8/1/19

Have Batting, Will Sandwich

It was a day of frenzied activity yesterday. The batting arrived late Tuesday afternoon, and so I hurried to finish up the last of the quilt sandwiches. The sawhorse tables have been taking up two slots in the garage, and so I wanted to get finished and put them away, saving our cars from the hot summer sun. The quilt back for the Snow Globes quilt was ready to receive the rest of itself. Thank goodness it's paired up with its top now and we can all get on with our lives.


When I sandwich a pile of quilts like this, I always start with the largest and move to the smaller ones...hardest to easiest. Next up was Chicken Buffet. It's still a large quilt, but smaller than Quiltemala or Snow Globes.


It made the Pansy Mosaic seem so simple. It only required one plywood table for sandwiching.


Those were all the quilts I intended to sandwich, but as long as those tables were set up, I sandwiched the Zebra quilt too.


In no particular order, here's the status of the Quilts-to-be-quilted pile. I keep quilting, but the pile remains as deep as ever.


Also yesterday, I finished stitching October's Heart.


I'll be starting on November this morning.

There was so much to do yesterday, it wasn't even funny. I made food for last night's dinner, and then went on to make dinner for two nights at the beach and two lunches as well. And then, it was time to get out and water the flower pots. I noticed a sleepy Sadie coming from her little house inside the catio. The sun beats down on the catio in the afternoon, and so Sadie likes to spend her time in this little house.


And, busy or no, the cat grass is a ritual requirement these days. Sadie wants whatever Smitty is having, even though she isn't the grass-eating machine that he is.


He's been surprisingly tolerant of this intrusion, but he still draws a hard red line in the sand where our upstairs bedroom is concerned. He's given up territory everywhere else in the house, but the bedroom is off limits.


So you might guess I'm signing off for a day or two. We're heading over to the Oregon coast to see the Neskowin Ghost Forest. It's something I've wanted to see for years...maybe even a full decade. It can only be seen at a super low tide, and that occurs August 1st and 2nd. It's our only reason for going over, but I'm sure we'll find some other things to do while we're there. Pictures to follow. The kitties aren't going with us, and Matthew will be showing up before we arrive home. (I think he's spent more time in Portland than he has in Las Vegas since moving down there in May.)

Sew on, my friends. I'll be back in a few.

9 comments:

Julierose said...

Good for you getting all that layering done...I need to get on my horse and get mine ready....hugs, julierose

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

First have a fun time on the mini vacation--
and then I wanted to ask you a question--about our colored pencils--
can I ask what size set you got when you got yours???
I had only ordered the 48 pencils size--and was ok in doing our Feb sampler--but now I am trying to color several of Crabapples patterns and have discovered I need more colors--so today I ordered the 72 set one--
and will sell my 48 size one--though I will will do some more coloring on some of the blocks while waiting for the order to come in--I needed more pinks and blues and a grey!!!! leave it to me to always need something more for a project!!!!!!!!!!!!
luv, di

SJSM said...

We did not make it to Neskowin on the first. We currently are in Newport. Beautiful weather and picture perfect days. Next stop is Bandon. Our Oregon coastal trip is coming to a close. I think we will be back to continue the adventure at a future date. Thanks for your previous posts on coastal Oregon. It did give inspiration and details on what to do.

piecefulwendy said...

Enjoy your weekend! Will look forward to hearing about it when you return!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love following your quilting and embroidery adventures, but today I noticed your info about Neskowin. We will be traveling there in late September. Can you see the Ghost Forest at all when it isn't a super low tide? I'll look forward to seeing your pictures!

Natureluvr57 said...

I have brought snips of Catmint in for the cats because they can smell it on me when I prune it. The boys get "drunk or high" or whatever on it but the girls sniff it and walk away. Love the October heart. Have a safe trip

Kate said...

Getting those all sandwiched means you are that much closer to being finished. Congrats on all the progress. Hope your weekend by the beach went really well.

quiltzyx said...

Congrats on getting all those quilts sandwiched before your beach trip.

I remember seeing that Atlas Obscura article about the Ghost Forest. Looking forward to seeing more of your photos as I get caught up!

CA Bobbie said...

I'm fairly new to your blog but absolutely love it. The cats are so precious and such a "help" in your quilting and all around care taking. I've sent an email about the Chicken Buffet quilt which I have fallen in head over heels.
If you don't get it please let me know. Keep on keeping the kitties from being
coyote food.