3/4/19

Rabbits and Rainbows

My goal for yesterday's sewing was to get through at least one of my Rainbow Scrap projects for March's greens. First, I went to work on the two Charm Stars blocks. These are rather labor intensive and each block takes over an hour to make. When I was nearly to the end of my sewing day I had them finished. This one:


And this one:


With those finished, I laid all the blocks out. Here's what I have so far.


There was about an hour left before I needed to start dinner, and so I did the cutting for the Paintbox Pizzazz quilt. When I stopped for the day, I had these pieces ready for sewing. Um...excuse me...purrdon me...


There we go.


From there, I made dinner. Mike and I are both busy during the day, and so we usually veg out in front of the tube after dinner. Last night, Mike wanted to take one of our cars out for a drive. He put new bulbs in the headlights, and he wanted to adjust them. And that was fine with me. I just went to work sewing the blocks together. I didn't get them all finished, but I was close. This morning, just before sitting down here, I had them finished.


Here are all the blocks I have for this quilt so far. Um...excuse me...purrdon me. (Always with the photobombers. It's like a bad rash.)


Okay, so here we go.


And, let me tell you, I'm feeling pretty smug about having both the Rainbow quilts finished so early in the month of March.

Yesterday morning I stitched enough of the Bunny Garden to move the hoop to the right. This is turning out so cute. I just love Lynette Anderson's designs.


It was important to move to the right so I could finish stitching the bunny's tail. Is that cute, or what?
It's all filled in with French knots. I had it about half finished when I realized I was supposed to have used an off-white floss there. It was tempting to take it out, but I didn't. I just went along my merry way and filled it in with the same color. You won't tell, will you?


So I'll start to the right of the bunny this morning, and then I'll get on with the next Project Quilting challenge: Abecedarius. If that's a new word for you then don't feel bad. I never heard of it either. Here's what Kim Lapacek says about it:

The word “abecedarius” means “an alphabet primer.” Literally, the word itself is made up of a+b+c+d! It can refer to a form of poetry where the first letter of each line or verse is the next letter of the alphabet, or it can be a book where each letter is defined (A is for … B is for …).

Since I'd never even heard it spoken aloud before, I Googled "pronounce abecedarius." Interestingly, the beginning of the word is actually pronounced like the first three letters of the alphabet. In other words, just say A-B-C and then add "darius" onto the end, and you've got it. Weird, huh? So anyway...I know what I'm going to do. It can probably be finished in one day with another day for binding. For sure, it can be finished in two days. I'll just keep you in suspense until the big reveal when I'm ready to link up.

Aside from that, it's the same old same old. It's still very cold outside, but we have sunshine in the forecast for most of the next two weeks. I'm staying in and staying warm.

12 comments:

Sally Trude said...

Yup, your pea fabric is stealing the show...

Quilting Babcia said...

There is a delightful childrens book called A Peaceable Kingdom: The Shaker Abecedarius by Alice and Martin Provensen, still available on Amazon. We had a copy when the kids were little, so much fun to read and the drawings were fabulous.

piecefulwendy said...

Both of those rainbow scrap projects are so pretty; I especially like the stars! I think Sadie was inspecting quite closely there, is she a certified quilting judge and we don't know it?? Haha. There was no quilting yesterday; I had an appointment, then coffee with a friend and then some paperwork that needed attention. Today I may make a grocery run, and that should take care of my desire to be out in this cold. We are currently at 1 degree. The sun is shining though!

Lynette said...

What an interesting trivia learn - I'm actually reading an old abecedarius right now, "The Story of Appleby Capple." heh!
Bun-Bun's tail looks great in that color. Probably shows up much better. Yes, Lynette Anderson designs are wonderful.

quiltzyx said...

You got a LOT of blocks made for your rainbows! Good thing you have those inspectors to keep you on the up & up.

I like the bunny's tail!! It is going to be a very cute finish.

I am moving so slow on the things I want to finish. I worked a bit on the zipper bag I'm making, but then had to stop - I could feel that if I tried to put the zipper in, things were going to go VERY BADLY for me. Thought about working on it tonight - then got a call from the colleges that I was supposed to be working tonight!! Yikes! Cathy usually texts me the day before to remind me, but she forgot & I had in my calendar that I was working for her from tomorrow thru' next Weds. Luckily Doris called & could wait until I got here. Shesh! I am looking forward to the extra hours though.

kc said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the bunny tail (and the kitties' tails too). I think if it had been white or cream, it wouldn't even be noticeable, so the brown is an improvement, in my book. I love all those adorable designs, and your embroidery is absolutely bringing me joy!

Lots of colors and fabrics in those rainbows - I love the little peas that got in there. Odd, bc I despise peas in real life...



Danette said...

The bunny's tail is so cute! I love French knots, although I have not embroidered them for quite a while. I am participating in abecedarius, also. Hopefully, I will get mine done by Saturday.

Mari said...

How nice that you have such attentive quilt inspectors to keep you from making mistakes! Love all the variations in your stars.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on getting your RSC blocks finished for GREEN month. All I've managed to do is locate the scraps! Sewing will have to wait.

scraphappy said...

You have made great progress in the first 10 days of the month. Great looking greens!

Cathy said...

Peas, broccoli, corn and cukes in quilt blocks? Oh my, what could be better?

Rabbits on fabric are cute no matter their tail color. But I don't want to see any rabbit tails in my garden.

Brown Family said...

So many Pretty Blocks! I hate to take out french knots out, so I would have done what you did!