3/2/19

Sew Many Cats

Like many of my quilts, the Tuxedo Tales have given me a lot of blog titles in the last few days. It's time in the sun is waning, however. I think today it will be a finished flimsy. There was still some sewing together to do yesterday before I could get started on the blocks.


Finally, I was ready to start sewing sashings to the quilt blocks. This is January's block.


With sashings both top and bottom, the top row took the longest to sew together.


Smitty eyed those cats with suspicion and decided his best move was to dominate them while I sewed.


And you can't blame him for worrying that they might go a little crazy if he didn't hold them down.


I'm suspicious about this little person too.


While I was sewing, I was also busy making a dessert for our First Friday. You do remember my proclamation, don't you? So here's my thinking: It's good to have a proclamation even if you don't restrict yourself to the rules because it can also serve as a reminder to make a dessert on the First Friday...and any other day of the week you choose. So yesterday's effort were these little Caramel Bread Puddings for Two. Oh yum. When they come out of the oven, they're all puffed up like this:


With those out of the oven cooling, I got back to work on the tuxedos and sewed the second row together.


When it was time to quit for the day, I had the third row sewn on.


Now there is just one row left there at the bottom. When that's finished, it has one border, and I'll have myself a finished flimsy. I'm hoping to get it all finished today. It should be easy enough.


When I went back upstairs, the bread puddings had deflated some.


It's my firm belief that any delicious dessert can be improved with a dollop of whipped cream.


Yum.

We've been treated to some pretty sunsets. We have a mountain behind us that blocks our view of the setting sun, but we still sometimes get some pretty pink clouds to the north.


It's time to choose my OMG for March. My personal goal each month is to finish one flimsy and to quilt one quilt. That's in addition to everything else, of course. My flimsy is almost done, and so my OMG for March will be to quilt the flamingo quilt from some months back. (I took this class from Ann Shaw last May.)


I have some ideas about how to quilt it, but I haven't decided on thread colors yet. I have these lined up. Whichever one speaks the loudest will probably get used in the quilt. The variegated ones in the middle are for the bobbin. I might use several, or one, or none. No decisions have been made.


So, this morning I'll be linking up to the party:


We're traveling toward the end of the month, and so this is going to get started pretty quickly. It's a good time to start because I can take a break to work on my monthly blocks as I go.

Mike and I are making a short trip into town this morning, and there is some housekeeping on the to-do list for today. Still, I think those tuxedo cats have meowed to be finished for the last time.

11 comments:

Barb H said...

Your Tuxedo Cats quilt is looking fantastic! All the work making those pieced sashings is going to be so worth it. Are you thinking of putting this one in the State fair this summer?

Vroomans' Quilts said...

The border just gives that extra pop to these cute kitties. You have a lovely selection of threads to chose from, but the lighter, multi color one catches my eye - a little twinkle of aqua. It's started to snow already (instead of late tonight) and suppose to continue for the next 4 days. YUCK

Laura said...

Those Tuxedo Cats are soooo cute! What a fun quilt!

Can't wait to see how you quilt the flamingos...I really like this piece!

Lynette said...

Gorgeous! Really-super-love your Tuxedo Tales!

Christine M said...

Your cat blocks look great, Barbara. Those flamingos are amazing.

SJSM said...

It is always fun to watch another set of blocks become a flimsy. Your color choices bring the blocks up to another creative level. Ooh! You influenced me to make that bread pudding over the holidays. It was great. Too rich for me at this time as I am struggling to get the holiday pounds back off. Enjoy every bite.

piecefulwendy said...

That bread pudding looks delicious, and I love the little stoneware(?) you have to bake them in. How deep is the dish? Not sure I have something like that, but I'd like to try this recipe. You know I love Tuxedo Tales, and those sashing blocks really add to them. Good thing your two kitties showed those cats who's boss! We have sunshine this morning, so the views out the window are pretty, but the temp outside is -15. Brr.

Patty said...

Fun flamingo quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly goal and good luck with your project!

CA Bobbie said...

I'm new but have thoroughly loved reading your blog. You are so much more productive than me! LOVE YOUR CATS. A devoted follower now.

quiltzyx said...

Good job patrolling those Tuxedo cats Sadie & Smitty! The pieced sashings look fabulous, all of your hard work on them was worth it!

It's good to see your frolicing flamingos again. I think I'm with Sarah (Vrooman's Quilts), I like the variegated with the bit of the blues in it too.

Lovely sunset photo. My problem is that some of the best sunsets I see are on my drive home & even it I could pull over to snap a pic, there are always too many power lines in the way!

I lived through watching the royal doggies Friday night. And it turned out the Bill & Mary Ann came home instead of spending the night, so I got to sleep in my own bed. :)

QuiltGranma said...

I too am inclined to vote for the blue and pink variegated thread. but what do I know? Loving your progress!