6/14/19

Summer Blues

It isn't quite summer yet, but our weather doesn't know it. It's been warm and nice here...windy, to be sure. The wind died down a little yesterday, and it wasn't as hot. We're expecting much the same weather today. I'll start off today watering the annuals and filling the bird feeders. I'm sad to say some of my sunflowers didn't survive the windy weather. It was actually my fault, I think. I had them loosely staked, and I think the tie around the stake slid down, taking the flower with it, until it's spindly little stem broke off. Not to worry because I have more. I'll just replace the broken ones, remove the stakes, and pretend this never happened. You won't tell, will you?

When I was able to make my way to the sewing room I was finally able to catch up on the Tiny Tuesday blocks. First was this Grandmother's Fan. I did mine a little differently than the instructions. Mine is appliqued to a whole background piece.


The next one was this "block with no name" created by Cynthia Bruinz. In my tiniest blue scraps, I found some little mini-charms, and I used those for the lightest blues in the center.


Cynthia invited us to come up with our own name for this block. With coyotes on the prowl, I'm calling mine "Target Practice."

Sadie helped me make these blocks. She kept the itty bitty bits that fell on the floor in check. They were ready to start flying all over the room, when Sadie took over, keeping them safely corralled.


When I laid them out for their picture, she helped flatten them out.


Eventually, I convinced her that napping would be her best way of helping, and I was able to get this picture. I have 24 blocks, while I'm really supposed to have 23. I'm not sure which one is not like the others, but somebody got in here that doesn't belong.


Sadie tried to help me figure it out, but eventually took refuge on the quilts-to-be-quilted pile.


After that, I started working on the Paintbox Pizzazz blocks. The half square triangles are finished and trimmed. They're laid out, but I'm not sure if this will be the final configuration. I might decide to rearrange them.


Today, I'll finish these off, and then I'll move to the upstairs where Eliza and I will get busy quilting the Heart & Home quilt. It's a lap-sized quilt, and so it shouldn't take too long to finish it off.


This is how our day went yesterday. Every time I think the kitties are resigned to their new and (hopefully) temporary status as indoor-only cats, they let me know that this arrangement is not acceptable to them. They spent the entire day whining and yowling and getting into whatever mischief they could find. Yesterday's photo-a-day prompt was "open up," and this seemed like a perfect image.

Open up the door....puh-leeeeeze!


Their size difference cracks me up. Smitty is an unusually big boy, while Sadie is an unusually petite little girl. And please be polite by not mentioning anything about the length of their tails.

On a positive note, Coyote Man was here yesterday to take a look at the property and work out a plan. He says he'll be back next week to set some traps. We saw both coyotes again late yesterday afternoon. When we see them, it's always the same pair, and they're behaving in the usual way, running across the bottom of our field and through the tree line into the neighbor's field. Sometimes they'll stop and try to nab a gopher along the way.

Today I'll do some work outside, and then I'll get back to my sewing. It should be another fairly easy day, although Smitty and Sadie could decide to make it a day for testing patience as well.

3 comments:

Katie said...

The blocks are looking great and it seems I've seen others mention they're one ahead as well...must have been an extra one in there somewhere that we don't remember! As for tails, I was actually going to ask because my little beastie, Gabby, a feral kitten turned housecat, became a bob-tail last fall and she would like to know she is not alone in her plight! (Cat tail vs. recliner did not go in her favor.)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Angela offered (twice I think) two blocks with your choice to make one. I have two extra - means I'm that much closer to done. I was thinking the same with the Fan tiny - applique' it to a solid background is so much easier. Poor kitties, I hope this problem gets resolved soon for them.

piecefulwendy said...

I'd say you have great patience, both with the cats and Coyote Man (not like you have much choice, I know). I can hear the two complaining, and getting into mischief out of boredom. Wilbur is quite good at that, and has been especially good at it as of late. I think it's the change in the weather for him. He's dreaming of his loose and reckless days before he came to the shelter and then to us. Love those little blocks -- so cute!