6/13/19

OMG: A Finished Flimsy!

It was another busy day yesterday, and it was HOT! It was up to 95°F. by day's end, which is the warmest day so far this year. We turned on the air-conditioning for the first time too. It cooled off enough after dark that we were able to turn it off and open the windows. I don't know about you, but I like sleeping with the window open. Better to hear the howling coyotes, don't you know. Still no word from Coyote Man, but I'm going to call him if I don't hear from him by noon today. Smitty has pretty much given up on life:


There were some things to do in the morning, including a short grocery shopping trip. When I got home, I finished off the last of the Chicken Buffet flimsy, adding on a dark purple border.


This is the fabric I'm using for the quilt back. It has a story.


You might remember when we were doing the Let's Book It challenge with Sharon V. At some point, and I can't remember the context, Sharon told me she had this funny chicken fabric and she doubted she'd ever find a use for it. So, I piped up and said, I have a PERFECT quilt for that. I hadn't yet started on it, but I'd had the pattern for many years. Sharon sent me the fabric, and Chicken Buffet was next on my list for the Let's Book It challenge. So, thank you, Sharon. Your fabric was the perfect size for this quilt. I cut the length in half, sewed one seam, and I had a quilt back...just like that! I love it when it works out so easily.

The fabric for the binding was selected at the very beginning when I cut all the pieces for the whole quilt. I laid the strips beside the border so you can see how it will look when it's finished.


This is my goal for June's


and so I'll link up there at the month-end party.

It was late in the day by then. Mike came home early to do some mowing. While he was doing that, the kitties and I relaxed and waited. It's not often I get a two-cat lap. Smitty is not amenable to sharing on most days. Being so depressed from his confinement to the house, he satisfied himself with a threatening glare. Sadie ignored him.


Being such a hot day, I was happy to have some beautiful crispy fresh lettuce from our CSA share. We also had some leftover grilled rib-eye for a steak salad. I added a few vegetables from the grocery store, a nice white wine vinaigrette, and some blue cheese, and that was a tasty meal with no heat applied.


I'm feeling pretty much caught up with household chores now, and back on schedule with my calendar assignments. There are a few things to do today, but most of the day will be spent sewing. I'm going to get caught up on the Tiny Tuesday blocks, and then I'll probably get a start on the Paintbox Pizzazz blocks. These are the blocks I have so far.


This is my second Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt for 2019. I'll be adding blues to the mix this time around.

9 comments:

Marei said...

Congrats on your flimsy finish! It looks cute. I have an entire box full of chicken fabrics that have been awaiting their turn to be played with. Someday my quilt entitled "Free Range" might actually get made.

Julierose said...

Your flimsy finish looks great; love that backing fabric...Your salad looks tempting...
Rain rain and MORE rain here--and C O L D ...sewed some more "parts" this morning...hugs, Julierose

Geraldine said...

Nice work! Your photos made me smile.😂😂

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Ha! I for got about that chicken fabric and is perfect for the back. We are rainy and cold - don't think we are ever having Spring and maybe not even a Summer if this keeps up. Good thing I use my crockpot year round, but is seeing more 'comfort food' than summer delights.

Sandra W said...

After reading about everything you've been doing and plan to do--I had to have a little rest!
I love the two-cat lap photo. So reassuring.

Teresa said...

Chicken Buffet is so cute, congrats on the flimsy finish. I really like your Tiny Tuesday blocks, all that color just makes me happy.

piecefulwendy said...

The backing fabric is perfect! It's so fun when things like that come together. Poor kitties. Shame on that Coyote Man, not showing up! It's time to get the coyotes on the road and away from you. Yikes -- 95! That's definitely salad weather, and yours looks tasty! I'm doing better today, so I'm going to the quilt show. Fingers crossed I get through the day alright, without any further injury!

Californianativedaughter said...

It's been very hot here in the SFBay Area this week too, in the high nineties. I discovered an easy way to cool off. We don't have indoor air conditioning, but fans in every bedroom upstairs. One of my bedrooms is my sewing room. I took my bottle of water that I use to spray fabrics when ironing. I put several drops of lavender essence it to give fabrics a nice smell. To keep cool, I spray the bottle in the air and the fan showers it on me cooling me off.
Rosemary

Patty said...

Such a fun quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly goal and congrats on your finish!