6/20/19

A Slow Day

Mike had dinner with a friend last night, and so I knew I was on my own for the evening. Maybe that was part of the reason I felt lazy yesterday. Nothing but slow-stitching was on the menu. There were good intentions of getting to my two remaining monthies: the June blocks for Garden Sunshine, and two more blocks for the Countdown to Christmas sew-along.

The morning started with my usual slow-stitching. I worked on the stitch sampler until I had it this far:


To the right of the hoop were showing two of the three English Daisies for this piece. Since they required a little prep work, I wanted to do all three at the same time, and it made sense to move the hoop there. These are done a little like trapunto (although I've never done trapunto, and so I have no idea what I'm talking about). The pattern suggests cutting three small wool circles, a little smaller than a dime. I don't have wool, and so I've used flannel for this. I think the pattern suggests a different way of attaching them to the fabric, but I've used Heat 'n Bond Lite to attach them.


This morning I'll stitch two layers of lazy daisy stitches over the top, which will cover the flannel completely, and it will give them a three-dimensional appearance. They're supposed to have a white bead in the center of the flower. Since I don't have any small white beads, I'm considering using a white hot fix nail head there. I'll have to see how it comes out in the end before I make a decision. There might be a trip to a craft store in my future.

From there, I did a little housework, and then did some more sewing on the binding for Heart & Home. By the time I finished, I'd turned the third corner.


And then, I headed into the sewing room to look at my remaining two monthly projects. Neither of them interested me or sparked any enthusiasm. Do you ever get halfway through a project and then wish you'd never started? Both of those projects lost their appeal at least two months ago, but I'll soldier on with them until the bitter end. Both were started as a way to use scraps, and I'm determined to make a dent in my scraps this year. Only...maybe not on this particular day. Instead, I went upstairs and took a nap. It gave me enough energy to finish up the binding on Heart & Home and now this is a finished quilt.


Here's how it looks from the back.


I really love the color combination in this quilt. Red, black, and white were my high school colors, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. I've just always liked that combination. In fact, I like any black and white quilt that includes one other color. It doesn't matter what the third color is.

So, I have no plans for this quilt. I think I'll wash it and retire one of the lap quilts currently hanging out in the living room. Sadie is my morning lap cat, and she'd probably appreciate a change.

I think your black and white quilt would go purrfectly with my furs.


And that brings me to today. It's going to be a bad day for Sadie, who will accompany me on my excursion to the vet. Our previous veterinarian left town while we were traveling around the perimeter of the country. She left in a hurry, which kind of made us wonder what happened. Anyway...we've tried a different vet since she left. It was kind of like Grand Central Station in their office. Too many dogs. Too much noise. Entirely too busy for any one pet to feel as if they'd received purrsonalized care. It was a little like a veterinary conveyor belt of care. We'll try a different office this morning. Choices are limited in our little town, and so I'm hoping this goes better today. It would be nice if we didn't have to drive across town with our nervous kitties yowling in their crates. Sadie is blazing the trail this morning. Smitty's turn will come next month.

Hopefully all of that will go smoothly, and I can get back to my two remaining monthlies. When those are finished, I'm going to start Clementine's pawtrait. Clementine is one of my two grandcats.


This is the photo I took of her while she was nipped out on catnip last month. You can see the blooming catnip in the foreground. Just last night I was reading the Botany of Desire by Michael Pollen. He claims that cats like catnip because it contains nepetalactone, which mimics a pheromone emitted in the urine of cats during courtship. A less X-rated explanation can be found right here. Probably I should have instructed Molly, the kitten across town, to cover her eyes during this paragraph. Molly is known to have tender sensibilities about such things.

12 comments:

Lee said...

Very interesting way to do the daisies. Looking forward to seeing how they look after your stitching.
We're fortunate here that the vet office we go to is a cat's only place. Sadly the owner died last year, far too young, and far too quickly - she was wonderful! but her husband, and the other vets in the practice will keep it going. My kitties are way overdue, but they're strictly indoors so I don't worry too much about it though do fear should they ever escape from the indoors.
As a child we had a cat named Clementine, she was black & white kitty. The name always reminds me of the song.

Lyndsey said...

Well done finishing the Heart and Home quilt. It looks fabulous and I love the colour combination. That's a great picture of Sadie. I hope the visit to the vet went well. Kitties do stress themselves if the environment isn't right. Picasso hates the vet and I usually end up with several scratches from him when I get him out of his travelling basket.

Janarama said...

Your Heart & Home quilt is awesome and looks like a terrific quilt to enter into a quilt show. I'm sure poor Sadie will need a long nap after her "field" trip. Barbara, you might need one too! LOL

Sally Trude said...

My cat will not be mollified by drugs...she is quite keen to go outside and is trying to figure out the magic of keys and/or what sound she can make that would have me open the front door for her.

Julierose said...

Heart and Home turned out beautifully...nice work on it...
As for wishing I'd never started a project--well, many times over...
and my curved wedges have fallen into that rabbit hole right now! It is just making me anxious...nothing looks good..ack
hugs, Julierose

claudia said...

I just finished a quilt I wish I had never started. Okay; I am glad I started it, because it's for a friend with cancer. The pattern I chose, "Warrior", Spoke to me about me friend so I went with it. Can you say, "COMPLICATED"? I battled through it...like a warrior...sorry, not sorry. It's done and now I have to figure out when she is available to receive it. I'm so happy to pass this one along.

WoolenSails said...

Love the colors in your stitchery and your quilt came out beautifully, I actually like binding and sewing that down, relaxing to me.

Debbie

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I just love the little stitcheries you are working on right now. I have had a few - fell out of love - projects and passed them on to either a guild member or sent them off to another blogger who is willing to finish them off and donate as a charity project.

Quilting Babcia said...

I've been meaning to tell you how much I love your Hearth and Home quilt, the black, red and white combination for the setting and borders is just perfect. I'm thinking State Fair entry perfect? I hope Sadie survived the trauma of the vet's office. Smitty will no doubt get the blow-by-blow description of the indignities she suffered, and find a safe haven in the clubhouse for the next month.

piecefulwendy said...

Hope the vet visit went okay. Sadie can give Smitty the skinny on the ins and outs of the new place. Not a great summer start for your kitties - housebound and vet visits - oy. Hearth and Home is such a pretty quilt. I'm glad you're hanging it so you can smile each time you see it. Not sure what I'm up to today. We have rain again, but I really need to get out and move. Honestly, I just want to sew, so I might sew and then walk on the treadmill.

mangozz said...

I've probably said this before, and you are probably sick of hearing it but, Heart and Home is gorgeous!

quiltzyx said...

If you haven't already gotten something to work for the center of your English Daisies in the stitchery, let me know - I could probably send you some white beads. :)
Another great photo of Sadie! Hmmm, maybe you should make a small black and gold quilt to match her lovely furs.