4/17/19

All New

All new, except for this one last block from an old project. The last of the Sundress blocks is finished.


Probably I won't get around to sewing this one together until the end of the year since I have six quilts ahead of it, but having the embroidery done is a big step toward a finish.

Recently, I've been finishing up a lot of my piecing and embroidery WIPS..."finishing" being a relative term. None of them are sewn together, but they've reached the next stage of the process. And all of that to say that I'm starting a lot of new projects right now. The finish of the Sundress blocks leaves me with an empty space on my embroidery dance card, and so I get to start something new.

This is a little group of stitcheries I picked up when I visited Creations in Kerrville, Texas, a little over a year ago. I'm calling this project, "A Year of Hearts." There is a little heart embroidery block for each month of the year, and I'll be starting with April.


These are from "The Basket Case Needlework Therapy." I looked for a website, but could find nothing except abandoned URL's and one abandoned blog post, and so I can't say much more than that about the designer. These are very small blocks. There is no quilt pattern, and so I'm not sure what their original intended purpose was. I'll be making a small quilt from them. Since they are small, I've decided to stitch them three at a time. It took me about an hour yesterday to gather supplies and trace them out, but now April, May, and June are ready to go.




When those were finished, my little helper cat was ready and willing to help me cut the remaining 80 2 x 2 squares for Jenny's Flower Garden.


It took some time to cut the remaining scraps, and then there was just a little bit of time left in the day to begin sewing the rows together. I'll be making four of the "flower" blocks and three "blanks" for this grouping. These are the outermost rows. I'll have some time to sew the middle rows together today. Just maybe I'll have some finished blocks by day's end.


I'm realizing my quilt isn't going to look anything like the one in the book since her scraps were all pastels. Mine are brighter. Those are the scraps I have to work with, and so we'll see how it turns out. The main purpose of this quilt is to use up scraps, and it will do that.

Today I'm getting my hair permed. Love the perm, hate the process. Today is the last day to enter Smitty's Birthday Giveaway. I'll announce the winner tomorrow.

8 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Your sundress blocks are all so pretty! I especially love this one. Happy perm day ... those days are long-gone for me, and I'm not missing them one bit.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Very pretty dress block. The new little heart project looks like a quicky for you and make a sweet little wallhanging.

WoolenSails said...

Your new projects are so fun, as well as what you have been up to lately.

Debbie

piecefulwendy said...

That little sundress makes me think of a lovely warm summer day and a party. I enjoy seeing your embroidery projects; you do such nice work! I hope Sadie is more help than Wilbur. Good thing I love the little guy so much. Haha. He thinks my sewing feet are really fun toys -- not. Enjoy your day -- has the rain stopped?

Julierose said...

That Sundresses piece will really be lovely--and i love those little hearts embroideries--very small wording to stitch--that would be a challenge for me...I just got a pre-printed stamped cross stitchery for my summer hand work-looking forward to beginning that as I haven't done embroidery in ages...
fun starting new projects, isn't it? hugs, julierose

mangozz said...

I always love seeing the little sundresses that you embroider. Those heart blocks look really sweet too.

quiltzyx said...

Lovely last sundress block. :) Oy, all those 2" blocks!!!! I'll enjoy your working on them.
The new little heart blocks are fun - I'm sure those will go quickly for you.

Brown Family said...

I like the bright colors! THose look like fun slow stitching blocks