3/19/19

Borrego Springs, California

When I finished writing yesterday's post, I looked across the table to see this:


Did you choose this upholstery color to match my beautiful furs?

We weren't meeting her needs in the treat category, and she was letting us know with her eyes. When I had her taken care of, I went back to work sewing the quilt binding. By day's end, I had turned two corners.


The weather was getting warmer yesterday, and these two Oregon cats are still wearing their winter coats. They were flat cats lying on the bed yesterday evening.


Mike and I got out for a short walk while they were napping. The Santa Clara River ran right behind the campground. These weed heads glinting in the sun caught my eye.


The river isn't much more than a stream right now, but there is a wide wash on either side attesting to the power of the water that runs through at different times of the year. I suspect it was very wet during the recent rains.


Interestingly, there are tall trees all around the area, but the trees in the river bed appear to have burned at some point in time. They were all blackened and dead. Also, you can see the nearly full moon between the branches in the image below.


We saw this one blooming thing along our walk.


When I got up this morning, I finished the binding on the flamingos. Of course, I had help.


About an hour later, I had a finish.


That was my March OMG, and so I'll be linking up toward the end of the month.


It wasn't long after that we took off for Borrego Springs. Sadie has claimed the "L is for Love" quilt for her catbird seat window viewing pleasure.


We traveled mainly through desert landscape today. Along the way, we saw wildflowers blooming everywhere. The poppies paint the hillsides.


Also, we came upon a yellow flower we hadn't seen yesterday. It was hard to tell what it was as we sped by.


When we stopped to refuel, I was able to get a close-up. I brought in my wildflower books, but I haven't had a chance to identify this yet. 


When I looked overhead, I realized I was standing under a pepper tree. You can see the peppercorns.


Continuing on, we saw more color. I believe the purple are a kind of desert lupine.


When we traveled the last road through Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, flowers lined the road.


We're in the RV park now, and it's quite warm. We've turned on the air-conditioner for the first time this trip, and Mike headed over to the pool for a quick dip. I'll go a little later when it isn't so busy. There is a nice laundromat here, and I want to wash a load of jeans. We have a washer/dryer combo, but jeans don't do as well in the small drum. I've learned I can do them faster and nicer in a regular laundromat, and so I'll take advantage of the one here for that.

Our friends Deb and Tom are meeting up with us tomorrow, and we'll go do some hiking to see more wildflowers. Until then, I'm going to get started on the next block for Appalachian Memories. I doubt I can finish it before our trip ends, but sometimes I surprise myself.

13 comments:

gpc said...

It's warm here today, too -- I think it went up to 45. No one was wearing jackets. I've never seen a pepper tree -- so many exotic trees, what fun!

quiltzyx said...

Yes! There are the lupine! I love the look of the Lupine & Poppies together.

Enjoy your pool & hot tub time. :)

Robin said...

Beautiful pictures, especially the flamingos:) Sounds like you're enjoying your trip. Have a special time with your friends.

QuiltShopGal said...

What a fun trip. Quilts, Flowers, Cats, walks, catnaps and I'm sure, good food & friends. Your drive today looks beautiful, as your new place to stay. I've never seen water flowing in Borrego Springs, nor any place in any desert. Glad you were able to see it.

BTW - Our forecast shows showers coming in tonight thru Thursday, but a max of a 1/2" of rain is to come. I'm not sure if any of it will make it to where you are.

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Fabulous photographs - those flowers are lovely!

Dorothy said...

And your blog surprises me every day and makes me happy every day. Thank you for taking us all with you this trip.

piecefulwendy said...

We have done very little traveling in California, so it's fun to ride along with you. Seeing anything flowering is a highlight right now. Sadie looks like she could drill through you with that look. Ha. Hope you have a lovely, relaxing stay at Borrego Springs. Love the flamingo quilt!

Kate said...

Love all the wildflowers! It's just now starting to warm up here, so hopefully ours will start to flower soon. Congrats on finishing up the Flamingos! That is such a cute and colorful quilt. Hope you had a great time with your friends.

Quilting Tangent said...

Still cold and snowy here. Weed seed heads - looks like summer.

QuiltGranma said...

That yellow flower looks like some kind of aster. Couldn't find the exact one in my book which covers WA, OR and the northern tip of CA. Looks like you are having a wonderful trip, and so glad you are sharing it with us. Thank you!

Brown Family said...

Always pretty flowers! Happy Kitties

Quilting Babcia said...

I thought I had commented when you first posted this but I guess it disappeared into the black hole. Your quilting makes the flamingos come alive! Great finish, very show-worthy imho.

Patty said...

Very nice! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.