3/7/19

PQ Challenge 5: Abecedasius


It's snowing again. Himself has had enough of this nonsense. It's March, for goodness sake. We're going to "spring ahead" in just a few days. Heck, the vernal equinox is just around the corner. Hmph.
Although it snowed almost all day yesterday, I was brave and went out for my haircut appointment. When I got home, kitties were chomping at the bit for (1) kitty treats, and (2) going outside. I barely saw them once the door opened, but evidence of them was all around.


They were only out long enough to get wet and cold, and then back in. By that time, I was back to work finishing the quilting on the "L is for Love" quilt for this week's Project Quilting challenge.


When I had that finished, I decided to do a sort of heart-shaped feather in the outer border. I ended up with a half-hearted attempt. Actually, this is exactly what I had in mind.


That was pretty quick to stitch, and then I squared it up and sewed on the binding. It ends up at 24 x 28 inches.


When I took it up to a more comfortable chair to put binding clips on, I found this on the quilt back. Aggravating. It's a flaw in the fabric. I fixed it this morning, and I'll show you what I did in just a minute.


It took about an hour to hand sew the binding, and my project was finished.


Here's how it looks from the back. Once again...for the second time ever...I remembered to add the little quilt label.


As for that little hole, I used some embroidery floss and satin-stitched over and around it. That should keep it from getting any larger. It isn't a perfect solution, but a perfect solution would be for there not to be a hole there. This morning I'm celebrating First World problems.


So I was hopeful of showing you a few more pictures of the quilting, but then my friend the Photobomber showed up.


She thinks this makes an excellent bath mat, and she took this opportunity to groom herself. A girl wants to look her best for pictures, you know.


But I encouraged her to move along. Here's the sort of meandering echoing heart I did in the center of the quilt.


Here's another look at my half-hearted feather. I kind of like it.


And that's another one over the finish line. This morning I'll link up to Challenge 5 for Project Quilting.


If you want to see other challenge entries, then click right here.

Snow has continued to fall since early this morning. Mike called to tell me that the roads are clear, and so I'm going to be brave and head out to my pedicure appointment. When I get home later today, I'll get to work quilting the flamingos. No more excuses.

9 comments:

Sally Trude said...

By the way, down here with the bottom dwellers there is no snow, and we are even having little bouts of sunshine. This, however, does not seem to have any effect on feline dissatisfaction. It is running at about 11 out of 10. I think the on/off switch is somewhere in the belly area, but I haven't been able to find it.

Linda said...

I am just curious, what do you do with all your quilts? Do you keep them? sell them? give them away? you make so many lovely ones, I just wondered.

quiltzyx said...

I like your half-hearted quilting motifs as well - nice finish!

Sadie is so nice & shiny!! Hard to believe she was out in the snow earlier.

We were cloudy all day, but no rain here. Last night on my way home from Job #2, there was a major downpour while I was on the freeway. Felt like I was hydroplaning a little, so I slowed down...and then saw HEADLIGHTS in front of me! Luckily the car was all the way to the right on the shoulder of the fwy. Scary though. Decided I had had enough floating, so got off the freeway & took surface streets the rest of the way. I tell ya, every day is an adventure!

Kate said...

Congrats on a very fun and bright challenge piece. I hate finding those little "errors" in fabric after you've used them in a quilt. At least it was on the back and not the front.

PersimonDreams said...

it's lovely! Way to fix the "problem" ;)

Brown Family said...

I like the backing fabric!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Barbara! I do enjoy seeing a good furry photo bomber! This little project turned out just great, and I LOVE the binding you chose. Nice and bright to pull out the pretty colors in the dots. And that backing is perfect too. I can honestly say I really enjoy the half-hearted feather border, too. I think I need to PIN that idea for the next time I'm struggling for what to do to just finish off a quilt, as I often do the wondering hearts in the center. ~smile~ Roseanne

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

This is such a great project - perfect for the theme! The colors are so fun and bright, and I enjoyed seeing your quilting close up (as well as the photobomber)!

Sandra Walker said...

But of course PQ stuff is DrEAMi! stuff! I'd hoped to join in this year but I put the ol' blinders on... Love this LOVE project, great solution for that most annoying and disappointing hole in the fabric (I've had some of those in my life) and love the cats' photobombing and footprints pics! Thank you for linking up with DrEAMi!