3/6/19

Baking, Sewing, Laundry, and Everything

Yesterday was another cold and windy day, finished off with a fabulous sunset. This time, I looked in the right direction.


It took only a few minutes for that distinct ridge of clouds to dissipate, and then it took on a more uniform red and blue glow.


The day started with bread dough. This is an interesting dough, made from all-purpose, whole wheat, and rye flours, along with salt, yeast, and a surprise addition of sparkling cider (like Martinelli's). I neglected to take pictures of the first few steps. When I wrote yesterday, it was still coming to room temperature. After it warmed up enough, I flattened it out and added bits of apple, folding the dough and adding more apple, a little bit at a time until it was all incorporated (one Granny Smith apple was enough). After that, I shaped it into a ball and put it in a bowl coated with walnut oil and let it rise for about 2-1/2 hours.


The next step was to deflate it and shape it into a ball, then let it rise in a banneton. When I left it to rise, it looked like this.


About 1-1/2 hours later, it had risen significantly and was ready for baking.


It went into the oven and onto a preheated baking stone sprinkled with cornmeal.


After about 40 minutes...oooh...aaaaah. One loaf of Country Bread with Apples.


After it cooled, I cut into it. It looks like this inside.


We had it with some soup for dinner last night, and then again this morning, toasted, and spread with some apple pie jam I made last summer. Mmm, mmm, mmm. So, I've given you the link to the recipe back there, but I've become aware that some recipes in the NYTimes require a paid subscription. If you want the recipe and can't open the link, then email me, and I'll send it to you.

So while all that was going on, I was doing laundry and sewing. I made the 10th Tiny Tuesday block. This one is a "multiplying four-patch." Pretty cute. It's a four-patch in a four-patch in a four-patch. You can find the instructions for that right here.


It's set in a diagonal setting this week.


Then, I got to work finishing the top for the Project Quilting challenge, Abecedasius. Interestingly, that was the word of the day from Merriam-Webster that came across my email this morning.


So here's my quilt top. It was hard finding a border fabric, and I wanted the quilt a little larger. With Mike's input, I decided to use the same fabric from the background with a little stop border of that stripey stuff. I'll use the same stripe for the binding when it's finished.


This is the fabric I'm using for the back. It's been in my stash absolutely forEVER!


It took a lot longer to get to this point than expected, and so I won't finish it off before this afternoon. Do you ever have a day where you can't seem to do anything right? And you forget how to do simple math? That sort of thing. So anyway, when I started quilting, I stitched in the ditch around the letters and heart, deviating to stitch diagonally where I could. Deviating: related to "deviance." Just sayin' in case you're keeping track.


Here's how that's looking from the back.


Then I started filling in the background with this meandering heart fill. I was about 1/3 of the way when I needed to stop for the day.


I'm filling in all the areas inside the stop border this way, and then I'll have to decide whether to do the same thing in the outer border or do something else. I'll decide when I get that far. I'm really hoping to get this finished off today because the flamingos are squawking..."Quilt us now!" Birds. Ya gotta love 'em.

Today I'm heading out for the haircut I rescheduled from last week because of snow. As I look out the window now, there is snow falling. Yikes. Hopefully, it won't get in my way, but I really don't like driving in snow. It's supposed to warm up in a few hours, so maybe it won't stick around. Aside from that, I'll just push on with my quilting through the afternoon.

7 comments:

heartsease54 said...

The material for the stop border and the backing couldn't be any more perfect for this..great choices!

Bits of Stitching! said...

What a breathtaking sunset! Your blocks turned out lovely!

Jenny said...

What a beautiful sunset, ooh those colours. I've found that you have to be quick taking photos because the colours fade so fast. As for your home made bread, it looks delicious!

quiltzyx said...

The sunset is just stunning! Wow!!

Your stop border & backing have great matching colors to the Project Quilting challenge quilt. Isn't it great when you can 'shop' in your stash?

Hope you made it to your hair appt & home again jiggity jig! We had quite a storm overnight. I woke up around 1:30 & while I didn't see any lightning, I sure heard a LOT of thunder! And it rained hard on & off all day today. "They" say we'll be cloudy the rest of the week, but no rain to speak of until next Monday. But, that was this morning, so who knows what 'they' are saying now!

piecefulwendy said...

Oh my, those sunset photos are just stunning! I like the little mini striped border in your quilt. It adds just the right pop. How satisfying to get a mini done from start to finish in just a few days, right?! That bread looks delicious. Do you tip it from the banneton right onto the stone? We are heading to my brother's today, staying for the weekend, hoping to head home Sunday. But the forecast is for another snowstorm, so we may be stranded there until Monday. At least I'll be able to sew and be with good company! I'm nervous about leaving Wilbur for his first long weekend without me (haha). Our son will be home with him, but I still worry Wilbur will get into something he shouldn't. Geez. It'll be fine.

Brenda said...

Would you be able and willing to share your bread recipe? My son is allergic to dairy foods so this bread would be awesome if there isn't any milk in it or butter.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

That bread looks awesome! Great color in your new mini and great find on the backing - compliments the whole piece.