3/18/19

Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve

It wasn't a sure thing that I could post today. We are staying at a really terrible KOA in Acton, California. We have no cell service and a slow internet connection. Sometimes it makes writing a blog post with pictures downright painful.

There are no really good choices for RV parks in this area. When we visited last year, we stayed in a park in Lancaster. It was bad enough that we added it to our blacklist of RV parks; meaning, we'll never stay there again. This KOA has been so bad that I think we've finally written the whole of the KOA parks off our list. With a very few exceptions, KOA's are overpriced and run down. I won't go into all of the reasons we're unhappy with this one, but we're just here two nights, and then moving on to a park we know we like in Borrego Springs. KOA always sends us an email after a stay asking us to rate their park. Generally, I complain about most everything, and this time will be no different. I keep saying to Mike, "that'll be in my report." Our membership expires in May, and we will not be renewing. Ever. 

So, rant over, and let's get on with the traveling, shall we? Before leaving Coalinga yesterday, we got Smitty out for a walk. There wasn't a lot of walking, but he did find some tall grass on which to graze. He really likes a little greenery in his diet.


We're having to learn all the new kitty hidey holes with this new rig. We've learned a few of them. Yesterday, we played the Where's Smitty? game. He's found a nice little hiding place on either side of the bed. We think this is where they like to ride when we go down the road.


All the way as we've been going down the road, we've seen lots of birds of prey. It's impossible to get a shot of them, but I tried getting this one just as he took off from a fence post. We've seen hawks and kestrels, and we even think we saw a bald eagle. As it turns out, this was nothing more exotic than a crow.


We've also seen lots of wildflowers just driving down the road. Here's a field of yellow...hard to say what they are without seeing them up close.


We drove without stopping for lunch yesterday because the drive was relatively short. At one point, Mike got sleepy and so we stopped at a truck stop to pick up some Red Bull for him. As we were getting back in the truck to continue on, we noticed this sign directly ahead of us. Taft is Mike's birthplace. We're often threatening to go take a look because Mike hasn't been back to the place since his mom moved him and his sister to Vista when he was two. We're both kind of curious to see what the place looks like, but so far...no dice. We continued on.


We still had about 60 miles to go, but wow...after so long traveling I-5, we were very glad to get off here.


The hillsides are all abloom with wildflowers. It was encouraging because we've heard conflicting reports about what we'll see.


Below is the hillside directly above our campsite.


This morning I had time to finish the hand quilting for my little embroidery sampler. I still want to give this a green binding.


There was still time for stitching this morning, and so I went to work on the flamingo binding. I've turned the first corner, but no picture. You'll have to take my word for it.

After that, we headed out to the poppy reserve. It's about an hour away from us. We stopped off first to have Egg McMuffin at McDonald's. We rarely eat fast food, but we loves us an Egg McMuff when we're traveling. As we approached the poppy reserve, we could see bright patches of color off in the distance.


We arrived around 10:00 a.m. If memory serves, they open their gates around 9:00 a.m.


Already there was about a 10 minute wait to pay our day use fee at the gate, but there was still plenty of parking.


Getting out of the truck we looked up and saw this:


Before we go on, I need to let you know how we're going to die today. Watch your step, please. Stay on the trail, no picking the flowers, and nobody gets hurt.


And what a thrill this was. I don't think the flowers have reached their peak bloom yet, but they were still wonderful.


Here are a few close-ups. This is the state flower of California, and it's easy to see why.


Mike recycled our handout before I had a chance to identify all of these. Maybe one of you will know.


The Painted Lady butterflies are migrating through by the zillions. We've seen thousands at least. They really liked this particular yellow flower.


They are hard to photograph because they fly fast and rarely light anywhere. There was an interesting article about them in this morning's NY Times. It was hard to see my camera screen in the bright sunlight, and it seemed as soon as I had a bead on one, it flew away and vanished. Often, I was just shooting blind, hoping to get something.  Luck was with me, and I got some pretty good shots.



This one held still for quite some time. If I'm remembering what I know about them, they often land on the dirt to get water and/or salt.


So it was quite a thrill to see the poppies and the butterflies.


Near the interpretive center, there was a Joshua Tree in bloom.


The image above is the largest bloom, but it also had some smaller ones near the top.


When we left the park, the line to get in was significantly longer.


We stopped off at a grocery store and then had our requisite In-N-Out Burger. We don't have In-N-Out in Oregon...except one that is too far south for us. But we're not bitter. Oh no. Anyway...we always have one when we're in Southern California. When we got back to the RV, we got Smitty out for another short walk. What he really wanted was to roll in the dust.


Okay, and that brings you up to date. We'll be moving on to Borrego Springs tomorrow. We're staying at a very nice (and very expensive) RV park there where they have the most delicious hot tubs from mineral hot springs. We'll be there three nights, and we'll be doing some hiking in the Anza-Borrego Desert where the wildflower superbloom is in progress. After that, we'll move along to Death Valley.

15 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

We both love California poppies, and were pleased to find out we can grow them here too. Sometimes the dropped seeds will winter over if it's not too cold, but better to plant fresh seed every spring. The butterflies are a real treat to see too. Great nature photos, as always!

Susie said...

great post - so interesting. Thanks for sharing.

QuiltShopGal said...

Wowser. Your photos looked so beautiful I would have thought you hid the peak of bloom season. Can't imagine how much more beautiful it might be at peak, as it looks stunning for your visit. Sorry about your bad KOA experience. There are so many RVs out there and it doesn't seem that many RV Parks, one would think that KOA would work with their park owners to create & maintain a minimal standard. Glad to know you will be pampered with your park site in Borrego Springs. You all deserve the very best.

Cathy said...

I really enjoy following your travels. My husband was also born in Taft, but didn't leave until after he graduated from college. We go back there occasionally so he can see all the changes.

We must be lucky, but although expensive, most of the KOA's we've stayed at have been very acceptable.

Kate said...

Beautiful wildflowers! Looks like you timed your trip to the park just right. Safe travels tomorrow.

WoolenSails said...

The poppies are beautiful, I can imagine how nice it was to see them in person.

Debbie

Barbara said...

Beautiful poppies. I read about this app the other day and thought of you. https://www.inaturalist.org
It's available for both Android and Apple and it's free!

SJSM said...

Saw on the news the park had to close due to too many visitors. The people were tramping on the flowers as the paths were overloaded. They did open up sporadically when the numbers fell lower. You were smart to get there ahead of time. Lovely pictures.

It seems I know a lot of people from Taft. It must be a town that churns through a lot of people. The oil fields bring them in for employment but the kids leave for education and don’t go back. It’s a hot place in the summer.

gpc said...

How beautiful. I love poppies and I love painted ladies. When my kids were little and we were able to set up "butterfly houses" with mail-ordered caterpillars, they were always painted ladies. So much fun to watch and release. Both flora and fauna so delicate and fragile looking but still enduring despite the mess we've made of things.

As it happens, I also loves me some Egg McMuffins. When I was in law school, where the grade of every class hinged on a single exam, Egg McMuffins were the treat I gave myself when the exams were over. They still taste like victory and survival to me.

piecefulwendy said...

I'm going to pretend I'm looking at that hill of beautiful orange poppies when I look out the window today, rather than seeing the rising creek that has now made my backyard lakefront property. Poppies are much prettier. Glad you got in there before the crowds too. The hot tubs sound intriguing, as does the wildflower superbloom. Fun!

Margaret said...

I’m enjoying your travels, and appreciate your posting along the way. Have you seen the NPR story about the California Poppy field? I think you might get a kick out of it.

Quilting Tangent said...

Pretty pictures of poppies and other flowers. Thanks for the warning about KOAs.

quiltzyx said...

Oh yay! So glad that the poppies gave you a good show! There were also a lot of lupine when I was there, 1/2 million years ago.
My Dad worked in Taft in construction when I was a kiddo. He had a little travel trailer that he parked there, then came home on the weekends. He would throw his loose change into his dirty clothes bag & it was a treasure hunt for me to find those pennies & nickels!!
Smitty looks exceedingly handsome in his walking outfit - you can tell him I said so too. Hope he doesn't get too big of a head over it.

Brown Family said...

Beautiful Poppies! I would love to see them!

ytsmom said...

Egg McMuffins are the best thing at McDonalds