4/27/19

Homecoming

It was good to see Matthew again after his Guatemala adventure. He'll be here for just a few days before he makes good on a many-years-long decision to move to Las Vegas. It'll be sad for us to see him leave the area permanently. Fortunately, we visit the Las Vegas area frequently, and so we'll see him often even after his move. Also, as we discovered with his Guatemala trip, he's only a phone call away.

We had a good lunch of Korean food, and he brought some beautiful hand-dyed and hand-woven fabrics from Guatemala. I took them outside to get a good picture of their colors Look at how pretty these are:


This next one has a metallic gold stripe through it.


I wasn't able to capture it with photography, but it has some sparkle (about an inch wide) where I've indicated with an arrow in the image below. You can make out the strip of lighter threads, and those add some sparkle to the piece.





Already, I know just what to do with these. I'll probably get started on it as soon as I've finished up with the Pansy Mosaic, which is currently taking up all the space on my sewing table. First, though, I wondered what y'all think of this. Being hand-died and hand-woven, they aren't like manufactured fabrics with a tightly woven selvage. The edges are hemmed on some, and on others, left kind of raw, like in the image below.


Since I'll want to wash and pre-shrink them in the washing machine, what would you do to protect these edges? Pinking shears? Stitch a line of stitching? Enclose in a mesh bag? All of the above? None of the above? I'm curious to get your input about this.

The only other thing I did yesterday was to finish off the third section of the pansy mosaic. Here, the greens have been introduced.


Now the first three sections are sewn together. The purple pansy has just a little bit left at the bottom, and the yellow pansy is starting to appear.


This morning, I'm heading off to the Farmer's Market with Erik and Mae. I'm not really sure what fruits and veggies will be available so early in the season, but it's always fun to meet up with Erik and Mae and enjoy a good breakfast. I'll probably spend a good part of the afternoon in the garden planting the last of the annuals, and I must check on things in the greenhouse. If there's time, I'll get back to my sewing.

21 comments:

Shonnie said...

Beautiful fabrics! I'd run a line of zigzag (three step if your machine has it) along the edge, and enclose the piece in a mesh bag for good measure.
Having family move away can be hard, but distances between places seem to get shorter all the time, and, as you noted, anywhere is just a phone call away. You've given him the wings and confidence to be able to fly on his own!

Julierose said...

I also would run a line of stitching along all the edges just to be sure...
such pretty fabrics...
Nice you got to see Matthew for you both....hugs, Julierose

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I agree with Shonnie - I use this with homespuns because of their lose weave. Very pretty fabrics and good son!

Shari said...

Lovely fabrics. All of the above. Doesn’t take much time and you will have no regrets.

Shirley said...

Such beautiful fabrics! I would do a zig-zag stitch along the edge like several others have suggested. Looking forward to seeing what these fabrics become.

gpc said...

Oh my gosh, Matthew has fabulous taste! Those fabrics are gorgeous. I'm in agreement with the belt and suspenders approach of zig zag and net bag, taking care about the possibility of bleeding by washing separately ad using a color catcher or two in each load.

We want our kids to grow up to be independent and self sufficient. And then, darn it all, they do. They key thing, as we've said before, is that we want them -- and in this case him -- to be happy. An exciting time for him, I wish him all the best.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I'd stitch along those edges to keep them from fraying in the wash. Have fun with those lovely pieces he brought you. Sorry he is moving. I totally understand, since my youngest is in Alaska, and it's way to far to drive there.

Dixie said...

No help with the edges here, but to prevent lengths of fabric from becoming Gordian Knots when washed, baste the two cut edges together (no need to unfold).

Shepherdess55 said...

If you have a serger you could secure the edges with a 3 thread overlock stitch. Also, use the delicates or hand-wash cycle on your machine.

Dorothy said...

I think to use a serger on the edges would be perfect--if no serger a zig-zag stitch around the edges. Also wash in a bag, each color separate, and on gentle. Color catchers might be a good idea too. Glad Matthew is back safe and sound. And hope Vegas treats him the same way--safe & sound

Judy1522 said...

I would do some kind of stitching around the edges that would keep them from fraying. Also I would wash them as gentle as possible and do the first one by itself with a color catcher to see if they bleed color.

Terry said...

I lived in Panama for many years, and had skirts made out of these fabrics. Being a child, I don't remember anything about laundry, just running around playing in the jungle. What I would do before the first wash is - fold the cut raw edge, fold again so the edges are enclosed similar to a hem, and then run it through the machine with a long basting stitch, which can be pulled out later. On a kitty note - I woke up this morning to a hair ball so big I had to look twice to make sure it was a hair ball.

piecefulwendy said...

Honestly, I'd probably hand wash the fabric because I'd be concerned the agitation of the washer would damage it. I don't know anything about Guatamalan textiles, though, so the others' advice is probably better. Matthew sure chose some lovely pieces though; what a treat! Glad he is back and ready for his next adventure in Vegas. Enjoy your time with Erik & Mae!

Californianativedaughter said...

I would agree with peacefullywendy: Finish edges by zigzagging, Since these are hand-dyed, I'd be cautious about using cold water to see if dyes have been permanently set or will they run when you wash them. Beautiful colors. Anxious to see what you do with them.
Rosemary

Lyndsey said...

What beautiful fabric Matthew bought back for you. I can't wait to see the project you use it for. It's hard when our children decide to move away and follow a dream but our modern phones keep the family together never mind the distance.

heartsease54 said...

I would do a small line of zigzag stitching along all edges, not just the raw ones. And then wash in a bag too.

Pinkflorentina said...

I do hope you haven’t washed these yet. Fabrics from these areas are rarely sealed dyes unless they’ve been through an industrial process. Try a small piece first and see what happens. Good luck

quiltzyx said...

I would do a stay-stitch all the way around before washing them, and, knowing me, would just toss 'em in the washer on gentle. Probably a good idea to use a color-catcher too.

The pansies are looking wonderful!

Kathy H said...

Happy to hear Matthew is home safely. What beautiful fabrics. I would put a line of zig zag around the edges to keep them from fraying in the wash.

Vicki W said...

Those fabrics are fabulous!

Brown Family said...

I know how hard it is to have your son move so fat away. Especially when you are use to seeing him on a regular basis!. Our Army son has been far away for many years. The closest he has ever been to us was three and a half hours away. It was hard to get use to, but I think it was one of the best decisions he ever made!