, so lucky we don't have great wineries near us! Did you buy all the chocolate, just to be a good citizen? I hope so. And as always, I am amazing at your productivity, both mysterious and otherwise.

Katie Z. said...

Ooh, you’re ahead of me on the teal mini swap. I finally have mine pieced and basted, but it took me a long time to choose a pattern.

All your work is beautiful, and your farm to table experience looks amazing!

grammajudyb said...

What a fun day you had! Thanks for sharing!

maggie fellow said...

wonderful blocks and a fun to see a different part of the country through your photos

quiltzyx said...

Huzzah for the Gerbera! What a beauty!!

Your RSC light blue blocks are terrific...as usual.

What a lovely picture of you & the Resident Engineer! I'm so glad you asked someone to take it for you.

When I googled husk cherry, the entry I read said that they taste like a cross between a tomato & a pineapple. Ooookay! lol All the dishes look good - glad you had a good time. Lovely blooming/growing shots from your walk outside too.

Susie H said...

What an interesting post. Loved ALL the pictures. The Farm & Forage event looked fabulous to me and I loved how you managed to include a photo of you & hubby. Your blocks are looking good too. Light/bright blues were hard for me but yours look on point. My Gerbera daisies were having a hard time this year for me too. We've had so much rain. I stopped watering them and I see I've got some buds popping up too. I think the water made pretty foliage but I wanted flowers too. Just a thought.