3/31/19

Many Miles of Majestic Mountains

You'd be disappointed if I didn't lay a little awesome alliteration on you before our trip is over, wouldn't you? We're home now, and there's quite a bit of catching up to do, both blog-wise and unpacking-wise. So let's just back up to when we left Reno, Nevada, yesterday morning. It was going to be a long day of driving, and so we got an early start. It wasn't long before we crossed the border into northern California.


It's a beautiful part of the country, ringed with mountains.


We drove miles and miles of open highway.


There were beautiful puffy white clouds in the sky.


And we saw lots of barns. I was wishing I could have gotten a better shot of the one below. With the bright snow-capped peaks in the background, I could only get it in silhouette.


Some of these appeared to be abandoned.





Eventually, we crossed the border into southeastern Oregon. It's always good to see this sign and know we're getting close to home.


We had a nice visit with our friends in Bend last night, and a very nice dinner out. Our day of driving was much shorter today, and so I had some time to spend slow-stitching this morning. Now I've moved the hoop to the bottom right side of the design. This one is coming close to being finished, and then it will be time to sew the nine blocks into a quilt top.


If northern California was beautiful, central Oregon is even more so. The jagged peaks of the Cascades are breath-taking. Ahead is Mt. Jefferson.


These are the Three Sisters.


This one is Mt. Washington.


This next one is Three Fingered Jack.


We stopped off at the Stitchin' Post in Sisters. I've blogged about this quilt shop before, and so I won't do it again. You can read my previous post about it right here.


Wanna see that quilt hanging out front? Tempting, isn't it?


Here's the info about it if you're interested.


For this visit, I was specifically on the hunt for two fabrics to finish off the Sundress quilt. I needed a yellow solid or a tone-on-tone. I liked this one.


And I needed a small scale multi-colored print with the colors of the quilt in it. I liked this one.


The first one I selected was this one, but it didn't have enough color in it.


But then, I noticed this...


Well. Say no more. Two yards, please.

And then we continued on our way. When we see Mt. Hood come into view, we know home isn't far away.


In about an hour we were home, and don't you suppose the kitties were happy to get out of the trailer. Smitty seemed to breathe it in.


Here's a cat on a mission.


This little person was none too happy to see cats arrive on the scene. He scolded and scolded them.


So there are lots of blooming things in the garden to catch up on, but I'll save that for tomorrow. We're expecting rain for a good part of the day. I'll be spending the day unpacking the trailer, making up a grocery list, and putting things back to normal.

Thanks to all who followed along and left such nice comments. It's always fun to travel with friends.

14 comments:

djquilting said...

Glad you made it back home. Traveling is fun but there's no place like home. Thanks for all the beautiful scenery pictures.

WoolenSails said...

The landscapes are so beautiful, just traveling down the roads, is a big part of the trip.

Debbie

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Well there are miles of majestic mountains and thank you for sharing your journey with us. Alway good to be back home no matter whether a long or short journey. nd the furkids seem happy to be home!

Anonymous said...

I particularly enjoyed your Oregon pictures as I’ve been to Brookings, which is about 5 miles north of the OR - CA border. The snow covered mountains are breathtaking! And yay for happy kitties!

Tilly said...

Thank you for sharing all the beautiful pictures, love it. And Smitty finally back to base.greetings Tilly

piecefulwendy said...

What beautiful views to come home too! Welcome home!

Emma's Daughter said...

I love traveling with you. Yours is the first blog I read every morning, especially when you’re traveling. Love the antics of the kitties. Thanks so much for your efforts.

Quilter Kathy said...

Lovely vistas!
Can't believe you're almost done your stitchery!
What a sweet strawberry quilt!

Charlotte M. said...

Welcome home and thanks for all the mountain pictures. They are lovely.

Lee said...

Thank YOU for sharing your trip with us; it's always fun to travel along with you :)

Beth said...

Home again, home again. This California girl (Huntington Beach) always loves to see the photos of your travels to "the Southland" but I can appreciate that deeply relaxing feeling of being back in Oregon again--so few people! So much open, green space! And the comfort of your own bed. Thanks for taking us along, and welcome home.

Brown Family said...

I always enjoy the snowy mountains! Those fabrics are going to look good with the sundresses. Glad you are home safe.

QuiltGranma said...

I too love snowy mountains, barns, kitties, gardening, embroidery, your sense of humor and QUILTS. That's why I enjoy your blog so much. And I enjoy traveling with you via blogland. Keep up the good work!

Kate said...

Looks like a wonderful trip, with some pretty hikes and gorgeous scenery. Hope you've been able to get everything unpacked and back to normal.