4/28/19

So Saturday

It was a lot of fun heading off to the farmer's market with Erik and Mae yesterday. The market is only just getting going for the season, and there were about half as many vendors as we usually see. Even the folks selling food were in short supply, but there were some interesting and yummy dishes available. Erik, Mae, and I split this enormous omelette three ways, and we also shared a plate of bacon-wrapped asparagus. The omelette was stuffed with vegetables and pork.


One of the vendors was a baker of dog treats. These cracked me up.


I ended up getting a pork loin for our dinner tonight. We're really hooked on the pork loins for the moment, and Mike will do that in his Trager grill tonight. Also, I picked up some beautiful asparagus. There was a recipe in the NYTimes a few days ago I want to try.

Also, someone had samples of "Cowboy Candy." I've wanted to try it because it's something I can make and can at home. Working with jalapenos is downright treacherous, however, and so I wanted to taste it first. It turned out to be really good, and I bought two jars. I'm still not convinced I'll want to make it at home. The fumes from jalapenos are killer when cooking with them in high volume. Anyway...these are good. They're a pickle, but somewhat sweet, while maintaining the heat of the jalapenos.


Before leaving home yesterday morning, I stitched real fast and finished off June's heart.


Here are the three I have so far.


When I got home, I walked around the yard to see what was blooming. The second cherry tree, the Black Tartarian, is all in bloom now. Both cherry trees were alive with bees...always good for the fruit.


A few of the azaleas are ready to burst forth. They are the real stars of the garden this time of the year, and we have several different colors.


Also, the new tree from last year, the Dappled Willow, is starting to "dapple." I can't wait for this to put on its show. I'm actually not sure if it will have a flower or if the leaves are the real show since I've only ever seen them from a distance. They are wonderful, however, and so I'm excited to see it. Of course, I'll keep you posted on its progress.


It was a little too chilly to be outside yesterday, and so I opted to hold off on any gardening until today. The weather should be warmer and sunnier today. Instead, I did another five 4 x 4's on the pansy mosaic.


I still need two more 4 x 4's before I'll be able to sew the fourth section to the rest, but I laid out what I had. The yellow pansy is really starting to emerge now.


When I went upstairs, I found Mr. Smitty lying in the afternoon sunshine. It's just another day in purradise.


With the three hearts finished, I'm ready to start on the "Stitch" sampler from Crabapple Hill Studios. Fingers crossed I can pull off some of those fancier stitches. It's hooped up and waiting for me downstairs.


Also waiting downstairs, Mike loves his Sunday blueberry oatmeal pancakes (I like them too), and so that's where I'm headed next. Today I'll be spending some time gardening, doing laundry, and a couple of small housekeeping chores. I'm hoping to get that fourth section finished on the pansy mosaic too.

15 comments:

Barbara said...

Jinny Beyer wears a gas mask when she makes her hot pepper jam. And gloves, of course.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I pickle them in vinegar and find its really not too bad. Your stitcheries are so cute. Will the hearts go in a quilt?

Karrin Hurd said...

Cute stitchery, and lovely garden pictures!

Julierose said...

Yum, that breakfast looked amazing!! I'd never heard of Cowboy Candy...sounds mucho caliente!!
I like how your hearts came out...and the pansies are so pretty, you
are really moving along with them...hugs, Julierose

Quilter Kathy said...

Love the heart stitcheries, but also love the next Stitch project!
Those bacon wrapped asparagus made my mouth water... but not the jalapenos!
Thanks for the giggle from the dog treats :)
Glad to hear you have lots of bees!

quiltzyx said...

oooh, bacon-wrapped asparagus sounds divine! The omelet looks tasty too.
So, jalapeno flavored pickles then? Hmmm.

I'm not a fan of the poop emoji. Picked up enough dog, cat & horse poop IRL, no thanks for the fake stuff.

MORE cherry blossoms - awesome. And welcome to the bees too. I do love azaleas. Have you ever seen the ones at the Huntington Library? I seem to remember that they were huge and fabulous.

I'm looking forward to the "Stitch" stitchery. Looks to be very cool.

CathieJ said...

I love those hearts. Based on how beautiful they are I don't think you should have any trouble with your new embroidery. I really can't believe how pretty your pansy quilt is. Your flowers are beautiful and those dog treats really made me smile.

Jennie in GA said...

Love your little embroideries!!

Quilting Babcia said...

Those doggie treats made me laugh, and Gibbs drool! We had snow both yesterday and this morning, thankfully it only lasted on the ground for a little while. So spring may or may not be here yet.

kc said...

As always, embroidery is stunning, quilt flimsy is really coming along nicely, and flowers are pretty as can be. Smitty, adorable as ever! Mmmm, Driver thinks the bacon wrapped asparagus is worth looking into. We have moved down to Sarasota area, so heading to Anna Maria Island in a bit. Hope we don't come back with flesh eating bacteria, like 2 others. Stay well, stitch on!

piecefulwendy said...

I keep forgetting to try the bacon-wrapped asparagus, although admittedly I'm not sure I want to fuss with wrapping asparagus. I'll just admire the Cowboy Candy from here, since hubs doesn't do peppers of any kind and my love of them is now and then. Those little hearts are just darling. Wilbur's favorite spot is our bed until I head down to the quilt room.

Natureluvr57 said...

That omelette and asparagus look so yummy! I can't handle jalapenos at all but it made me think of the piccalilli we made ages ago-so good. Love the hearts-couldn't find the patterns for sale. I have so much waiting to be stitched and last night I did a little punch needle bird for practice. I have a large design to work on. The night before I did a little Shabby Fabrics wool applique mug rug. Those are two easier crafts I do in between the making of quilt tops and cross stitch that seems to take me forever anymore.

Dar in Mo said...

That bacon wrapped asparagus looks wonderful. I want to try it sometime. Did it have a brown sugar glaze on it too?

Jenny said...

I love your stitched hearts, so pretty

Deb said...

I just love the heart stitcheries and the Crab Apple Hill sampler looks like a fun project. Your flowering trees look lovely.