3/30/19

Posting on the Road

Today we're headed for Bend, Oregon, and we'll be home tomorrow. We had sandwich bread left for one more day of lunches, and so we stopped at a Subway in Alturas, California. We got our sandwiches and brought them back to the RV to eat. We need to let the kitties out of the bedroom at lunch. They have water going down the road, but no food, and so they are always ready for lunch too. And all of that to say that Mike is taking his nap, and I'm standing at the kitchen counter with the laptop writing this post. The laptop can only be plugged into certain outlets when we're working off the inverter, and that means I have to stand. No biggy...I've been sitting all morning.

Let's just back up to the drive from yesterday, shall we? Look at this picture below, and you'll know pretty much what we saw yesterday.


There were a few interesting diversions. For instance, we drove through this area where there were quite a few Joshua Trees. The Joshua Trees are blooming right now, although not too many in this area. They only grow at certain elevations, and this was it...somewhere around 4,000 feet(?).


Also...a number of historic towns...all quite small. It's the western side of Nevada, and there isn't much here.


We drove past the Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Project. We saw this on a previous trip. It looks as if aliens took up residence here. I'm in a hurry, or I'd say more about it. If you're interested, click on that link back there.


Many of the small towns we drove through were inhabited by a few people, but many of the structures looked like ones you might see in a ghost town. As far as we could tell, these structures were not inhabited. The ones housing humans were in slightly better shape, but not much.


Toward the end of the day, we drove through some colorful landscape that reminded us on the Artist's Drive in Death Valley.



Shortly before reaching Fallon, we crossed over the trail used by the Pony Express back in the day. I looked, but there was no sign. You can see it on the dotted line of the map below.


As we approached Reno, we started seeing some beautiful puffy white clouds. There was raking light shining through that I couldn't capture with my camera. Also, the Sierra Nevadas can be seen off in the distance. It was very pretty here.


It was a long day of driving for all of us, and the kitties were itching to get out on their catio. They're very good about sharing and giving one another equal time.


Smitty has always been a cat who considers his options carefully before committing fully to any activity.


Before leaving Pahrump yesterday, I stitched the whole hoop of my embroidery project. As expected, I'm going to run out of the green before I'm finished with this last block.


We ended up not driving through Carson City as we'd expected, but not to worry. Reno had its own Jo-Ann. And not to worry there either because Jo-Ann never fails to disappoint. We found the Jo-Ann just about five minutes away from the RV park. When I looked in the numbered bin for my color, it was empty. Of course it was. So I searched quickly and found a Michael's just up the road. They also sell embroidery floss. When I looked at the numbered bin there, I found ONE LAST SKEIN of the color I wanted. Man, I must be living right.

Okay, so like I said...I'm posting from the road, and I probably won't post again until we get home. We're meeting up with some friends in Bend, and I doubt I'll have time for that. With that in mind, I'll see you on the other side with news of the last leg of the trip.

8 comments:

quiltzyx said...

I love sky & cloud photos! Makes me take a few deep breaths & relax.

Have fun with your friends in Bend and an easy road home from there.

Huzzah on finding that last skein of green!

QuiltShopGal said...

Nice travel day. I hope you have time to visit the two big quilt shops in Reno/Sparks.

Rebecca in AK said...

I have enjoyed the photos from your travels, especially the wild flowers. So pretty! Can you imagine crossing that country in a wagon!

Julierose said...

Lovely journey photos--you have had quite a nice trip...hugs, Julieroe

SJSM said...

Those large wide open spaces seem to get shorter and shorter as our population grows. This stretch does seem to have less traffic and people that either Interstate 80, 8 or 10. Going north/south once you move east of Interstate 5 seems to have fewer people traveling. Geez, I’m so old I remember traveling US HWY 58 to Route 66 to get back east. That was a long desolate haul. Getting the Interstate system was a huge time saver. It does look as if you are taking the old US HWY system on this leg. The road looks to be kept in good shape.

Happy travels!

piecefulwendy said...

Boy, that's a long stretch of wide open road. Makes me think of when we trek across Nebraska to get to Colorado. No surprise on not finding what you need at Joann's. You know how much I (don't) love that place! Sounds like you've had a lovely trip. Safe travels as you head home!

Quilting Tangent said...

Not use to that wide open country. You found your floss!

Brown Family said...

That looks like a long lonely road. At least there was a little scenery to see!